Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Kickstarter Update #33: Introducing the Main Characters, Beta in Q1 2017

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BattleTech; Harebrained Schemes; Mitch Gitelman

Although Harebrained Schemes have constantly repeated that BattleTech is a strategy game, not an RPG, it looks like some of that Shadowrun spirit still lives. Originally there was only going to be one more Kickstarter update this year, but apparently they've found the time to do another one before it, which focuses on the story of the game's campaign and its diverse cast of characters. Plus, some new details about the upcoming beta. I quote:

CAST OF CHARACTERS

For the purpose of making introductions, we're taking you three years beyond the point where our June Campaign Setting Details update left off, into the thick of a conflict that threatens to tear the Aurigan Reach apart. The bios and descriptions below could all be considered MILD SPOILERS - they occur after the inciting events of the game's Prologue chapter - so if you'd like to remain completely spoiler-free, you may want to skip reading this section. For everyone else: let's meet the main cast of BATTLETECH!

The Restoration

In late 3022, control of the Aurigan Coalition was forcefully seized by the old regime's longtime ally, House Espinosa. The rightful High Lady, Kamea Arano, managed to escape the coup and disappear into the Rimward Frontier. Working in secret, she began sowing the seeds for her own return to power: the Arano Restoration, a liberating army with the clandestine support of the Magistracy of Canopus.

The Directorate

When House Espinosa seized control of the Aurigan Coalition, they subjugated the Founding Houses and conscripted their House militias into a standing army. Under Espinosa leadership, the realm has been reformed into the Directorate, an authoritarian power with strong ties to the Taurian Concordat.

Mercenaries

The flight and command crew of your own mercenary outfit, these hardened veterans work behind the scenes to keep your MechWarriors fighting and the C-Bills rolling in.

In our story, you’ll interact with your mercenary crew on the Argo, along with various major personages from the Aurigan Reach. Over the course of the single-player campaign, you'll get to know these characters via personal conversations, crew briefings, and story cinematics. And of course, they'll also be communicating with you in-mission while your lance is deployed as seen in our Super-Pre-Alpha gameplay video.

HOW ABOUT THAT BETA?

Whether it’s at GenCon, PAX, or on http://battletechgame.com/, the biggest questions we get these days is, “When’s the Backer Beta start?” The answer we’ve been giving is “Winter”. Well, Winter starts December 21st so it’s time to spill some (limited) info.

Now in case you didn’t know, HBS has never done an external beta before, so we’re entering new ground here. Obviously, we’ll do our best but as you well know, “No plan survives contact...” and all that. Therefore, in order to prepare for the Backer Beta, we’re currently working towards a dry-run of the beta experience for our family members to “blow out the pipes”, test our process, and make sure everything’s ready for you.

Until we complete our dry-run and make any necessary adjustments to our plans, we won’t be able to give you a firmer date for the Backer Beta, but we can tell you that it’s targeted to begin sometime in the late January - early March timeframe and will run for at least a month. Once that beta is up and running, we’ll start things off with SKIRMISH MODE and then add PVP MULTIPLAYER after a period of time. The goal of the beta is to test our core combat system and will only be a slice of the shipping game’s total content, so it won’t include ALL the ‘Mechs, MechWarriors, maps, and environments that will come in the finished game. (Also remember, the open-ended mercenary campaign and single-player story will NOT be part of our Backer Beta.)

As noted in our Kickstarter rewards, only Backers at the $50 MECHWARRIOR reward level and above will have access to the Backer Beta, but there will be no restrictions on participants sharing their impressions, screenshots, etc. so that everyone can stay in the loop.

More Beta logistics and details will be forthcoming closer to the Beta launch announcement.
Yeah, you can see what they're going for with the characters. Not sure how plausible it is to have people of those specific ancestries on the edge of the galaxy in the year 3025, but maybe it's just a visual design thing.

almondblight

Arcane
Not sure how plausible it is to have people of those specific ancestries on the edge of the galaxy in the year 3025, but maybe it's just a visual design thing.

It doesn't even make much sense as a visual design thing (What does a Brazilian look like? A South African?). But yeah, I assume that it's just a jumping off point for when they design the characters; the descriptions clearly are game design and not in-game descriptions.

Kiste

Augur
Considering that diversity is like some sort of superhero strength, one does wonder why these clowns haven't managed to roll the whole Inner Sphere yet.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game will still kick ass
Well, from their 3 last games, only one was "good". The first one was utter crap and the third was just meh, I wouldn't make a safe bet on that if I were you.

And even more, the combat/tactic system was super simplistic and this supposedly should be a strong game in that regard, so....

__

As for the cast in the game, one can see pretty clear that they are a studio based in the US with the current PC vibe, but as long as you can make yourself in the game, I don't see a reason of why anyone would care about it.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
They are going to beta test PvP with only a few people that paid 50$ or more?! LOL! FAIL!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They are going to beta test PvP with only a few people that paid 50$ or more?! LOL! FAIL!

Seems like they've got around 20,000 people - nearly half of all Kickstarter backers. The BattleTech community is very passionate, I think they'll do okay there.

ArchAngel

Arcane
With those numbers they might be. Do they really have that much?!

EDIT: I just checked the KS page, they really do. I guess that should be enough if enough of those people try PvP.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No sarcasm here: I for one fully support (((Jordan Weisman))) and (((Mitch Gitelman))) putting their white genocide and race-mixing fantasies in their games. Make what you love, and let the market decide.

Caconym

Savant
So woke, so just, so little to do with the game being good or not...

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
GrrUvNO.jpg

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
In the grim darkness of far future everyone knows the shithole from which their ancestors came...

Last edited:

imweasel

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG

Not a single fucking white person. This is like the wet dream of a "progressive" leftist. Mitch Gitelman was a huge Hillary fan, so I am not surpised.

Another studio putting their fucking retarded and regressive agenda into their game, although I have never seen anything this extreme. I regret backing this shit. Welcome to my boycott list.

imweasel

No sarcasm here: I for one fully support (((Jordan Weisman))) and (((Mitch Gitelman))) putting their white genocide and race-mixing fantasies in their games. Make what you love, and let the market decide.
Yep. I'll post about it on The Donald when the game is released and then watch the magic happen.

"Liberal video game developer puts racist white genocide and race-mixing fantasies into new Battletech game"​

sounds like a good title for the thread. :)

imweasel

^

There is a reason why none of them have blond/red/brunette hair or blue/green eyes and all of them have black hair, brown eyes and a dark to very dark skin tone.

As Roguey also stated, they are celebrating white genocide. It is one of the main objectives of the leftist Agenda. Faith Goldy explains it well with a very similar example.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's just silly that everyone is a mix of something, I don't really care if they are white, black or yellow or whatnot, but to me it feels implausible and contrived that there is not even a couple of people that have the same background. To me it appears that they just wanted to cherry pick as many combinations as possible, to make it look fancy.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Seriously this shit is not funny anymore, I didnt know the depths to which the "left" are willing to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom