Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Gothic 3 interview, part I

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Gothic III; Piranha Bytes

<a href=http://www.piranha-bytes.com/>Piranha Bytes</a>' Kai Rosenkranz has answered <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=131>a few questions</a> about upcoming <a href=http://www.gothic3.com/>Gothic 3</a> to satisfy our curiosity. Kai asked us to split it in two parts to protect the uninitiated from all secret Gothic knowledge contained in the second part, which will be posted a week after E3
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>13. How does Gothic 3 handle choices & consequences? How important are choices and what would they affect? Would my character (not the player!) ever get a reason to regret a previously made choice?</b>
<br>
<br>
Gothic 3 is all about choices in the first place. Yes, there are great sword fights, powerful magic, a lifelike gaming world... but yet choices are the main gameplay element. The player can literally shape the world and influence the story through the way he's handling things. Most decisions have to be made in the field of human relations. The way the player is treating others influences their attitude towards him, and thus their cooperativeness depends on the right choice of words. With a dexterous tongue the hero can even talk a whole city into a revolution. This can also backfire on him, of course. If he falls out of favour with someone, he will most likely not get useful hints or lucrative quests. And yes, if the whole world wants him dead, he might at last regret his choices.</blockquote>That's all I ever wanted - an option to make choices I will regret later on.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Jason

chasing a bee
That last paragraph makes it sound like they've been reading the Codex Christmas Wish List. Very nice. Hope they don't screw it up.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Ahh, that's where I come to realize that being a high-end computer-obsessed maniac is actually a good thing: it's not just graphic whoring, but a means of PLAYING GOTHIC, which I will totally do, no matter the cost.

Of course, we shouldn't get our hopes TOO high, because there are a lot of factors that impede the realization of those wonderful ideas. Regardless, though, I'm pretty much sure that I will love Gothic 3, because, well, it can't possibly be worse than the predeccessors, which is actually enough for me. And if they make it way better... then it would probably put the Gothic series firmly in the caliber of franchises like Fallout or Ultima.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Gothic 3 is all about choices in the first place. Yes, there are great sword fights, powerful magic, a lifelike gaming world... but yet choices are the main gameplay element.
<swoon> You got me baby... :o

Micmu

Magister
How much longer to wait? :sad:

Nice interview, I'm happy I have something to look forward to.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Great interview, VD. Any idea when the game is due out??
Oh, and where are questions 8 up untill 12, or is this the second part?

Vault Dweller

Developer
hiciacit said:
Any idea when the game is due out??
Fall 2006

Oh, and where are questions 8 up untill 12, or is this the second part?
Yep, that's the second part. These are the questions about skills, factions, dialogues, and combat. The publisher felt that too much was revealed.

Based on the interview and the screens that I've seen, I can't wait to play this game.

hiciacit

Liturgist
Well I had a great time playin the previous Gothics, and the more I find out about Gothic III, the more I'm looking forward to it. Seems like a promising -though refreshingly unpretensious- game...

Kendar

Novice
If he falls out of favour with someone
Waitwaitwait... favoUr ? Does that mean the game will be localized in English this time ? GREAT ! My last fear is gone.

Zomg

Arbiter
There was a war on the mainland between the orcs and humans while you were dicking around on the island of Khorinis in Gothic 1 and 2. It makes sense that the orcs won, since you had a hand in destroying the supply of those sexy ore weapons and armor to the humans by knocking out the barrier.

Honestly, I wish they'd do a new version of Gothic I rather than going to the mainland. That game had the best setup for a power matrix narrative of any RPG I've played in years, but they squandered it on a boring, canned narrative with hack and slash + Tomb Raider gameplay after the excellent "choose a faction" introduction of the game.

Kendar

Novice
fizzelopeguss said:
The orcs won?
Yes, the whole country is occupied except the capital, I think. That will hopefully lead to numerous possibilities to make the cities revolt.

Section8

Cipher
Honestly, I wish they'd do a new version of Gothic I rather than going to the mainland. That game had the best setup for a power matrix narrative of any RPG I've played in years, but they squandered it on a boring, canned narrative with hack and slash + Tomb Raider gameplay after the excellent "choose a faction" introduction of the game.

I actually think there's great potential for an RPG in an isolated environment with a small "ensemble cast", a la The Thing. Given that most RPGs only really dedicate effort toward characterisation of about a dozen major characters, then why not play to that?

Vault Dweller

Developer
I submitted the interview 6 hours ago. It will be posted when Saint or DU shows up. Stay tuned.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
If you gave me leet RPGcodex admin rights, we would be reading it RIGHT NOW

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom