Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #60: Nano & Glaive Trailers, Last Two Tide Novellas Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Daily; InXile Entertainment; Mur Lafferty; Techland; Tony Evans; Torment: Tides of Numenera

inXile have published their monthly Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update, reminding us that the game still exists and is coming soon. Once again, the update is accompanied by a promotional trailer from Techland - in this case, two of them, introducing Torment's Nano and Glaive classes. The update itself contains a short report from producer Eric Daily describing the final stretch of the game's development. I quote:

Phew! It's been a busy month. The Torment team has been hustling hard to get the game polished for release. The game is nearly ready, which means we're now doing all that "boring" stuff that gets Torment ready for you to play.

What does that include? Well, Jeremy, Evan and other members of the design team have been working away on balancing to make sure our Crisis encounters are as entertaining as can be, and that things like loot distribution, economy and character progression are playing well. A lot of number tweaking! Those on the writing and area design side have been playing through the game and fixing any remaining quest, story and content issues. Our engineers Steve, Jesse, Dan and more have been hammering hard on performance optimization and pesky bugs to make sure everything runs better, faster, stronger, better. Meanwhile, we've got our artists, scripters and more devoted to further polish and cleaning up animations, character rigs, and textures.

Fortunately, things are looking really good, so we’ve been able to divert more folk’s time toward playing the game, finding bugs, identifying balance and progression issues, and tying up any loose ends in quests. It might sound like a strange thing to say, but sometimes for developers, simply finding the time to sit back and enjoy our own games is a luxury, so we’ve been doing that too.

We also wouldn't be complete rounding up our recent progress without giving another shout-out to the QA teams at Testronic and Techland, plus our external localization partners. Those teams have all been putting in huge amounts of hours and Torment is very much improved thanks to them.

All of this work is bringing us closer and closer to a release-to-manufacturing build of the game. We've been directing our efforts towards that milestone, and when that happens, it will mean Torment is effectively a finished, complete game we can all be proud of. You can rest assured we'll be hammering away as long as we can to give you the best possible experience upon release early next year.

Last, in the previous update we hinted that we'll have a new beta update for Torment coming, and that's still the plan. This will have many of the refinements we've mentioned above, plus new features like the ability to switch between mouse/keyboard and controller versions of the interface. We'll keep you all posted!

The update also announces that the final two novellas in the From The Depths pentalogy, by Tony Evans and Mur Lafferty (I was wondering if we were ever going to hear those names again!), are now available. You might remember that during the Kickstarter campaign, inXile promised two additional unrelated novellas by Colin McComb and Monte Cook. According to the update, those will come later.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Something about the class and the tone of the announcer is very

starship-troopers-join-now.jpg

polo

Magister
Will this come out on PC? Please, release a PC version! I don't have consoles :(

Outmind

Augur
The nano might be fun. The glaive looks like a cookie-cutter d&d fighter, or am i missing something?

Last edited:
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So did a single person view the Jack and Glaive videos and felt excitement? Because they only seem to be here to make the Nano look even cooler. Jesus, when you're that bad at designing attractive classes you might as well go for a classless RPG.

hpstg

Savant
Better art direction too.

I hope the game is nothing like the tone these trailers convey. Too bro-y for Torment, the only question missing in the end was "Would you like to know more?"

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
While I have probably played less of the game than many Codexers, the tone of what I played (and certainly of what I wrote) was nothing like these trailers. I have no actual knowledge of the thinking behind the trailers, but what I would infer is that they are meant to be as "educational" as possible to help introduce players to a setting that is otherwise potentially very unfamiliar. Marketing is a skill unto itself quite different from storytelling and setting building within a game, so presumably these folks know what they're doing in presenting it this way.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Speak for yourself. I can't bring myself to make protagonist a pussy backliner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom