Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tyranny Dev Diary Video #3: Gameplay and Mechanics

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Feargus Urquhart; Matt MacLean; Matthew Singh; Obsidian Entertainment; Paradox Interactive; Tyranny

Tyranny may have had its last dev diary blog update earlier this week, but Paradox still had one last dev diary video to go, which they published today. This episode is about game mechanics - the companions and companion combos, the spellcrafting system, character progression and reputation. I'm sure the Codex will love all the extreme animations:

Watch out for that last step, it's a doozy.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Welll, such awesomness sausage REALLY deserves a home made "homage" of some kind

don't hesitate to remove if you're just running ads for them or something, no biggy...

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Heh, nah, best kept low key funny Codexian "homage" than something that goes out of control before the game is even released and might hurt their sales or something. Deep down, even though I'm critical, I respect Obsidian and I really respect Paradox, even though their marketing campaigns are retarded and whatnot. They are among the few companies I hope stay afloat.

edit:
Some might say, I disagree with what they do but love that they're doing it...

PrettyDeadman

Welll, such awesomness sausage REALLY deserves a home made "homage" of some kind

don't hesitate to remove if you're just running ads for them or something, no biggy...

To be hones, PoE combat was a sludgefest, extremely boring and dull. Tyranny combat also looks shit as it lacks oomph, but at least they lying like they are trying to make combat more oomphy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I hope there's a story mode so I don't have to experience that combat. AI controlled companions should take care of it.

Oh. Wow. Finally story mode and AI companions come together and form a useful mechanic that helps avoid obshitian combat. Now I see why those things got invented years ago. It all makes sense now.

duanth123

Arcane
Heh, nah, best kept low key funny Codexian "homage" than something that goes out of control before the game is even released and might hurt their sales or something. Deep down, even though I'm critical, I respect Obsidian and I really respect Paradox, even though their marketing campaigns are retarded and whatnot. They are among the few companies I hope stay afloat.

edit:
Some might say, I disagree with what they do but love that they're doing it...

Spare the rod, spoil the dev.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I hope there's a story mode so I don't have to experience that combat. AI controlled companions should take care of it.

Oh. Wow. Finally story mode and AI companions come together and form a useful mechanic that helps avoid obshitian combat. Now I see why those things got invented years ago. It all makes sense now.

Why don't you just not play it?

aratuk

Cipher
I see your Groundhog Day, Infinitron, and raise you well I'll just swallow this and be tortured by a legion of hobgoblins, all of my own creation!

(Does the benefits package at Obsidian include dental?)

Sizzle

Arcane

Why don't you just not play it?

He needs to so he can legitimately bitch about how much he hates it.

I mean, he already hates it now, just imagine how much he'll hate it after a few playthroughs ;)

Last edited:

Shilandra

Learned
Does anyone know how robust the ai will be? It said in the video that you can know control your character at anytime but then how will the ai handle combos. Is there going to be a way to set up combo or spell frequency so that you can make your spells stretch out before needing to rest and replenish them?

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think opinion of the game may have softened a bit after people saw a couple hours of actual gameplay.
rating_citation.png

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
More like there is nothing to play at the moment.

I love the setting they are trying to do, but it really looks like boring legend of korra levels of blandness.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Does anyone know how robust the ai will be? It said in the video that you can know control your character at anytime but then how will the ai handle combos. Is there going to be a way to set up combo or spell frequency so that you can make your spells stretch out before needing to rest and replenish them?
Probably same as PoE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think the AI might be more developed. They've made the fact that you can play with one character a marketing point for this game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I think the AI might be better. They've made the fact that you can play with one character a marketing point.
I interpreted that as a consequence of the mechanics. Your casters can freely spam their spells every encounter and 4 instead of 6 means each individual is stronger.

Sentinel

Arcane
If PoE is anything to go by, it's probably gonna be as useless.

Shilandra

Learned
So, um, yeah, why all the hate on Tyranny?
Maybe its because people are keeping their expectations low in order to avoid the hype induced crushing disappointment that could result from the game turning out mediocre or even bad?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's a casualized PoE made by some Obsidian B-team. Hmmm I wonder why people are not excited

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom