Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gothic 3 interview at RPG Vault

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted an <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/705/705884p1.html>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.gothic3.com>Gothic 3</a>'s Kai Rosenkranz:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Turning to the particulars of the game, what style of RPG will it be, and what type of gameplay will it offer? What will differentiate it from other titles that might initially seem similar?</b>
<br>

<br>
The scope is much larger than the previous games, and we have added a number of improvements - apart from the stunning graphics and improved AI - that will make the world react to each action the player takes. This not only means that the city watch will try to arrest you if you steal from the merchant; you may also rise to lead whole settlements in revolt against the Orcish occupation or become a renowned gladiator or slave master. Your actions will have ramifications far beyond your immediate surroundings on a truly epic scale. This will, of course, mean that each and every game you play will be different and may end differently.
<br>
<br>
An important difference from many recent games comes about with the story and gameplay shift toward interacting with the world. You will need to find allies and supporters, not just in the sense of NPC henchman, but really on a wider scale. You may need to convince a barbarian tribe to help you storm the Orc camp, but for this, you must steal the totem of their rival tribe that will turn against you because of this. So, it is all about choices and consequences, which makes the game that much more alive. </blockquote>Epic consequences? That's one use of "epic" that I don't mind.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com/">RPG Dot</A>

GTaher

Novice
This whole interview sounds really promising. Upping the level of consequence (politically and socially) of character choices and keeping the gritty feel of the original games is all I really wanted out of this game.
They could use the same engine as G2 (or even G1) and it would be my top pick for the year.

Fresh

Erudite
Another important aspect is the gritty realism of the world. The world of Gothic is much closer to reality - the way people talk, their motivations and surroundings, even down to the color palette we choose is all about creating a world that is a step away from the high fantasy fare that we see so often in the genre. Instead of elves, the forest is filled with giant lizards that are much less hospitable. ;) Thus, the usual duality of good and evil is also not quite so apparent - Gothic is a complex and distinct world with believable protagonists and goals.
Great stuff. How refreshing it is to hear words like these.

You may choose to join the slave traders and collect slaves for them, but then your caravan may be attacked by the tribesmen of the slaves you hunted down.
:shock:

Most of the team has been together since the first Gothic game, and we are thoroughly dedicated to the brand. We are located in Essen, Germany, and currently employ 19 people - some of us even live in the office and I mean that literally.
19? That sounds like nothing..

Kendar

Novice
The interview said:
You may choose to join the slave traders and collect slaves for them, but then your caravan may be attacked by the tribesmen of the slaves you hunted down.
The "tribesmen" ? I hope that means that the south region and the north region will be opposed. I smell a great "choose your side" here.
!HyPeRbOy! said:
They were 20,, but one of them died in January (16 I think).

Atrokkus

Erudite
Yay! Just like the old Fallout days...

Think Troika. (no further implications, just the group size)

One Wolf

Scholar
man, i don't kno how to feel about that review at all. on the one hand, there were several features mentioned that i haven't seen in any modern rpgs (reactive world, open play, dark atmosphere, believable protagonist), and then there were all those disconcerting buzzwords (seamless, breath-taking, "living, breathing", stunning, etc.) so common to pr hype.

all in all, i can't wait to find out more, just the ideas behind the game design sound to good to be true. which is worrying. better not get up too much hope and suffer the pain of disappointment.

though with the possibility of joining the orcs and becoming a slave trader, how bad can it be? i'll be ok as long as i can crush my enemies, drive them before me, and hear the lamentations of their women (for the sake of enslavement of course!).

Fresh

Erudite
One Wolf said:
though with the possibility of joining the orcs and becoming a slave trader, how bad can it be? i'll be ok as long as i can crush my enemies, drive them before me, and hear the lamentations of their women (for the sake of enslavement of course!).

:D

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
lol.

For what it's worth, Gothic was a very good game, but the ideas were much better than the actual implementation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom