Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #57: The Rig

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail; Underrail: Expedition

I'm beginning to understand why the Underrail: Expedition expansion is taking so long to finish. The new Black Sea areas the expansion takes place in aren't going to be located on some separate map. Styg is actually expanding the main game world to accommodate them in a geographically consistent manner. It's like getting double the Underrail! The new development update tells us a bit about the inhabitants of these new regions:

Hi guys, here's a quick update on what we've been up to in the past few months.

In order to wrap up the geographical consistency of the base game, we had to create a number of water maps that connect SGS, Junkyard, Core City, Camp Hathor, and the Black Sea. In the expansion the player will be able to traverse and explore these maps with his jet ski, but he won't be the only one as a number of factions also utilize these waters, such as Protectorate, Black Eels, and Black Sea pirates. Also encounters with random sea bandits are not uncommon.

The most powerful naval faction in the South Underrail is, of course, the Black Eels. Their naval platform The Rig is perfectly positioned to facilitate the trade between different stations as well as their own scrap exporting business. The Rig is also used to control the central body of water of the Lower Caves in order to fend off pirates. This place will be vital for pirate missions that the player will be able to take part in if he chooses to ally with the them in the expansion.

The Rig missions are not 100% complete yet, but will be soon. After that we'll be returning to the Black Sea to wrap up and polish off the maps we made so far and integrate them into the global map. And then we still have two more areas to develop - the villages of the savage natives and the final dungeon.
See the full update for a few super-cool animated GIFs showcasing the expansion's new areas.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Looks awesome. I'll finally play it when it all releases. I played a good bit and really enjoyed it but lost my save due to a hard drive crash, and haven't had the will to grind through everything I'd done up until. I also just can't pick a build I want to play with. I'll decide when this comes out. Loving it

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Jesus.

Never got around to completing Underrail 1.0 due to burning through an Early Access build in '14 - after this was announced, I then thought to wait until the Expansion was done before going through properly.

Gonna be one hell of a play-through now, can't wait.

Keep setting the standard Styg :salute:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Played through the base game all the way through and it was a great experience. This and AoD were the 2 RPGs more on the indie side that I absolutely loved. Plan to play through it again with a crossbow trapper once the expansion is out.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can't wait to explore the shit out of it, and also looking foward to a fun final Dungeon. :)

(How about doing a Jetski-combat focused devlog next time? I'm really curious about that!)

Styg

Stygian Software
Developer
This gives me cause for concern. I hope it won't be another case of Deep Caverns.

It will be a relatively short dungeon, though it might take a bit to develop because it will have unique aesthetics and... some other stuff.

How about doing a Jetski-combat focused devlog next time? I'm really curious about that!

http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dev-log-52-jet-skis.114837/

the sentry near the protectorate boat wears new armor?or is it the old riot one?

That's the new Protectorate Marine armor.

Jezal_k23

I haven't played this - yet (might as well wait for the expansion), but everything I hear about it is awesome and it looks like the dev team is incredibly talented and inspired. The expansion looks amazing and will obviously be a day 1 purchase for me, and I'm looking forward to finally playing this game I've heard so much about.

Latelistener

Arcane
RhKc.png

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Styg I can't believe it's been since 2010 that you've been doing this game. So amazing.
Iron Tower is even more amazing, they've been doing Age of Decadence since 2004 :].

But seriously, why do you call it "so amazing"? I would argue that it's the opposite of "so amazing" although understandable considering the circumstances (budget, number of people working on it, etc.),

And IMO this expansion is a mistake, instead of doing something new and fresh Styg is following the line of least resistance trying to exploit his only product to the extreme. I can understand if he needs the money to switch to other engine and make a new project from scratch but otherwise it resembles me what King's Bounty developers were doing.

Big Wrangle

That would depend on whether or not the expansion is total shit. If it's overall integrated well into the game (which is like the obvious goal) then that's all great, and will hopefully do well for Styg to pursue other projects.

Also guess I'm gonna have to replay the game when this expansion drops, picked up a bad time to finish and uninstall.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
And IMO this expansion is a mistake, instead of doing something new and fresh Styg is following the line of least resistance trying to exploit his only product to the extreme.

To the extreme my ass. More Underrail = more better. In fact he should just re-use the engine for a proper CRPG imo.

Sacibengala

Prophet
This game is great, I am looking foward to this expansion, it is the best way to expand the game, in my opinion. All games should make expansions like this. Day one for me!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom