Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship RPG Update #15

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ah sorry it was conquest of the new world

always get the two mixed up

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Solid 7

dinah_zpsitvyetsk.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
How will enclosed places work with noise generated? Different types of walls give different -X noise?

Also will the floor matter? like carpet vs marble.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Marble and carpets on an old, re-purposed cargo spaceship?

Was hoping for more of this instead of banal shit boring 20 century warehouse/office building in space! but beggars can't be choosers those days.

serveimage

Still Would make sense to put some old buildings and even patches of land with gardens and forest into generation ship to remind colonists of Earth and get some free oxygen/air filters/additional rations; great update anyway well designed stealth missions will be fun alternative to usual talk your game in 15 minutes or die horribly in first fight untill you git gud dichotomy from AoD.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Marble and carpets on an old, re-purposed cargo spaceship?
Thought you had temples and fancy quarters and what have you.
There are temples and fancy quarters and not everything looks like a "banal shit boring 20 century warehouse/office building in space!" but things like marble and carpets won't appear out of nowhere just because the ship's inhabitants no longer care about their purpose.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Guess I imagined it much bigger and freeform than it actually is. Like some rich colonists waaay back then had their quarters built to specifications to look like mansion interior etc. It sorta gives a lot of freedom when stuff is 40k-scaled.

hivemind

tbh given that the initial colonist were most likely extreme proddies "banal shit boring 20 century warehouse building" sounds almost too luxurious for them

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I'd love to come across areas that were initially built like the Important Dude's home back on Earth.

Rajasthan's Royal Red Tent was a fuckmassive 4m-tall tent carried by literally hundreds of animals in parts when the lord was marching - obviously only maintainable under the richest of circumstances. But it would be fascinating to come across an area where dozens of people have now taken up residence, or perhaps a more forgotten and abandoned area, where the player finds numerous relics and design features now completely obsolete and intended to keep up the luxuries of home for a single VIP.

Presumably it doesn't make the greatest of sense with the superreligious cargo ship rigged background, so we shouldn't expect to find anything really ostentatious (even originally), but it's one of those things that can help spice up the ship; all the concept art and descriptions currently make me think this is going to be a long collection of gritty grubby corridors with a couple of larger installations. I'm always for "pretty realistic + exciting" rather than "the most realistic possible", though I guess VD would disagree.

Severian Silk

WTF is so impossible about carpets? This is like AoD teleporting all over again! :carpetgate:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Presumably it doesn't make the greatest of sense with the superreligious cargo ship rigged background, so we shouldn't expect to find anything really ostentatious (even originally)
I guess you haven't seen the mansions and yuge temples protestard cult leaders have.

27153516344259-t1200x480.jpg

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
WTF is so impossible about carpets? This is like AoD teleporting all over again! :carpetgate:
I assume you need proper machines to produce carpets. I doubt that such machines were on board before the mutiny and it's unlikely that someone would bother making such machines using spare parts after the mutiny or reinventing old looms.

Guess I imagined it much bigger and freeform than it actually is. Like some rich colonists waaay back then had their quarters built to specifications to look like mansion interior etc. It sorta gives a lot of freedom when stuff is 40k-scaled.
See update #1
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7104.0.html

'The first generations are zealots who believe in the Mission. No sacrifice is too great, no suffering is too unbearable. They will never see Earth again; they will never see Alpha Centauri either. Their children, grandchildren, and so on are doomed to live and die on the ship in the name of the Mission. They will never see the sunlight, never swim in a sea, never sit under a tree, all because they had the misfortune of being born on the ship, chained to a fate they didn’t choose or want.'

They are the kind of people who'd donate all their money to the Mission, not build custom quarters.

Presumably it doesn't make the greatest of sense with the superreligious cargo ship rigged background, so we shouldn't expect to find anything really ostentatious (even originally), but it's one of those things that can help spice up the ship; all the concept art and descriptions currently make me think this is going to be a long collection of gritty grubby corridors with a couple of larger installations. I'm always for "pretty realistic + exciting" rather than "the most realistic possible", though I guess VD would disagree.
I dislike "gritty grubby corridors" as much as the next guy. I can't assure that the environments will be awesome and exciting but they will certainly be diverse enough and won't all look like like a warehouse. Plenty of open areas too.

Severian Silk

Why wouldn't they reinvent looms? I'm guessing they can 3D print lots of different stuff. Why would they go on a one-way voyage without a 3D printer or at least a lathe? That would be about the cheapest piece of equipment they could bring.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
And Amazon Game Studios' upcoming big MMO
Vault Dweller
Seems like a huge problem, I doubt that Amazon will allow you to use that name for long. Do you have any plan B? Then again I see that on Steam there are games like "Bold new world" or "Hole new world". Maybe go Final Fantasy route and just name it Age of Decadence 2. Or Final Destiny 1.

Vault Dweller said:
During the searching phase, if he comes close to you but doesn’t see you, you get an optional interrupt allowing you to insta-kill him using your trusted Critical Strike skill.
How will it work? Will we need a dagger here? Or maybe a gun with a silencer (which should be elementary item for an infiltrator)? Will guns have different levels of noise too? Will it matter if we'll start shooting (can it draw attention of others?)? Will there be crossbows (which are very good and silent weapons, perfect for low level thieves)?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
If I had to name a game I'd give something that isn't identical to a billion things of greater relevance.

Like 'The Age of Decadence' is actually good, google's first page for that is all AoD stuff.

Parabalus

Arcane
Not too sure about the stealth system myself.

Since it's completely deterministic, it amounts to to save&reload until you find an optimal path where you loot as much as you can for your skill and gear. That's the same thing you have in AoD now, with stealth being text adventures. Since there is no "freeform" stealth but it's still tied to specific scenarios, it seems it'll end up with the same resource only with a larger resource drain. I might be undervaluing how enjoyable trial and error is compared to the text adventures.

Rather lukewarm on the name, AoD has a much better ring to it.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom