Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Update #13: Simulationist Dreams

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

Joe and Hannah of Whalenought have at long last published a new Copper Dreams Kickstarter update, the first in almost six months. Like the previous update, it's a massive development report summarizing those months of work, and it reveals a game that has changed a great deal from the fairly conventional pixel art RPG we Kickstarted last year. With features such as a background point pool with advantages and disadvantages, realistic line of sight and hearing range calculation, and a variety of wounds that inflict specific status effects, Copper Dreams has embraced a GURPS-inspired simulationist vision the likes of which I don't think we've ever seen in a game of this type. This change of approach is most clearly visualized in the game's combat system, which now allows you to aim and attack anywhere.

We finished off combat iterations the past few months by enhancing the way players target and roll-to-hit with it, which ultimately led to an overhaul of the ruleset. You can now aim anywhere and roll under your skill with the item to determine how successful you were to getting to your target. All item or skill usages use that model now. Allowing you to aim for things in the environment that we don't outright tell you can make for more interesting puzzles or interactivity. Lights for example can all be shot out now.

With a 3d world, thrown objects that bounce around, it seemed fitting to give the player some agency on where they are actually shooting. You no longer only attack targets, but can also attack anywhere you want, including where you expect targets to be as they are moving. If you do attack targets you can select which body part you’d like to try to shoot, and you’d track that body part until you fire or it’s no longer visible. Aiming for anything allows you to lead targets on the move or temporarily unseen (and thus unable to be targeted), or precise location to lay down cover fire for more than one target that might end up down the middle of a hallway or something.

Distance modifiers are no longer just static distance markers as with the original Challenge Target, but influenced by reference points around the projected line starting with nearest to the character attacking. This is all in-code in the game, but that sight-line checks for any nearby objects starting at the character and moves down to the actual target. So the idea for this is if you you have a reference for a target really far away, you can get visual bearings by aligning your shot with any nearby objects. For example aiming a burst fire into a clearing near the side of a building you hear an enemy running into would have that building act as the distance check, not the potentially infinite space behind it.

The crosshair for melee path for slash/thrust or your projectile line is your ideal hit location, and you roll to attempt to hit that location, regardless of or if you have a target in mind. Success means you hit that target precisely (in 3d space), and failure means you deviate it from a variable amount, so it’s considered a potential failure in most cases.
Whalenought now describe Copper Dreams as a "Cyberpunk Horror Roleplaying Campaign", but what exactly that means isn't clear from this update. It may be clarified soon however, as they've promised to publish weekly updates from now until the game's alpha is released, which is planned for next month. The next update will focus on dialogue and storytelling, and will also include another look at combat.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I was wondering why you didn't put this update here but only in its topic, this update is more interesting than 99% of shitty PoE 2 updates you spammed News with.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Only thing I don't like is the new "save" system when if you die, you are magically respawned at start of the area with your wounds kept and one more shot would finish you again.
I would rather have us die and need to reload the save or maybe let the game have an ironman mode or checkpoint only saves mode or anything else. This is too gamist in otherwise simulation system focused game.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Whats going on with the expansion for SitS?

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
This is the only upcoming CRPG worth a damn.
What's your opinion on Unknown Realm?

I liked SitS a lot so I have solid faith in Whalenought. So far the game looks and sounds fantastic. I like the crunchy sound effects in combat and the ragdolls (although they seemed to stick to surfaces a bit much in the video - maybe that was intentional so the corpse doesnt fly too far). Obviously the body part targeting system is awesome. Really impressed. The weapon projectiles seemed to move quite slowly, didn't they? I wonder if that's intentional so you can actually see the trajectories.
Also I have to wonder about itemization in such a game, I really liked it in SitS where you have these obscure and hard to obtain but powerful/unique weapons. I hope there will be inventory management. :bounce:

Whalenought_Joe - is there a way to still preorder/pledge for the physical collector's edition? I really want it, but I missed out completely on the Kickstarter. :negative:

And I see that in the campaign page, it doesn't list the reward as "no longer available" so maybe there's a chance still?

Last edited:

Whalenought_Joe

Whalenought Studios
Developer
This is the only upcoming CRPG worth a damn.
What's your opinion on Unknown Realm?

I liked SitS a lot so I have solid faith in Whalenought. So far the game looks and sounds fantastic. I like the crunchy sound effects in combat and the ragdolls (although they seemed to stick to surfaces a bit much in the video - maybe that was intentional so the corpse doesnt fly too far). Obviously the body part targeting system is awesome. Really impressed. The weapon projectiles seemed to move quite slowly, didn't they? I wonder if that's intentional so you can actually see the trajectories.
Also I have to wonder about itemization in such a game, I really liked it in SitS where you have these obscure and hard to obtain but powerful/unique weapons. I hope there will be inventory management. :bounce:

Whalenought_Joe - is there a way to still preorder/pledge for the physical collector's edition? I really want it, but I missed out completely on the Kickstarter. :negative:

And I see that in the campaign page, it doesn't list the reward as "no longer available" so maybe there's a chance still?

Thanks! Working on a lot of sound design for the alpha, just starting to put some in so some were a little off still, but we plan to have quite a bit to add to atmosphere/gameplay. Inventory management is like a physics based Ultima 7 one, so yeah, 'management' is an understatement on that end. There isn't much focus on vacuuming up everything though, and there will be unique equipment/ammunition and stuff, definitely. We have a few oddball and secret items planned for the alpha.

If you still want to order one of the tiers shoot us an email! We're almost done with the book covers, so just let us know sooner than later!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom