Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Tokyo Game Show 2016

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: Japan; TGS; Tokyo Game Show

It was a dark and stormy night when I saw the Tokyo Game Show 2016 poster and thought - "Hey, I live in Tokyo now, I could go there! Ugh, but I hate waiting in lines and paying for stuff..."

A few weeks later, on September 16, I was disembarking at the Kaihin-Makuhari Station, ready to face TGS' Business Day as a reporter for the prestigious RPG Codex.

This is the (kinda extremely late) report of that fateful day...

Read the full article: RPG Codex Report: Tokyo Game Show 2016

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We demand to see one of the prestigious Codex business cards.
Is the one from the contest, with some slight changes to fit more info:

75cZoGH.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
felipepepe
The link to Berserk video is wrong, there is additional "http" string.

BTW, if anyone's interested why Japanese like such shitty RPGs like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy and they're not interested in such gems like Fallout, Arcanum or Age of Decadence here's a video that might answer your questions (go to 24th minute):

It's fragment of a program "Cool Japan" broadcast by NHK where they talk about cool Japanese things (like sushi, ramen, toilets, shinkansen, japanese housewives, etc.). The really funny part starts when the foreign guests talk about RPGs, nigger for example says that he likes to be guided because when there's too much freedom he doesn't know what to do. But there are more gems like that. Felipepepe, you should find some Japanese wife and get into the program.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
You should've dik-bullied some booth girl bad possi, why didn't you? You some kinda shitskin tribal? 100% white or bust, git gud faget!

jungl

Augur
Dragon quest franchise is the most boring jrpg and rpg franchise in general. All the games are literally the same there is zero innovation with each new game in the series. Its more fun watching paint dry.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, if anyone's interested why Japanese like such shitty RPGs like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy and they're not interested in such gems like Fallout, Arcanum or Age of Decadence here's a video that might answer your questions (go to 24th minute)
From my time here, I'm believing more and more it was mostly a matter of hardware... Yeah, artstyle counts, but they really don't give a fuck for PC games, but now seem to be embracing western multi-plat games more and more...

I mean, both Battlefield One and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare topped the charts on their release weeks with +100k copies! Uncharted 4 sold 230k, Fallout 4 sold 120k, Twitcher 3 sold 67k and DA:I sold 40k on their respective release weeks... For comparison, a ultra-hyped games like Persona 5 pulls 300k on first week, while World of Final Fantasy sold 100k and Berserk Musou sold 38k.

Yeah, Japan has more people buying Call of Duty and Battlefield on the first week than World of Final Fantasy. That's crazy. Still, D:OS for the PS4 sold only 6k on the first week, and Wasteland 2: DC didn't even chart. Shame we don't know long-term sales.

laclongquan

Arcane
Interesting take, thanks, felipepepe
Although.
The Japanese can do exclusive shits like these because they are, ultimately, in a land area the size of a US state, with very advanced transport networks. Basically, casual visitors can get there with a single train ride. So the casual overnumber the pros.
USA or Europe rely too much on pros getting there on their business expense for the actual reporting. If they do same things like the Japs, who would have enough money to move to several events across the continent?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Thanks for the write-up since you sound like you won't necessarily go again.

Repressed Homosexual
It's obvious you were wasting your time there. AAA gaming has almost completely collapsed in Japan, most of it replaced by free to play mobile games with micro transactions.

There are still many developers making solid portable games worth playing, filled with lolis in order to sell figurines and expensive limited editions so the venture is profitable, but those small developers would never have any money to pay for a booth, even a small one, in the city with the most expensive real estate in the entire world.

I don't understand what you expected to find.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom