Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker details revealed at PaizoCon 2017 - Kickstarter confirmed, possibly in June

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Alexander Mishulin; Chris Avellone; Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Pathfinder: Kingmaker, the recently announced Pathfinder CRPG featuring the talents of Chris Avellone, was at Paizocon this weekend. It doesn't look like anybody from the mainstream gaming press attended, forcing us to rely on the eyewitness accounts of visiting Pathfinder hobbyists. The indispensable LESS T_T found the most comprehensive account on the Facebook page of Know Direction, a Pathfinder-focused podcast. It confirms that despite the developers' affiliation with publisher My.com, the game will be Kickstarted in the near future:

Notes from the Pathfinder: Kingmaker CRPG seminar.

Lisa Stevens [Paizo CEO] says Chris Avellone was trying to talk her into a Pathfinder CRPG since he was with Obsidian. He arranged a meeting with who would be Owlcat at GenCon 2016. They presented a "vertical slice" demo in March for Paizo to play. Paizo staff is super excited, especially with how the flavour of Golarion comes through.

Creative director Aleksandr Mishulin was inspired by AD&D to make games. He has done so for 18 years.

Combat will have multiple modes: Core Rules (similar to tabletop Pathfinder but real time, not turn based), adapted rules (less deadly for less experienced, crits deadliness reduced), story mode (really simple combat), Iron man (tougher monsters, just one save that overwrites itself so accept your mistakes), and custom (for example, core rules with reduced crits).

Story: Chris Avellone said Lisa Stevens drove home the point that Kingmaker is near and dear to her heart, having run it multiple times. He understood this to mean "Don't -bleet- this up"."

The story is adapted from the AP but with new narrative elements.

The aim for exploration is to make the player feel in control. One major way it will be different from other CRPGs is camp, where you have to choose a safe place, assign hunting and guard duties, and interact with the NPCs

Kingdom building: A new system based on the tabletop version but without so many micro decisions. The buildings you make impact the Kingdom's alignment and the alignment affects how other kingdoms and visitors interact with it.

On a character level, your decisions affect your alignment, and your alignment affects how NPCs interact with you, including your party companions who all have their own agendas.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker will be funded via Kickstarter, launching soon. The hope is to release Summer 2018.

Mass combat will only be in the game if the Kickstarter campaign spectacularly over funds. It requires that many original assets.

Character generation: you can play any Core Rulebook race, and any Core Rulebook class plus the alchemist and inquisitor.

They haven't solved all of the OGL issues, but they've found work around for any that would prevent making a video game. The foremost authorities on the OGL all work for Paizo.
According to another visitor, the Kickstarter may be happening as soon as next month:

We were treated to a bunch of the concept art for the computer based RPG of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Lisa Stevens, Paizo CEO said that the game was probably a year out and currently had a couple of hours of content. I had the opportunity to demo the game during the day and it is much farther along than I expected. It was completely playable, and the developer said they had about four hours of mostly finished content, and more in various stages of development. They are planning to release with all the content and options from the Core Rulebook, and are expecting to do a Kickstarter, possibly in June, to add more classes, companions, and features. What I saw showed a game fun to play and pretty true to Pathfinder. The character sheet showed feats, and leveling choices that match what you make in the paper based version of the game. The developer said that while some feats had to be modified to fit a real-time-with-pause style video game, feats and options were included to allow you to create your characters as you’d expect from Pathfinder. What I saw left me more excited for this long awaited way to enjoy Pathfinder.

So there you go. It looks like the game is in a more advanced stage of development than I thought. Hopefully they don't launch the Kickstarter in the middle of E3 or something.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Interesting stuff, seems like it may be a real RPG which would be a big change.

Aenra

One more time for MCA to whore himself for one more KS of a dubious future.
Well done senpai, well done. Warned you a couple of years ago and here we are. When you wash out entirely (and at your own doing), what then.

So much talent, so steadily going down the shitter.

Whatever.

deuxhero

Arcane
I repeat my laughing at Kickstarter and Unity.

Also why the fuck would they pick Inquisitor to include in the base? Wouldn't Magus, a very popular class that accomplishes a very popular concept, be more logical?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I repeat my laughing at Kickstarter and Unity.

Also why the fuck would they pick Inquisitor to include in the base? Wouldn't Magus, a very popular class that accomplishes a very popular concept, be more logical?
Need to save some goodies for stretch goals.

I'm curious how this kickstarter will go. It's a fairly unknown Russian studio, but with MCA and the Pathfinder brand on board.

Black

Arcane
What I don't get is- Paizo is content with giving them licence for a game but too jew to give them money so they have to use kickstarter
Shouldn't it be in Paizo's best interest that this game is as good as it can be?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What I don't get is- Paizo is content with giving them licence for a game but too jew to give them money so they have to use kickstarter
Shouldn't it be in Paizo's best interest that this game is as good as it can be?

PnP license holders are not video game publishers. TSR/WotC didn't fund the Gold Box games or Baldur's Gate either, that's not how it's done. If anything, developers pay them to use their world and rules.

The more pertinent question is why My.com can't fund a game made by their own employees despite swimming in F2P cash.

Fairfax

Arcane
I'm p. sure they could fund but why bother when you can get dat crowdfunding cash infusion. No reason to risk your own $.
I don't see a lot of people lining up to foot My.com's bill. Pathfinder and MCA would make sure they reach a modest goal, but nothing like the big KS RPGs, specially now.

Darkzone

Arcane
Will see what they show us for KS pitch, after that i will make up my mind. And despite my defence of RTwP, i would rather want to see a TB Pathfinder game.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
One more time for MCA to whore himself for one more KS of a dubious future.
Well done senpai, well done. Warned you a couple of years ago and here we are. When you wash out entirely (and at your own doing), what then.

So much talent, so steadily going down the shitter.

Whatever.
The should make Chris's not working on the project a stretch goal for a special Codex fundraiser. :smug:

Ulfhednar

Savant
Tags: Chris Avellone; Owlcat Games; Paizo Publishing; Pathfinder: Kingmaker
According to another visitor, the Kickstarter may be happening as soon as next month:

We were treated to a bunch of the concept art for the computer based RPG of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Lisa Stevens, Paizo CEO said that the game was probably a year out and currently had a couple of hours of content. I had the opportunity to demo the game during the day and it is much farther along than I expected. It was completely playable, and the developer said they had about four hours of mostly finished content, and more in various stages of development. They are planning to release with all the content and options from the Core Rulebook, and are expecting to do a Kickstarter, possibly in June, to add more classes, companions, and features. What I saw showed a game fun to play and pretty true to Pathfinder. The character sheet showed feats, and leveling choices that match what you make in the paper based version of the game. The developer said that while some feats had to be modified to fit a real-time-with-pause style video game, feats and options were included to allow you to create your characters as you’d expect from Pathfinder. What I saw left me more excited for this long awaited way to enjoy Pathfinder.

So there you go. It looks like the game is in a more advanced stage of development than I thought. Hopefully they don't launch the Kickstarter in the middle of E3 or something.

Fully implementing a core system of rules before you start work on game content is definite incline. Hope this really is true, but still pretty skeptical... I don't see how there can still be an Avellone-effect after all of the recent inclusions in so many crowd-funders, some of which were tire-fires, but if it helps you get to your goal? OK... I just want to know, is Pathfinder: Kingmaker the Chris Avellone show ala PS:T, or is it Chris Avellone, human stretch goal ala T:ToN?

Ulfhednar

Savant

Releasing three months after PoE 2: Deadfire... Ballsy...

Don't underestimate the disgruntled grog market.

For example, I for one am thrilled that this game is devoting so much attention to resting.

I don't doubt there is a market for this game, but it is Pathfinder's BG1-equivalent to Pillar's BG2-equivalent. They are going to have to go through all those balancing patches, too, if they really want this to shine. I'm really hoping that this game turns out as good as its pitch - competition in the market is good for consumers - but they might want to delay to Q3 or Q4 of 2018. Christmas is good for games...

Neanderthal

Arcane
Scopes a bit wide I think, you know running an entire bloody kingdom, i'd prefer someat small an managable like Tula in KoDP or even smaller an more detailed. I reckon you could make a stonking game set over just a few square miles, i've done so in tabletop a few times. Plus it gives you room to expand, polish an set reasonable advancement limits.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Tags: Chris Avellone; Owlcat Games; Paizo Publishing; Pathfinder: Kingmaker

The hope is to release Summer 2018.

Releasing three months after PoE 2: Deadfire... Ballsy...

Why? As if POE 2 is going to raise the bar sky high. A lot of people have had enough of POEs, Tyrannies and Geometric shapes. I don't expect anything from Obsi while that insane balancing clown is leading the show, but the sad reality is that theres no one who could replace him at Obsi (read: they fired everyone capable assuming there were talented individuals in the first place).

Also Pillars and BG 2. Hahaha oh wow. Its like saying that Dacia Duster was inspired by Porsche 911.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom