Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #35: Combat System Video, Designer Commentary Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; David Rogers; InXile Entertainment

For the new Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter update, inXile have put together a commentary version of February's combat system video, featuring the narration of systems designer David Rogers. I would have preferred something entirely new, but it's definitely nice to have. The combat system is more complex than it looks, with multiple damage types and defenses, with the ability to damage armor or penetrate an opponent's mental focus to shut down his current action. That said, in response to some people's concerns about pacing, David makes it clear that not all battles in the game will be as lengthy or elaborate as the one in the video.

The update also announces that inXile have hired a sound designer for Bard's Tale IV - one Brian DiDomenico, who has worked on a variety of games. Makes me wonder what stage of development the game is at now.

flushfire

Augur
Wow, those dancing portraits look ridiculously stupid and cheap. Static ones with simple highlights would be better, would take less work too.

Tyrion8338

Novice
Wow, those dancing portraits look ridiculously stupid and cheap. Static ones with simple highlights would be better, would take less work too.

It`s temporary, the game looks quite atmospheric but I`m not that intrested in it tbh, seems a bit childish and this combat mechanics aren`t my thing.

Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
Seems like a weird/silly system. The graphics are great, though.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
What is it with so many games using 'This is a Unity Game' Blue all over the fucking place.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Unwanted

Wonderdog

Neckbeard Shitlord's alt
What is it with so many games using 'This is a Unity Game' Blue all over the fucking place.
what did he mean by this

In the past few years there have been many unity games that use the same blue in their interfaces. I am guessing it is a preset UI color selection.
I think people just like blue. This is an UE4 game anyway

You can tell because it doesn't look like garbage and run in slow motion.

Hyperion

Arcane
Game is gorgeous for a blobber. Shame the same can't be said of the character portraits. They're absolutely hideous. Not sure how I feel about Opportunity Points, though. Little reminiscent of Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light, which at least wasn't even a communal pool of points. Turns are going to be extremely restrictive with a full party of 6.

That actually looks decent, sure you can fuck up pretty much anything given enough ineptitude, but blobbers are extremely limited in scope to begin with, so there's a good chance inExile could actually produce a Good Game for a change.

Darkzone

Arcane
It does looks good. But will it play as good as it looks?
Depends on your expectations, interests and computer.

And as always: I still think that BTW 4 will redeem inXile as blobber makers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom