Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gothic III - Part I

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

Vault Dweller has been out asking people questions again. This time, <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=131">he talked to Kai Rosenkranz</a> about <a href="http://www.piranha-bytes.com/">Piranha Bytes'</a> upcoming game: <a href="http://www.gothic3.com/">Gothic III</a>.
<br>
<blockquote>2. It looks like Piranha Bytes is developing and evolving the once light RPG elements of Gothic 1 further with every game. Why the focus on role-playing?
<br>
<br>
Actually we haven't changed the depth of the RPG elements all that much. In some cases we had to add new numerical values in order to be able to realize new gameplay elements, but all in all the easy accessibility and the emphasis on the characters (not the numbers) remained unchanged. The level of difficulty was admittedly subject to heavy fluctuation throughout the series so far, but this was not achieved through adding weight to the RPG aspects of the games.
<br>
<br>
The opposite is the case. We have made the Gothic games easier to handle so as to make them accessible even for inexperienced RPG-players. In fact, we don't see the Gothic games as RPG games in the narrower sense. We rather consider them fantasy action adventures with certain role-playing enrichments.</blockquote>
<br>
What? <i>Honesty?</i> Why I never!
<br>
<br>
You can <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=131">read part I here</a>. Part II will be posted after E3.

Zomg

Arbiter
I think more context needs to be given when saying things like, "RPG elements" to interviewees who aren't familiar with CRPG nerd critical theory. As an example, the stereotypical "strong storyline" is not inherently connected with RPGness, but I'd bet half of gamers would say, "story" as their first word association with RPG. Good interview other than that, and a good interviewee for going sans obvious horseshit.

In my book, I wish the player had a little more say in the style that Gothic Guy presents himself. He's always an insouciant smartass, even if the player is running him as a saintly knight-errant or a baby eater.

HoodRich

Novice
I never played any of the gothic games; to tell you the truth the name kind of turned me off. But the general truthfulness in the interviews is certainly a breath of fresh air in the rpg department. Also, it is easily the best looking game i've ever seen. So yea, cool interview! This game sounds pretty good.

Lemon

Arcane
HoodRich said:
I never played any of the gothic games; to tell you the truth the name kind of turned me off. But the general truthfulness in the interviews is certainly a breath of fresh air in the rpg department. Also, it is easily the best looking game i've ever seen. So yea, cool interview! This game sounds pretty good.

Really the most interesting RPGS in the last few years along with Bloodlines. Try picking up the G2 Gold Edition and G1 if you can find it.

HardCode

Erudite
Very good information. Nice interview. I really like how he understands the importance of choice and consequence. I hope that it is well implemented in G3.

Surlent

Liturgist
A fine interview indeed. Good questions and nice answers to the point, almost feels like there's a connection between serge and rosenkranz.

Micmu

Magister
7. Speaking of saving worlds, any chance for alternative endings, depending on the actions & choices of my characters.

We don't want to give too much away, so I hope a "yes" will do. If not, here comes an "absolutely".
Music to my ears. "Immersion" and replay value right there.

Sisay

Liturgist
I understand why the interview had to be cut into to pieces but still that just seemed really short. Other than that, great work. I'm hoping the second part will have more information on the character system, it always seemed the weakest part of the first two. Oh well, at least in Gothic 4 we'll finally be free of that incredibly bland main character. I can't wait to hear how he lost all his powers this time. The choices and consequences bit sounds nice but it doesn't seem like they're concentrating that much on the roleplaying stuff beyond it. Multiple ways to solve quests aren't only about which faction you choose support.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Wow, the entire codex applauding an interview that openly states a game is RPG light and wants to increasingly cater to the casual player. Honesty is great, but this still is NOT really what I want to hear. On the other hand, the emphasis on choice bodes very well, and I guess that's the main reason why everyone here is so giddy for the title.

But people here should be aware that the wish of pleasing the casual gamer is a driving force in this games design, there may be yet undisclosed dissapointments in the design. That's a lesson I had to learn, just recently, so I'm a bit more weary right now.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GhanBuriGhan said:
Wow, the entire codex applauding an interview that openly states a game is RPG light and wants to increasingly cater to the casual player.
Track record

But people here should be aware that the wish of pleasing the casual gamer is a driving force in this games design, there may be yet undisclosed dissapointments in the design. That's a lesson I had to learn, just recently, so I'm a bit more weary right now.
Had you paid attention, you'd have seen it coming and wouldn't have to learn it the hard way. Remember, we told you and explained why, you chose not to listen.

As for the Gothic series, I don't care how they call it, what they do is what's important. Choices & consequences are the essence of a good RPG, so we are half way there. I have no doubt that they will deliver on that promise. Changes to the character system, different perks upgrading & customizing talents (skills), different perks for different weapons (fighting with swords is different than fighting with axes), etc also sound very promising.

HoodRich

Novice
Wow, the entire codex applauding an interview that openly states a game is RPG light and wants to increasingly cater to the casual player.

I don't know about anyone else here, but at least for me even though it may be a 'rpg lite' or whatever in the face of older games, it sure as hell sounds like it has more rpg stuff than anything coming out now.

What is so wrong with being casual anyways? Fallout is a pretty casual game. Just pick a few stats and start running around. Combat isn't complicated, and you can pick up and play at any point and have fun. Casual doesn't mean stupid, boring, or tedious. It's the idiot developers who make games like that and label them as being casual, which prompts the casual players to pick them up - like dungeon seige - and be totally turned off to rpgs forever because that shit isn't fun or casual. Casual games must be involving - but not to the point of obsession - and have enough replayability to warrant a casual player to continually come back to it.

I am personally dying for a good casual rpg again. One with good dialogue - as in not unnecessarily wordy but neither stupid, easy going combat that isn't a fucking clickfest, a game world that lets me make some choices that actually change things - replay value!, one that doesn't hold my hand like an idiot, and a chance to explore some different areas.

You know, i think i just like saying "casual".

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Track record

Had you paid attention, you'd have seen it coming and wouldn't have to learn it the hard way. Remember, we told you and explained why, you chose not to listen.

As for the Gothic series, I don't care how they call it, what they do is what's important. Choices & consequences are the essence of a good RPG, so we are half way there. I have no doubt that they will deliver on that promise. Changes to the character system, different perks upgrading & customizing talents (skills), different perks for different weapons (fighting with swords is different than fighting with axes), etc also sound very promising.

Now, now, don't be too vindictive. The fact that you were right about some things does not mean you actually had sufficient info to anticipate it - a lot of what you claimed as "fact" was, I still maintain, not known as fact at the time, and a lot of the reasons why I am dissapointed with Oblivion actually have nothing to do with the arguments you guys constantly threw at me (or the game). So keep your patronizing to yourself.

"Track record" is in the eye of the beholder - I lioke the series very much, but contrary to many peoples opinion, e.g. I found the "living world" aspect in G2 had taken a step back, as I encountered more NPC with no or minor scheduling, and the places just never quite reached the intensity and believability of the old camp. Also the whole dragon thing was much more cliche. Finally, besides being larger there was little in the way of evolution or innovation in the second part. Say what you want about TES, but they were not afraid to try new things - some are good, some are bad. But from this track record I am a little afraid that it's gonna be more of the same, and after playing both games + expansion, it may not feel as fresh. (That being one of my problems with OB that I did not forsee: the fact that the world is built so similarly turned me off much more than I anticipated). So it's track record not such a clearcut thing to me. As for RPG elements, I guess the fact that not even the makers of the game agree should tell you something, so what improvement can we expect on that end? But mostly, all I am saying is that there are certainly things in the FAQ posts that are ambiguous, and there may be more left unsaid. But the wait and see attitude applies to this game just as much as to any other.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Ghan, PB aren't bullshit artists.

Bethesda are.

Hence the difference in expectations towards the two companies at this site.

For what reasons would you suppose the general view at this site differs between developers? Do you really think it's anything personal?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Ghan, PB aren't bullshit artists.

Bethesda are.

Hence the difference in expectations towards the two companies at this site.

For what reasons would you suppose the general view at this site differs between developers? Do you really think it's anything personal?

Bethesda weren't before Oblivion, and even now I don't think I would use that word to describe it. Or in other words: You never know. I am optimistic, but there is so much about the game we don't know. I just find it funny how you guys always tilt to the extremes, and I still think many of you are biased as hell - even when reality sometimes proves you right :)

Kendar

Novice
Twinfalls said:
Okay, so what exactly is this 'bias'?
You are biased when you realize that the precedent games are great. However, when I see the "we make sure anyone can like this game, even RPG beginners" (something like that), I start worrying. It always sound pretty, honourable, but it always ends the same way.

HardCode

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
The fact that you were right about some things does not mean you actually had sufficient info to anticipate it - a lot of what you claimed as "fact" was, I still maintain, not known as fact at the time, and a lot of the reasons why I am dissapointed with Oblivion actually have nothing to do with the arguments you guys constantly threw at me (or the game). So keep your patronizing to yourself.

You know, you are basically admitting that VD was right although you won't admit it. Double-talk. Just take it like a man and tell VD his insights into Oblivion were better than anything Yoda could have done and that you were wrong all along. Hey, you just admitted to that above!

HardCode

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
... but there is so much about the game we don't know. I just find it funny how you guys always tilt to the extremes, ...

Even Coco the Gorilla gets it after two or three times :roll:

Twinfalls

Erudite
Kendar said:
Twinfalls said:
Okay, so what exactly is this 'bias'?
You are biased when you realize that the precedent games are great.

That's not 'bias'. That's recognising a track record, which is relevant in all sorts of ways.

The specific bias being levelled at this site, let's face it, is one of being 'anti-Bethesda'. I'd like someone who thinks this is the case to actually articulate what they mean by this.

elander_

Arbiter
GhanBuriGhan said:
But people here should be aware that the wish of pleasing the casual gamer is a driving force in this games design, there may be yet undisclosed dissapointments in the design.

O'rly? No kidding? :mrgreen:

GhanBuriGhan said:
Say what you want about TES, but they were not afraid to try new things - some are good, some are bad. But from this track record I am a little afraid that it's gonna be more of the same, and after playing both games + expansion, it may not feel as fresh.

Try new things is just plain stupid when they don't understand or even try to understand how the old things worked or what were they made for and what problems did those features tried to solve. When this happens they just keep repeating the same screwups in new and memorable ways.

I just don't believe this Beth team with the current project leader and game designer can do anything that other people will want to follow. Tell me something realy inovating and not just brutaly hacked from another game and inserted into the series without any sensibility these guys have come up with?

GhanBuriGhan said:
(That being one of my problems with OB that I did not forsee: the fact that the world is built so similarly turned me off much more than I anticipated).

Yes all that uniqueness is working so well isn't it? Daggerfall is a lot of the same proceduraly generated crap they said. It's true that Daggerfall graphics were bad and the game was overall unpolished but Daggerfall was an hell of game. The only thing they innovated in was in turning Oblivion into a nice shiny crap wraped on lovely paper. Sure that Oblivion has great potential. RAI is a good idea potentialy; leveled creatures is great if well used; conversations between npcs are great if well used; the only part missing is game design.

Unlike Oblivion the Gothic series are being developed by the original designers and it's a game that actualy makes an effort in providing good gameplay. They are evolving the series with sensibility because they made the previous episodes. Besides i think people enjoy a PR who doesn't lie all the time to its fans or doen't try to pull ship-ass tricks like a warrior on an horse holding a sword on his hands or a video showing dynamic soft-shadows in action.

Spazmo

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
The specific bias being levelled at this site, let's face it, is one of being 'anti-Bethesda'. I'd like someone who thinks this is the case to actually articulate what they mean by this.

It's a step up. We used to be biased against BioWare.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
For the record, I didn't like Gothic due to the combat and overly linear story-line. I never bothered with Gothic 2. I doubt I'll bother with the third one, either, unless the combat is completely overhauled to not be so freaking actiony.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom