Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News NWN2 forum stuff from J.E. Sawyer

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Neverwinter Nights 2

<a href="http://www.sorcerers.net/">Sorcy's Place</a> has a <A href="http://www.sorcerers.net/index.php#001492">news item</a> that features a bunch of snippets from <A href="http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=472603&forum=95&sp=45">this thread</a> where <b>J.E. Sawyer</b> has posting some tidbits about <A href="http://www.atari.com/nwn2">Neverwinter Nuggets 2: The Wrath of Tile Engines</a>. Since <b>Taluntain</b> thought this clip was the most important bit, I'll post it:
<br>
<blockquote>Rideable horses will not be in NWN2. I'm sorry it's taken so long for you to get that answer, but there it is.</blockquote>
<br>
Hooray! I hate horses!
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Taluntain</b>!
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You were so desperate to post NWN2 you including something that Mr. Sawyer was basically confirming from soemthing that's basically been known for weeks now? Tsk, tsk. A lot more important stuff has come out about NWN2 in the past several weeks including an interetsing article on crafting. Meh.

Anyways, I would have loved rideable horses. It's too bad they were cut. Hopefully an expansion will bring them back.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
There no point to having horses in a game if you can't use them in battle or something. Horses just become a "cool, its a train in the shape of a horse"

Seven

Erudite
Volourn said:
You were so desperate to post NWN2 you including something that Mr. Sawyer was basically confirming from soemthing that's basically been known for weeks now? Tsk, tsk. A lot more important stuff has come out about NWN2 in the past several weeks including an interetsing article on crafting. Meh.

Anyways, I would have loved rideable horses. It's too bad they were cut. Hopefully an expansion will bring them back.

I don't suppose you have a link to that interview--I would do a google, but I'm lazy and stuff.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Hey Volourn, since you're the big NWN fanboy you should post some threads in Gen RPG discussion when something interesting is posted out there. Jesus, at this point i'd love to hear about some more non-Oblivion shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. Why post NWN-NWN2 stuff on a board where people just bash it or bash me? I'm not here to help. Besdies, I'm not on the Codex News Staff therefore I don't get paid to spread new news here. Sorry; nothing personal just the facts.

LaDoushe

Scholar
Volourn, was the NWN mod, Hordes of the Underdark worth getting? I DM'd a campaign once set in the underdark and it was delightful. Look forward to your input,
-Ben

Drakron

Arcane
Its not set in the underdark ... well not all of it (UNdermountain, Underdark, planar jumping and finaly back at Waterdeep).

Jora

Arcane
I enjoyed HotU. It's much better than the first two official campaigns. There's some good role-playing and the dungeons are quite fun. If you already have NWN, getting HotU isn't a bad idea.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Doesn't make a difference to me whether there horses or not in this case. No reason to rip on it for being a tile engine either since it allows for modules to be made without the hassle it would have otherwise.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Jora pretty much covered it. As a side point, the ending(s) is very much akin to the FOs. LOTS of endings including overall endings, character endings, and area endings.

My biggest beef with it is makes a whole new defintion of what monty haul is. Its monty haul puts to shame TOB, IWD2, and TOEE... combined...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
HotU had it's ups and downs. Undermountain started off neat, then ran out of steam on the second and third levels. The second act was somewhat okay, and I thought the battle thing at the end, even if it was a little easy(Is there actually a way to lose that battle?), was kind of neat. The third act starts off pretty good when you're doing some plane travelling, and then degenerates in to SuperMario Puzzle World with a D&D theme.

I'd say my biggest complaint with HotU is getting my ass kicked by goblins one instant, then a half an hour later, I'm killing Balrogs like they're fodder.

Drakron

Arcane
You mean against her ... yes, I lost it several times because I was stuborn and played as a elf W/F.

Eventually did it after unloading everything I had, make her fall on her ass and used the talking sword that finaly killed her.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
I lost a few times too during that fight. I mean she kept casting some shitty spell that killed me instantly. I think I just lucked out with a few criticals with my xbow.

geminito

Liturgist
Oh my gawd teh mounted combat won't be their! It will suck. No RPGs are good anymore.

LaDoushe

Scholar
Alright, I'll check out HotU then. The PnP module was monty-haul too, so that's no biggy. Thanks.

Avin

Liturgist
what to expect from nwn2?

we expected fly, jump, climb and swim... they HINTED us "riding horses".
they deny it now.

not too much.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Jora pretty much covered it. As a side point, the ending(s) is very much akin to the FOs. LOTS of endings including overall endings, character endings, and area endings.
NOt much akin, really. Why? Because in Fallout there was lots of *different* endings for each location, and you really affected the way things would work out, or not. Basically, you could decimate the entire wassteland, one way or another, or make each town prosper. Same could not be done in NWN due to its strictly linear nature, where story drives your character, and the player doesn't have much to do with it. Not that storydriven system is bad -- it's great for those rpgs where more local, intimate, if you will, relationship between the npcs and your character are in focus (Torment). hOwever, NWN was pretty shallow both ways.

Though yeah, I admit that several features really were good. But hey, this is mostly due to the setting history. For isntance, Undermountain is a very cool location, but it was just a good implementation of FR lore into the game.
What I'm trying to say is that aside from the preset parts (from the manuals and completes), there was little worth-noticing in NWN. In contrast, it is really a shame that BG2's events are not considered part of the offial history of FR, because there were so many notable events and characters, taht it would easily fit in the setting and enrich it deeply. Same could hardly be sid about NWN.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'd just like to point out NWN's linearity has nothing to do with the quantity or quality of its multiple endings. You say one of Fallout's strengths was that due to its non-linear nature you could decimate the wasteland (each town) or make it prosper, well, you could do that too in the KOTORs and it was as on-rail as it could possibly get. In fact the whole purpose of the game was going from town to town and deciding its fate-- er, planet, excuse me. There was a good thread a while back about what linearity and non-linearity are. It was a good read.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom