Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2016; RPG Codex; RPG Codex Awards

Are RPGs better than 5 years ago? Has Kickstarter really delivered? Have indies done any great RPG? Are we getting more PC ports? Has the "Age of Incline" truly arrived?

Join us now as we analyze the results of our latest poll, where 800 users rated 200 RPGs from the past 5 years, and see just how real the hype really is.

Read the full article: The Age of Incline: RPG Codex's 2012-2016 GOTY Results

Urthor

Liturgist
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Who stole the pixels from Felipe's graph?

Someone's made off with all the pixels, daddy's going to have to find his reading glasses on this 4K screen.

Last edited:

Pentagon

Educated
Great chart categories! I wonder if in 2027, if RPG's enter another dark age, will the Codex pine for the era of Divinity: Original Sin, Dark Souls, Age of Decadence, Witcher 3, Underrail, and Shadowrun: Dragonfall?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

11514-animated_gifchat8etf.gif

tumblr_n3r0a49fGG1sthzylo1_250.gif

RPG Codex

Vanguard against the Decline. Harbingers of Incline. Distinguished Gentlemen of Monocled Taste.

Which is Kickstarter Darling shall nab the top spot as the Champion of the RPG revival?

None.

Because apparently a by the numbers modern open world game with bad gameplay even by those standards and a completely mediocre story except one quest chain is what people around here really want. But it is fine because it is pretty.

Finally we have the answer to Narrative vs Gameplay question.

Presentation!

Before you even start with the any "newcomers" complaints keep in mind that last year Felipepepe did a 2009 and lower join date cut of the data and Witcher 3 won 2015 by those metrics.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It would never be a kickstarter game since AoD and Underrail exist.

Maybe if there were more butthurt people to downvote it without playing like FO4/memetale/DaS you would have your way :M

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
While I half expected the top 5 the fact that some Trump lovers who cant use a controller rated Dark Souls with 1s & 2s and thus kept it from beating Age of Decadence is kind of sad, I can understand if some players dont like Action RPGs in maybe the same way I dislike Diablo style games, but I wouldnt say Diablo sucks because it is not my kind of game and Dark Souls is hands down my favorite game from 2012 to 2016 and definetly in my top 5 ever

Sinatar

Arbiter
I know getting into the "is it or isn't it" debate on a game being an RPG or not is largely pointless, but Dust: An Elysian Tale?

Really?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Undertale at #130 with 215 votes but at #18 when the 1&2's get removed.

:hmmm:

I am sure all those votes came from people who at least tried the demo and wouldn't just follow the hivemind and mindlessly vote for a game they did not play.

Fucking sheeple.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom