Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NEWSFLASH: Oblivion released

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

It may seem a bit obvious, but we have to record this for posterity. Bethesda Software put out a big <a href=http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060322/20060322005356.html>press release</a> today to announce that Oblivion, the latest chapter in their... popular Elder Scrolls series, has shipped and can now found in stores.<blockquote>NEW YORK & ROCKVILLE, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 22, 2006--2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:TTWO - News), and Bethesda Softworks® today announced that the highly-anticipated role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion(TM) is now available for the Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC in stores across North America and will be available at stores in Europe on March 24th.</blockquote>Here's hoping that all the morons currently trolling the crap out of our forums go buy it and, I don't know, suffer epileptic seizures from the drug induced hallucination level.

freelance

Novice
Can't help thinking that the news posters themselves troll the most regarding Oblivion here on RPG Codex.
... I'm trolling right now myself? aww shit

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Spazmo you're a shitty news poster and you're going to get the Codex sued.
It should read:
Bethesda® Software® put out a big press(TM) release today to anno®unce that Oblivion®(TM)®, the latest chapter® in their... popular® Elder® Scrolls® series, has shipped(TM) and can now (TM)found in stores®.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
kingcomrade said:
Spazmo you're a shitty news poster and you're going to get the Codex sued.
It should read:
Bethesda©® Software©® put out a big press™ release today to anno®©unce that Oblivion©®™©©®, the latest chapter©® in their... popular©® Elder©® Scrolls©® series, has shipped™ and can now™ be found in stores©®.
Alt + 0153 is what you're looking for I believe. You also needed some more Alt + 0169.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
The game's pretty decent. The engine is good, it runs better than Morrowind does on my computer, heh. Loading isn't a problem - it's VERY quick - and the graphics, up close, look great. The far off stuff looks pretty bad but it's kind of like GTA where everything pops up as you get close to it but you don't notice it after a while.

The random dungeons can be fun but I got bored quickly.There's a dungeon like every 10 paces on the main road and whilst each is unique I just couldn't be bothered to go in and hack a few enemies then move on to the next one. I'm hoping the quests and storyline add more to that.

Anyway, the main thing for me was checking out the engine and how it runs, and that's pretty good.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Well I mean, the dungeons that you are supposed to go in randomly to kill stuff - no quests or anything related to them.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Well, just went in to pick up my copy (lunch hour) and the fuckers wouldn't give it to me.

You see, XBox 360 was released last night, along with its version of Oblivion. The distributors of the game made the retailers delay the PC version by one day in light of this. Atleast, that's what the store where I pre-ordered told me (and also a rival store I visited to check if it was BS). Perhaps they want to give the console version the limelight or something, I don't know.

Oh well.
Epileptic seizures delayed 24 hours, I guess.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
There's something fucked with the HDR though. This is the feature that a lot of previews talk about - high definition lighting or something that goes bright when yuou're coming out of a dark tunnel etc to emulate your eyes adjusting to the light.

Well it says 'feature unavalaible' for me, when I KNOW that's BS as the HL2 Lost Coast level, which was released to show off this new technology, works perfectly and you can see the lighting working very clearly.

Oh well.

EDIT: And it wouldn't be a Bethsoft game without some game killing memory leak. It seems after a few interior/exterior loads the game slows down to an unplayable crawl and I have to quit and restart the game to get the framerate up again. I'm expecting a patch soonish, heh.

Araanor

Liturgist
What? Oblivion? Oh you guys, you've been keeping this a secret from me all this time!

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Mr. Teatime said:
There's something fucked with the HDR though. This is the feature that a lot of previews talk about - high definition lighting or something that goes bright when yuou're coming out of a dark tunnel etc to emulate your eyes adjusting to the light.

Well it says 'feature unavalaible' for me, when I KNOW that's BS as the HL2 Lost Coast level, which was released to show off this new technology, works perfectly and you can see the lighting working very clearly.

Oh well.

What's your card? they're not the same, IIRC Valve created their own version that works with shader model 2, while this (and farcry) use OpenEXR which is sm 3.0 only.

Solik

Scholar
I believe you can force it with your .ini file. Check out the Hardware forum at ESF. People have been doing some pretty cool tweaking with the "unsupported" settings.

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
Ahahaha. Doesn't even start on my brother's PC. He is not happy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom