Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #4: Xoti Joins the Party!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

The Deadfire train keeps on chuggin', and with Infinitron gone, you're stuck with me writing all of these exciting updates. Anyhow, with the 7th companion (Xoti – is that pronounced koti, soti or ksoti? Josh Sawyer, please re-activate your Codex account and answer in this thread) stretch-goal being hit at $1.8M, Obsidian has readied yet another stretch goal. I think it's their best one yet!

Here are the details.

At $2.2M, NPCs (that's non-companion NPCs) will be given watercolor portraits courtesy of Obsidian artist Matt Hansen.

15445.jpg

Very nice! The new stretch-goal also includes a customizable user interface, and yet another game translation: Italian-o! Eeeeey!

As for the UI customization, this is what the update says:

Second, we would like to add a highly requested feature, UI Customization. Inspired by the mod community from Pillars of Eternity, we would like to add in the option to customize the position of UI elements, toggle pieces of the UI on and off, adjust HUD transparency, and much more.​

Inspired by the mod community Codex user Bester! High praise! Grats man!

Look forward to the next update on returning companions coming tomorrow, penned by Carrie Patel! (Actually tonight, but it's not official until we post it, and we must sleep).

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
No. I tend to agree as well. The issue is that for a small amount of money (in the long term) you are potentially promising huge game changing choices and additions. The time value of money comes into play here. They may be too far into development for some things to be done, and to go back would cost far more than that goal would have brought them.
What they could do is partially implement some things already, or make them easily implementable, that way they can hold off until an expansion if necessary.

Sub classes? Doesn't necessarily change the game a lot, just character development and some quest options / dialog choices. Other things can be HUGE deals on coding, design, etc.

I'm not big overall on some of these options. Sub classes seem like the next step in class design: specializing or cross specialization: a fighter who can do some self buffing like a wizard, etc.

duanth123

Arcane
Really!!??, i am the only one that this stretch goals sux?

A higher level cap as a stretch goal was pretty cynical. Kinda shoots the impression that this is a BG2 style leap in the foot from a marketing perspective.

And I'm guessing there will be another level cap increase towards the end of funding period from 18-20.

And lol at whoever hoped there wouldn't be xaurips.

You never heard of ocean xaurips, son?

Are they really going to leave all those models unused?

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
(Xoti – is that pronounced koti, soti or ksoti? Josh Sawyer, please re-activate your Codex account and answer in this thread)
Zoti? Like Xena - Zena/Zina lol, exactly like one Russian name pupular in old days, now usually associated with image of monumental fat woman.

What a wonderful sjw-holiday! Negro-woman, asian guy, something of blue color with horns, and an old white guy! Like all white man just stopped to procreate, and now only gaffers have remained.

These portraits remind me of the King of the Dragon Pass.

kodp6.jpg

Yeah, with only exception I pointed above.

Last edited:

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
At $2.2M, NPCs (that's non-companion NPCs) will be given watercolor portraits courtesy of Obsidian artist Matt Hansen.

1gkULwPg0AmfZlNDnmlXhbQ5Uz8orjZicmym-Njh_mIQyAI_n_i6t60oXckCsYNI96EjPhpQXFq8wR1VPlLsLz3WpUGa7_DNaecrZERd-x0Bwa6H5TC0zgjkiL-ZmllWneB3whaMBNaBY5yFwghUVfsctrLGMxwvWF3Hbx3-gGX2YNBbD6BDxeuWxFRNidBc5H_WiZh3Mmtl0rY94FlffTEAjjV9RJhHPOmoArXPwT0DkrU4X730PSNc1ajUvOY_e6dGNouvG4MVRYX81XZWqMbzzdBWJA1n7FLxwXrjZ6iB_Ax4i77_LiKEw-1QfJ_UtAnDq8a29xzDIvvBipyHyeKdNiEWiplfSrQJgZwT_VqXayI6B-yPN-kEaqYP1te7JNY0=s0-d-e1-ft

This might not seem like much but that BGT mod that adds portraits to dozens of npc's is really pretty cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom