Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News System Shock 3 to be published by Starbreeze Studios

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: OtherSide Entertainment; Paul Neurath; Starbreeze Studios; System Shock 3; Warren Spector

It's been quite a while since we heard anything concrete about System Shock 3, the upcoming sequel to the iconic franchise that's currently in development at Warren Spector's OtherSide Austin studio. Warren's visit to GDC a couple of weeks ago seems to have signaled a shift. The talk he gave there, a classic game postmortem of Deus Ex, became available for viewing at the GDC Vault today (a summary is available at Gamasutra). Only hours afterwards, a press release went out announcing that System Shock 3 will be published by Starbreeze Studios, the Swedish developer-turned-publisher best known for the Chronicles of Riddick games, to the tune of $12M. I quote:

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (March 14, 2017) Starbreeze AB, an independent creator, publisher and distributor of high quality entertainment products, has signed a publishing agreement with Otherside Entertainment regarding the game System Shock 3. Starbreeze will invest $12 million to bring the game to PC and other platforms.

System Shock 3 – The latest in the series of landmark, award-winning games from Otherside Entertainment is in development under the direction of industry legend Warren Spector and a dream team behind such ground breaking games including the original System Shock & System Shock 2, as well as Thief: The Dark Project and Deus Ex.

“System Shock is one of those iconic franchises in the history of games that still gets my blood going and Mr. Spector is one of the founding fathers of the modern action RPG” said Bo Andersson-Klint, Starbreeze CEO. “We’re greatly looking forward to bringing System Shock 3 to players world wide in our collaboration with Otherside Entertainment and Warren Spector’s team. I’ll be first in line to play”.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with Starbreeze for System Shock 3,” said OtherSide’s CEO Paul Neurath. They truly get games and gamers, and have been able to translate that understanding into a robust publishing business, and build thriving gaming communities around their franchises.”

Starbreeze will be able to recoup 120% of its full investment including marketing costs. Starbreeze share of revenues will become 50% after the investment is recouped. Otherside Entertainement will retain 100% of the intellectual property relating to System Shock 3.

System Shock 3 is currently in the early concept stages of development. Fans can go to the game site to receive updates as they become available.
My suspicion that System Shock 3 would forgo crowdfunding seems to be confirmed. It's going to come out on console of course - best acknowledge that now and not be surprised later on. We'll learn more about the game soon hopefully, including whether it's even an RPG.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Normally I would say cool and be done with it, but the implication that this was done with the explicit purpose of developing the game for consoles too kind of disturbing... although Spector made it quite clear he was done with publishers fingering his ass and telling him to cough so maybe he will be able to keep things on board

DeepOcean

Arcane
Normally I would say cool and be done with it, but the implication that this was done with the explicit purpose of developing the game for consoles too kind of disturbing... although Spector made it quite clear he was done with publishers fingering his ass and telling him to cough so maybe he will be able to keep things on board
Money guy is always right, ever heard of that?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So for you math autists, how many copies they need to sell before Warren and co start making some money?

Misco Jones

Savant
Literally or figuratively?
I mean if SS2 was designed fro consoles, it would be different game, and I think much worse game.
I think we will see failure.

Don't worry, we have Warren.

tumblr_m3bftzlUAb1qzutbp.jpg

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Starbreeze studios... the ones who made that awful FPS syndicate abomination. It was ordered work, but still. Fuck you for accepting that job.

rdx

Novice
PC and other platforms... killed my hopes for the game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom