Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #10: Voice Acting Doubled, Q&A Stream #2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Aarik Dorobiala; Adam Brennecke; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire; Tim Cain

The Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire reached $2.4M of funding last night, unlocking the Voice Acting stretch goal. It happened just in time for another hour-long Josh Sawyer Q&A stream, this time also featuring executive producer Adam Brennecke. It was a pretty interesting watch, and less controversial this time. The highlight of the stream, if I may say so myself, was Josh's reply to my follow-up question about the controversy from the previous stream, about 13 minutes in. Once again, if you don't want to watch it, a transcript has been made available on Reddit.

Shortly after the stream ended, Obsidian published a new Fig update to announce the achievement of the stretch goal. They don't have a new one for $2.8M yet, but the update does include a few other goodies. First of all, Josh Sawyer and the team have decided they're going to develop a Pillars of Eternity pen-and-paper RPG(!). The Starter's Guide for the new ruleset will be free for all backers at the $45 Premium Digital tier and above, and can also be acquired as a $7 add-on for lower tiers. Also available at those tiers (but not as an addon) is a cookbook by Tim Cain, who isn't otherwise working on Deadfire.

But the highlight of the update is probably the introduction of a new creature called the sand grub. Check out that animated GIF, which also demonstrates the game's new ground physics feature:

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2Fcea3d75946d8a438%2F3a52fe006ed5daa4%2Fe0caf432015aaa1d%2F897ba0334581854f

Deadfire's funding level continues to climb (have you checked out our fundraiser?) and in fact, a glance at its Fig investment page will show you that $3.2M is probably already guaranteed. Coming up next - a graphics-related update by Lead Artist Kaz Aruga, and sometime later on, an update about the game's main city, Neketaka.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, devoting that much time to sand animations, and these being islands, there better be a lot of locations where that type of environmental hindrance comes into play.

Pentagon

Educated
Ooh, this is exciting. I hope that they implement other terrains types as well, it could make positioning in some fights a fun challenge.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ground physics is cool. Wonder if they were inspired by D:OS with this whole terrain effect thing (even if the overall design approach is different).

Got bored and left

Ground physics is cool. Wonder if they were inspired by D:OS with this whole terrain effect thing (even if the overall design approach is different).

Sawyer mentioned gunpowder and oil barrels that you can mess with in the stream, as well as blowing up alchemy labs, so this is a pretty safe bet.

almondblight

Arcane
Pledges are at $1.24 million now. One wonders if they would have been better off just using KS. Though I guess part of this is to push their own site.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I won't back Deadfire due to Fig, honestly. I'll buy it later or back it if they allow other means when the Fig crowfound ends.

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I won't back Deadfire due to Fig, honestly. I'll buy it later or back it if they allow other means when the Fig crowfound ends.

Means such as these? http://www.rpgcodex.net/campaigns.php?id=19

Honestly, I'm a little bit torn about that. I'd love to participate, but that money is going to the Fig campaing itself, isn't it? Although a strip tease from the Obsidian's Enfant Terrible would be pretty neato.

Read the description. It's going to PayPal, which they should be opening up any day now

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
:takemymoney:

Edit: After Tyranny, I think now would be appropriate to create an alternate "take my money" emote.

Same as above, but looking more reluctant:

H8luoVz.png

"Here, just don't fuck it up..."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom