Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #67: First Patch, The Toy & Voluminous Codex Status Report

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Daily; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Torment: Tides of Numenera received an update today, the first since the game's release four weeks ago. It appears to address the game's most pressing issues. In the accompanying Kickstarter update, inXile producer guy Eric Daily also offers a brief status report on the developments of the companion Oom and the Voluminous Codex. I quote:

New Patch

Next, we have a new patch for Torment on PC! (It will also be coming to consoles very shortly.) Below you can see the highlights. If you are playing on Steam you will have already likely downloaded it, while if you're on GOG, it'll be up as soon as possible!

Highlights
  • Fixed a large number of freezes that would happen in various states.
  • Numerous performance optimizations
  • Addendum text should now be appearing on item descriptions. Many dozens of items now have more details depending on your lore skills and other factors!
  • Fixed an issue that was preventing party members from bantering. Party members should now be much more talkative!
  • Updated a number of crisis sequences to rebalance a number of enemies. In some situations, it will make combat proceed more quickly with combats that were sluggish.
  • Numerous fixes and improvements to movement grid, pathing, and AI. This should prevent issues where the game would hang as combat could get stuck in numerous situations.
  • Several quest and conversation fixes.
  • Inspiring Presence and other looping sound effects have been removed.
As you can see from the highlights, this update is focused mostly on performance improvements and bug fixes. For the full release notes, see here. But, of course, we have more in the works...

Oom & Voluminous Codex

Design and writing work has begun on some of the content additions that we spoke about last Kickstarter update.

Oom's character is currently being built out by Colin McComb and Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie, and they're working hard to make it a unique character that also fits in with the overall storyline of the game. On the design front, initial work has been done on figuring out what kinds of abilities and features Oom will have, both during exploration and Crisis gameplay. Meanwhile, the art team has begun the initial stages of figuring out his character model and design.

Regarding the Voluminous Codex, most of the writing and user interface design work has been completed, and we are in the beginning stages of integrating it into the game itself, both in the interface itself as well as all the hooks and triggers to make sure the entries are unlocked at the right stages of the game. Similar to other RPGs, the Codex entries you receive will give you details on companions and characters you meet as well as provide additional lore about the world, factions, creatures, and cults.

As we stated last time, we don't have dates for these additions just yet as our focus is on doing them right. However, as mentioned, these will be completely free to all backers and owners of Torment. We hope to have them in time to give you an even more fresh experience for your second (or third, or fourth...) playthrough. We will keep you informed as progress is made!​

It looks like the Voluminous Codex is no longer a "separate lore compendium outside of the game", so that's good. Mistreating one's Codex has been found to be ill-advised.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Fixed an issue that was preventing party members from bantering. Party members should now be much more talkative!

In my 40 hour play-through there were maybe 3-4 banters between party members. Wasn't sure if it was bad design or bad QA. But I shouldn't be to hard on them since they only had 5 years to get it right.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Fixed an issue that was preventing party members from bantering. Party members should now be much more talkative!

In my 40 play-through there were maybe 3-4 banters between party members. Wasn't sure if it was bad design or bad QA. But I shouldn't be to hard on them since they only had 5 years to get it right.
Am I right in recalling that there was a similar issue with PS:T where the timer for party banter was broken?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

In my 40 play-through there were maybe 3-4 banters between party members. Wasn't sure if it was bad design or bad QA. But I shouldn't be to hard on them since they only had 5 years to get it right.
Am I right in recalling that there was a similar issue with PS:T where the timer for party banter was broken?

So you're saying they were just trying to be true to the spirit of PS:T?

FeelTheRads

Arcane

It is a mystery. Qwinn added back some banter but I have no idea if it was removed intentionally or it was a bug, since most of it is just Morte being a very problematic sexist.

Fairfax

Arcane

Not broken, just took way too long. They used real time intervals and specific flags (like number of party members or areas) to trigger banter, and I think for some companions it was glitchy. Qwinn's Tweak Pack allows you to use game time instead (12x faster IIRC) and set shorter intervals to trigger more banter. The game also had a lot of cut/unused banter, some of which was restored by mods as well.

Not broken, just took way too long. They used real time intervals and specific flags (like number of party members or areas) to trigger banter, and I think for some companions it was glitchy. Qwinn's Tweak Pack allows you to use game time instead (12x faster IIRC) and set shorter intervals to trigger more banter. The game also had a lot of cut/unused banter, some of which was restored by mods as well.

True, but a lot of that went unnoticed due to the sheer awesomeness of Rob Paulsen's line readings with Morte's scripted reactions (that "YYEEEAAHH!!!" he says when you finally recruit FFG was funnier than it had any right to be, partly because of the way they do at precisely the same time as Annah mutters something about "Fall from great height mrore like....").

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Say what you want about inXile but at least they're not Double Fine who simply abandon their games post-release post-beta after grabbing everybody's cash. They actually do give a shit about their games.
I've completed the game but I'll wait for about a year or more to replay it, so they've had plenty of time to fix and add new stuff

Imperialist

Novice
Wasteland 1 patch-never. It's sad that patches are almost a way to re-play the game to see what was added or how the game was meant to be played.

Naraya

Arcane
Thanks for testing the game, early buyers. See you in a few months, when the game is actually done.
Nah, it was relatively OK for me, apart from two glaring issues:
- constant sound of god damn aura driving me crazy
- permanent save corruption during the last scene (after the last battle but before final conversation with the Sorrow) - savegame won't load

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom