Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Iron Oath, a turn-based strategy RPG with great pixel art, now on Kickstarter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Curious Panda Games; The Iron Oath

The Iron Oath is an upcoming turn-based tactical RPG that we first learned about back in January. Gameplay-wise, the game sounds similar to Battle Brothers, with a guild of warriors to manage and a dynamic open world to explore. What stands out about it the most however are its gorgeous pixel art graphics, which remind me a bit of the upcoming action RPG Eitr. The developers, an international indie team who call themselves Curious Panda Games, have been self-funding The Iron Oath's development for a year. Now they're looking to raise $45,000 on Kickstarter to complete it. Here's the game's pitch video and basic description:

The Iron Oath is a turn-based tactical RPG that is set in a dark fantasy world. Recruit, manage, and embark on missions with a roster of adventurers, testing the limits of their mortality. Every decision made carries weight and can have a minor or major influence on your characters and the world that surrounds them. As you and your guild progress, the world changes dynamically, enabling new storylines to discover and resulting in a unique experience for every playthrough.

Features
  • Tactical turn-based Combat: Deadly foes, traps and destructible objects means one misstep could be your party’s undoing. Proper planning and execution is vital to your success.
  • A Large and Dynamic Overworld: 9 regions with over 50 hubs to visit. Cities can be overtaken, destroyed and rebuilt; while various factions can emerge, rise and fall. A playthrough can potentially last hundreds of years, resulting in many changes to the initial world state.
  • In-depth Guild Management: Control your guild's finances, resources, alliances and roster. Your characters will age, retire and frequently die in combat and you will need to recruit and train their replacements.
  • Character Development: Every recruitable character has their own personal backstory, incorporating events that have taken place during your playthrough. Their motives, alignment and traits all stem from this, but each of the three is subject to change as their career progresses.
  • Dynamic Dialogue: Characters will converse over a variety of subjects such as the current state of the world or relevant past experiences, along with offering their input on any decisions you face.
  • Decisions Matter: Your choices bear consequences and they can affect your characters, your guild and the many factions that exist throughout the world.
  • Detailed Pixel Art: Meticulously hand-crafted pixel art characters, animations and environments help set the mood for your journey.

The Kickstarter page is absolutely packed with details about the game's mechanics, exploration, character system, story & setting, and more. It's all very professionally done. If you like what you see, you can secure a copy of The Iron Oath for just $15. The game's estimated release date is March 2019.

Drowed

Arcane
Looks like a mix of Battle Brothers and Darkest Dungeon. There's so much potential for butthurt in this that it's already awesome by definition. :lol::salute:

And it really looks great.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
It does look good, but I am getting tired of games that simply only have combat and no utility skills.

J1M

Arcane
Looks like Darkest Dungeon with a respectable art style. Hope they also use a narrator.

PrettyDeadman

Is there going to be a Codex Fundraiser for that? I need more potato.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't expect much reading the title, but that is indeed a cool art style.

Too bad the impression is that we are in front of another "short and oversimplified but cool-looking" indie RPG.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've followed the game for a time, mostly twitter updates from the devs. I hope this turns out good. I like the look of it, it has turn-based combat and the info from the Kickstarter page has me intrigued.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Hmm I may be one of the few but I'm getting bored with the overly pixelated looks. 2D is great but I prefer a clearer picture and a bit more modern look. Banner Saga is a good example, with a different style of course for this game.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Hmm I may be one of the few but I'm getting bored with the overly pixelated looks. 2D is great but I prefer a clearer picture and a bit more modern look. Banner Saga is a good example, with a different style of course for this game.

Same here. The title sounded great up until "...cool pixel art". Oh no, not again. But it DOES look pretty cool, not too drab or low-res.

These guys made the excellent decision to use side-view sprites only, so they can have quality hand-drawn art on an indie budget and the programmer doesn't have to fuck around with visual realism.

Unfortunately none of them have good taste in games from a CRPG perspective, which makes me even more skeptical about their plans for gameplay. Might be "good for what it is" though. Lead dev sounds experienced.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game looks amazing, they can count with my money

sstacks

Arcane
Looks good. I also like the no-nonsense $15 bucks gets you the game tier. I'm in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom