Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2017

It's finally time to crunch the numbers and see what the Codex played & enjoyed in 2017.
This year we had 966 voters, who rated 84 games divided into three categories: Game of the Year, Best Expansion and Best PC Port/Remaster.

For those of you who just want the TL;DR, here are the winners:

GOTY

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  2. Prey
  3. Battle Brothers
Best Expansion
  1. Grim Dawn - Ashes of Malmouth
  2. Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath
  3. Path of Exile: War for the Atlas
Best PC Port/Remaster
  1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky The 3rd
  3. Disgaea 2
For the full results, fancy graphs and snarky analysis, just follow the link bellow.

Read the full article: RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Thank god nobody fell for that pile of shit Elex, one of the worst fucking games I played in the last few years. PB is dead and the crazed cum guzzling fan boys that keep this bloated corpse alive are the most delirious sons of bitches I have ever seen since H.Clinton thought she was adored by the people.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ELEX didn't actually do that poorly, here's the image from the full article for all the low attention span kids in the audience

15985.png

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, people like this are why ELEX lost:
Thank god nobody fell for that pile of shit Elex, one of the worst fucking games I played in the last few years. PB is dead and the crazed cum guzzling fan boys that keep this bloated corpse alive are the most delirious sons of bitches I have ever seen since H.Clinton thought she was adored by the people.
Remove the 1/4 votes and it would be #3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So people who have never played an RPG before? Okay.
Well, at least for those people, there's D:OS 2 and all its fanfiction romance, gay and straight! Progressive!

It's not an RPG if you can't fuck everyone, like in Fallout.

Monty

Arcane
No real surprises, although I guess I expected ME:A to do a bit worse (11% positive ratings??)

Thanks for putting it together.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Oh sure, let's remove a few electoral college votes and H.Clinton would be president, that's not how it works. Game was garbage and people only voted for it because there was nothing else to play.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
How about the same for Nier?

Top 3 of Real RPGs™

1. Divinity: Original Sin 2
2. Expeditions: Viking
3. ELEX

EDIT: lol no I'm not
It is natural that turn based games would win over ELEX.

Game was garbage and people only voted for it because there was nothing else to play.
This is true for every game in the poll except West Of Loathing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The discrepancy between D:OS 2's result in the poll and the commentary about it on the forums must be among the widest we've ever seen on this site.

And the thing is it's not something that's consistent across all games - Torment got a terrible result. So you can't blame it on casual votes from Twitter or whatever. There are a lot of D:OS 2 fans around here whose voices aren't being heard.

Doma

Augur
Prey 2nd best RPG? wat?

Also, ELEX way too low. Below Expedition Viking? Really?

ELEX is TOP 3 of 2017 at least.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can actually somewhat understand considering Prey an RPG. But what on earth makes Dominions 5 one? Afaik the game doesn't even claim to be an RPG, which is like the absolute bare minimum for something to be considered an RPG.
Nier: Automata was #6. It was quite popular and had 41% of its voters rating it 4/4, but was held back by 12% giving it 1/4.
Quite frankly I expected there to be more homosexuals on the Codex than 12%, so that's definitely a surprise.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Prey is definitely the dark horse of this poll. It's certainly appropriate that the Codex's favorite Bethesda-published game is the one that bombed commercially.

Before we published it, felipepepe and I spoke about how the fact that this poll is a contest between a bunch of flawed games only makes it more interesting. It shows what people on the Codex really value when they don't have an obvious favorite. As it turns out, most seek solace in the hands of safe and familiar turn-based goodness, but some chose to go in wildly different directions.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
For such a fucking dissapointment, codex really cant help themselves buy vote for the game 90% of them won't bother to finish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom