Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News StarCrawlers launching on May 16th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Juggernaut Games; StarCrawlers

The procedurally generated cyberpunkish sci-fi blobber StarCrawlers from indie studio Juggernaut Games has been in Early Access for over two years now. Its fans on our forum tell of an addictive game that has only gotten better, especially with the addition of a challenging non-procedurally generated story campaign. Now the end of development is finally in sight. Yesterday StarCrawlers received its final Early Access update, and with it a release date - May 16th. Juggernaut put together a cool little trailer for the occasion:

StarCrawlers has also been available on GOG's "In Development" Early Access program since last year, so it'll be there too when it launches. It's unclear whether the game's price will increase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Any word on if the combat system is good?

It certainly IS enjoyable, but don't expect anything greatly complex (because it is not).

I DO hope they include at least a DEMO so people can see if this might be a game they might enjoy (I do). But it is not for everyone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sometimes enjoyable is enough if there are other high points to a game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This looks like it turned out quite well. The itemization seems particularly neat.

Sacibengala

Prophet
and what about puzzles and exploration? Can I expect something like grimrock?

Nothing like Grimrock. i.e much more enjoyable to play, as far as blobbers go
Combat is unique, itemization is well done, classes are well-balanced, writing is excellent.

Latelistener

Arcane
Combat is unique, itemization is well done, classes are well-balanced, writing is excellent.
lDrc.png

Au Ellai

Educated
Does anyone know if the combat is turn-based or real-time? The videos don't really make it obvious (looks turn-based, but not obviously so), and all the steam reviews compare it directly to both Grimrock, and M&MX, which had completely different combat systems. The fact that games descended from M&M and games descended from Dungeon Master are both interchangeably called "Dungeon Crawlers" and "Blobbers" despite having completely different combat systems has always kinda bugged me. They play so differently but are referred to as basically being the same that the genre/sub-genre shorthand doesn't really help define the game.

Wow this looks great! I remember seeing something about this a while ago, but I lost interest when I saw it was in EA. Fuck that shit. Can some enlightened codexer who's played it tell me if there's an option to turn on grid-based movement? I know it seems like a silly, minor thing, but lawnmowering down the map is one of my favorite parts of muh blobbers. Free movement just isn't the same.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Can some enlightened codexer who's played it tell me if there's an option to turn on grid-based movement? I know it seems like a silly, minor thing, but lawnmowering down the map is one of my favorite parts of muh blobbers. Free movement just isn't the same.
Grid-based movement only, with strafing and 90-degrees turning. Enemies only move after you move (some can move more than one grid at a time, some are slower and move every other turn). There is a free camera view option for investigating the surroundings so you can pick items from / interact with the floor or the ceiling. Can't remember if the permanent free camera setting (as opposed to when-holding-a-key one) is on or off by default but imho it's better to leave it on (the game is bad at detecting where you want to go if you don't look straight-ish, but there's lots of looking around to be done as your party is near-sighted and hugs walls otherwise). You can see the movement about 0:17 into the trailer; a bit of free view in the mine and keyboard turning in the office. Initial floating scenes are for trailer purposes.

Also the only real-time parts seem to be security systems (such as cameras switching focus from one grid to another) and possible damaging effects of getting caught in these and standing still.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom