Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Space Rangers 2 Review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Elemental Games; Space Rangers 2: Dominators

I've finally had time to review Space Rangers 2: Dominators, the verdict is "Must Buy!":

Completing quests will have consequences, improving your relationship with some races, and completely pissing other races off. Also, those damn aliens lie to you and a seemingly innocent mission may turn into an insult to another race. I was once asked to deliver a rare animal specimen to a certain planet as an act of friendship from one race to another. Turned out, you have just delivered an abused ambassador back to his native planet in a cage. Needless to say, a few quests like that will ensure that next time you are in the neighbourhood, you will see battleships speeding toward you to inform in an up close and personal manner that they would really like to see you dead. If you do manage to land on a nearby planet, you will be taken to a local prison, which is a lot more fun than it sounds.​

Read the full article: Space Rangers 2 Review

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
But the real question is, did you like it? :lol:

Seems like a hell of a game. Thanks for the review, Vault; I wish it had gone into a bit more depth surrounding a couple of things, but it gives a pretty good general idea.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player said:
But the real question is, did you like it? :lol:
Objection! You are leading the witness! :lol: Yeah, I did like it. If the combat had depth, it would have been a phenomenal game. The way it is, it's a very good game.

Seems like a hell of a game. Thanks for the review, Vault; I wish it had gone into a bit more depth surrounding a couple of things, but it gives a pretty good general idea.
Well, nobody's perfect, especially me (according to my wife). Anyway, ask questions, I will go into "a bit more depth" just for you.

roguefrog

Liturgist
I played it to the very end when the entire galaxy was wiped clean of the dominators. You can end the dominator threat a number of ways too like Fallout. It was my game of the year 2005. Execellent Game

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Objection! You are leading the witness! :lol: Yeah, I did like it. If the combat had depth, it would have been a phenomenal game. The way it is, it's a very good game.

I was somewhat disappointed the game had turnbased space combat; I was under the impression it would be realtime which I think is best for this kind of game. Games like Freelancer and Escape Velocity: Nova had great realtime combat, though for different reasons of course, but I thought it would follow their trail.

Well, nobody's perfect, especially me (according to my wife). Anyway, ask questions, I will go into "a bit more depth" just for you.

Thanks :) If you don't mind I'd just like to know a bit about a couple of things so hopefully it won't take much of your time. With that said...

• Is it possible to choose sides in regards to the main story, or will players simply have to fight the Dominators?
  • Does the main story arc and events in it happen in parallel to player input in the gameworld, or can decisions made by the player affect the outcome? I read the part where you commented upon the Dominators opening black holes and attacking planets, as well as the difficulty levels - would preventing them from doing this several times or even liberating planets have a clear effect on how the story advances? Can a side win through player action or inaction?
  • That ability to block scanners, how is it? Does it prevent ships from identifying your cargo? If so, can it be used in any situation where these checks are made?
  • Just how big can a fleet be? Is it limited to ship size or amount? Do you control one single ship in the fleet (as in Sid Meier's Pirates) or can you control one ship and assign crew members with basic AI commands to control other ships?
  • Can you board ships? If so, is there a combat situation presented to players in order to take over it or is it automated?
  • Besides personal gain, is there any sort of profit to be had by simply being an explorer such as being comissioned by a planetary guild to map out uncharted portions of space?
  • What are the perks associated with building bases? What can we use them for? Are they liable to be attacked? If so can players finance defense mechanisms or methods to protect them?

I think that's about it. I'm sorry if that's too much; if you want you can make brief comments to save time :)

Zufuriin

Scholar
If you don't mind...

• Is it possible to choose sides in regards to the main story, or will players simply have to fight the Dominators?
-You can either defeat the Dominators or just do your own thing. It is not possible to become friendly with the Dominators, they will fight if you are near them.

• Does the main story arc and events in it happen in parallel to player input in the gameworld, or can decisions made by the player affect the outcome? I read the part where you commented upon the Dominators opening black holes and attacking planets, as well as the difficulty levels - would preventing them from doing this several times or even liberating planets have a clear effect on how the story advances? Can a side win through player action or inaction?
-There isn't really a main story. Black holes open randomly, sometimes bringing forth a wave of attacking Dominators. Dominators attack random star systems, and are less successful in capturing said system on low difficulties. It is entirely possible to maintain balance in the number of captured systems given a particular difficulty setting and occasional player intervention in defending/attacking the Dominators. If set on high difficulty, most likely the Dominators will eventually capture almost all systems, unless the player can prevent it.

• That ability to block scanners, how is it? Does it prevent ships from identifying your cargo? If so, can it be used in any situation where these checks are made?
-Pirates base their odds of threatening player/other ships by scanning the ship for equipment/cargo. The scanners have a value up to which they can view your ships hold, and blocking scanners simply requires installed counter-measures (shield generators) with a higher value. Blocking these scanners will reduce the number of pirates that try to intimidate you.

• Just how big can a fleet be? Is it limited to ship size or amount? Do you control one single ship in the fleet (as in Sid Meier's Pirates) or can you control one ship and assign crew members with basic AI commands to control other ships?
-I wouldn't call it a fleet, but more of having companion NPCs in a party-based game. Your leadership skill dictates how many others you can hire and boss around. Of course, you are limited by funds (which is not too much of a problem), the others willingness (rank, leadership skill, and current commanders), and the maximum number you can have (somewhere between 3 and 9, single-digits). You have little actual control over others, you can give basic orders, but they tend to run away (land, hyperjump) during intense battles, unless you reissue orders every 30 seconds. Maybe it's just me.

• Can you board ships? If so, is there a combat situation presented to players in order to take over it or is it automated?
-No boarding ships.

• Besides personal gain, is there any sort of profit to be had by simply being an explorer such as being comissioned by a planetary guild to map out uncharted portions of space?
-Sadly, no. SR2 is very exploration-light. Beyond being able to travel to the farthest systems yourself, there is really no incentive to do so.

• What are the perks associated with building bases? What can we use them for? Are they liable to be attacked? If so can players finance defense mechanisms or methods to protect them?
-There is no base building. In RTS planetary-battle-mode, a base (production facility, resource generator and base defenses) is already built for you. There is no option to build anything other than individual robot units, and a few limited defenses (with predetermined placable locations). Outside of the RTS mode, it has zero impact on anything, and you will never use that 'base' again. Quite unsatisfying, so much potential.

Wulfgar

Scholar
-You can either defeat the Dominators or just do your own thing. It is not possible to become friendly with the Dominators, they will fight if you are near them.

SPOILER

You can turn Blazer to your side once the research on them is done. :)

END SPOILER

EEVIAC

Erudite
One issue with the review - the space battles aren't turn based. Everyone is moving at the same time and there's no initiative.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Excellent stuff.

Strange that there has not been a NA release; this baby has been available in Kiwi-land for a while now.
You can even find it discounted by a third in some stores. Which on one hand is good for us NZ-ers, but on the other hand is bad - possibly this indicates a low profile, and this game deserves more publicity behind it than it is getting.

Finally, a game that is not dumbed down, has masses of content and variety, and no blandisement for commercial gain.

I'm glad some developers out there are taking a chance.
EDIT: and publisher for that matter.

kris

Arcane
It seems I have to try on this one. the adventuring parts sounds really nice and that you can end up daying just makes it better.

Vault Dweller

Developer
EEVIAC said:
One issue with the review - the space battles aren't turn based. Everyone is moving at the same time and there's no initiative.
Good point. I did say that there is no difference between SR2's "turn-based" and RT with pause though.

Role-Player said:
I was somewhat disappointed the game had turnbased space combat; I was under the impression it would be realtime which I think is best for this kind of game. Games like Freelancer and Escape Velocity: Nova had great realtime combat, though for different reasons of course, but I thought it would follow their trail.
See above. It's basically RT with automatic pause, and even that pause could be skipped.

What are the perks associated with building bases? What can we use them for? Are they liable to be attacked? If so can players finance defense mechanisms or methods to protect them?
No idea yet. I've been given options to finance building of different bases, but at this point I don't have enough disposable income yet. The game has a massive amount of different stuff you can do, and trying and understanding everything might take a very long time.

Besides personal gain, is there any sort of profit to be had by simply being an explorer such as being comissioned by a planetary guild to map out uncharted portions of space?
You can't explore uncharted space, but you can focus on exploring unexplored planets with probes.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Shagnak said:
You can even find it discounted by a third in some stores. Which on one hand is good for us NZ-ers, but on the other hand is bad - possibly this indicates a low profile, and this game deserves more publicity behind it than it is getting.

Same here in Australia. You can pick up the game in Harvey Norman for $30. I wouldn't worry about Elemental though. I'm pretty sure the game sold over 100 000 copies in Russia alone, so hopefully we'll get to see an even stranger SR3.

VD said:
Good point. I did say that there is no difference between SR2's "turn-based" and RT with pause though.

I still think the distinction should be made between real turn-based (either by initiative or IGOUGO) and timed, pausable rounds. RPGCodex has a standard to maintain. :P

Vault Dweller

Developer
EEVIAC said:
I still think the distinction should be made between real turn-based (either by initiative or IGOUGO) and timed, pausable rounds. RPGCodex has a standard to maintain. :P
Couldn't agree me. I guess I just bought into the hype of other reviews and did what I criticized others for. How hypocritical of me :lol:

Eruart

Novice
EEVIAC said:
... I'm pretty sure the game sold over 100 000 copies in Russia alone, so hopefully we'll get to see an even stranger SR3.
Interesting, do you know that a game in Russia costs less than 10$, it's not about a pirated version that costs about 3$ ?
Even more, not too much people have thier own copy of a game, many just takes them from friends (I don't even know a person who has licensed version of windows at home)

P.S. It's not about SR3...

Balor

Arcane
Well, unfortunatelly, the dev's team split up a bit - some of them are working some other, fantasy stuff now, not SR3.
Don't know much about it, though.

dunduks

Liturgist
Balor said:
Well, unfortunatelly, the dev's team split up a bit - some of them are working some other, fantasy stuff now, not SR3.
Hmm, if they make something like Darklands with a dynamic universe such as in SR2, I will be very happy, even if it is fantasy.

VNIP

Novice
dunduks said:
Balor said:
Hmm, if they make something like Darklands with a dynamic universe such as in SR2, I will be very happy, even if it is fantasy.
On a note: SR3 will not be. There will be game "Star Time". Actually it is the same SR2 but in full 3D, in real time and with other plot

Section8

Cipher
If you were a real person, I'd fill in your "required fields." Being unaccustomed to the internet is so hot.

Balor

Arcane
Heh, so, not only Russians spam, huh? :P
On the other hand, Poles are slavic too... hmm. Disturbing trend :).

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Role-Player said:
Vault Dweller said:

Thanks :) If you don't mind I'd just like to know a bit about a couple of things so hopefully it won't take much of your time. With that said...

I think that's about it. I'm sorry if that's too much; if you want you can make brief comments to save time :)
1.You have to kill ONE Dommy race, one can be persuaded to join your side, the others have their ways of being reasoned with, by giving them what they want, but they hate each other.
2.Parrelel and linked
3.They cannot see any info other than the extremely obvious(hull integrity)
4.You can hire 7 ships with max leadership, ships are all one person things, except for Sleuths(Pelengen super liners, spying on Faeyan science stations) and other NPC ships.
5.No.
6.Stations not bases, Science Stations can be placed in systems you frequent, in order to make it more convenient to get rid of Dom equipment, get upgrades, and repair artifacts, Military bases are where you are promoted and have their own ships and are the most heavily armed/armored stations, Pirate stations can give you cheap equipment, fake nodes, plastic surgery, repairs to artifacts, lots of goods, and Business Centers...
you invest in bases there, along with other crap.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom