Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 3 Fig Update #8: New Piece of Concept Art, Time Capsule Revealed

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 3

With the Wasteland 3 Fig campaign in its final days, inXile's Brian Fargo reflects on past accomplishments and the challenges to come:

Hello Rangers!

Next week this campaign comes to an end. It’s been a great ride and I’ve been thrilled to see you guys knocking down stretch goals and social media missions alike. It’s a really wild time for inXile, with two studios running multiple projects. It is such a huge help to know we have your continued support, and that you believe in the games we want to make. Together, we’ll keep making these RPGs for many years to come!

To celebrate all our accomplishments, I have some things I want to share. First, a new concept shot from the Bischoffs…

That's not all, though. When we make games based on real-world places, we like to visit them to get a feel for them, scope out their landmarks, and generally take them in so we can create a more authentic experience in the game. And Wasteland 3 won't be any exception - we're going to be sending team members out to Colorado in the near future to research the game.

However, while we are out there, we'll also be on a bit of a secret mission. We'll be burying a retro-80s time capsule for someone to find. It will be hidden underground, and filled with all sorts of nostalgic goodies. Where will it be? We're not telling you…at least not quite so directly.

Instead, what we will be doing is putting a mirror version of it directly into Wasteland 3. Find it in the game, and you'll also find a set of directions telling you where the time capsule is buried in real life.

Upon the game's release, the first person to find the time capsule in real life and prove it to us, will win a Wasteland Franchise Pack, including a signed Wasteland 1 Art Print, Signed Wasteland 2 Collector’s Edition and Signed Wasteland 3 Collector’s Edition!

Do you have some ideas on what this time capsule should contain? Post it here in the comments, or on our Facebook or forums. We can't wait to hear all your cool and crazy ideas.

Brian Fargo
Leader in Exile​

Farewell, Fargo. This has been one of the most substantial and exciting crowdfunding campaigns in recent history, and it has been a true pleasure to be along for the ride :salute:

Heretic

Cipher
This has been one of the most substantial and exciting crowdfunding campaigns in recent history :salute:
Not counting investors, the campaign for WL3 attracted 16,500 normal backers who raised cca $800,000.
While WL2 got $3,000,000 from 61,300 backers.
Good job!:salute:

I predict WL4 will have -28,300 backers who will raise -$1,400,000.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This has been one of the most substantial and exciting crowdfunding campaigns in recent history :salute:
Not counting investors, the campaign for WL3 attracted 16,500 normal backers who raised cca $800,000.

But we are counting investors, so your point is moot. Fargo brought this to FIG exactly because he ralized that the hype and nostalgia train has left so you can't get 3million from backers alone.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
So I guess they're doing concept art like that, big deal.

Numenera looks nothing like the mock screens they made for their kickstarter pitch.

Heretic

Cipher
Fargo brought this to FIG exactly because he ralized that the hype and nostalgia train has left
The train hasn't left, the train has broken down, because we've already played their first crowdfunded game.
Money talks and it says they lost 73% of the original number of backers.

Count me in as well, I kickstarted all the games in the first wave of the supposed incline: WL2, PoE, Shadowrun, D:OS1, Dead State... but not anymore. The incline turned out to be gentler than I had hoped. In some cases even
:decline:
The real incline was, at least for me, hiding among the small unknown indie developers all along: AoD, Underrail, Xulima, Balrum...

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I hope the time capsule will only be unlocked in the launch day patch, or it's gonna be found by one of the hundreds of youtube personalities who get free review keys.

do you think someone will be mauled by a bear while searching for time capsules IRL?

Hm, on second thought...

DeepOcean

Arcane
The train hasn't left, the train has broken down, because we've already played their first crowdfunded game.
Money talks and it says they lost 73% of the original number of backers.

Count me in as well, I kickstarted all the games in the first wave of the supposed incline: WL2, PoE, Shadowrun, D:OS1, Dead State... but not anymore. The incline turned out to be gentler than I had hoped. In some cases even
:decline:
The real incline was, at least for me, hiding among the small unknown indie developers all along: AoD, Underrail, Xulima, Balrum...
Don't worry, now developers have developed the expertise to deliver what all RPG players always wanted, XCOM and MULTIPLAYER, that stuff is too complex and can't be done on a single game, they needed to fuck up and learn from their mistake to better serve us RPG fans, you know... when you were a young boy, you always dreamed with XCOM and MULTIPLAYER, now your wish will be granted by Fargo, you know... just look to the guy, isn't he an adorable dork with his robot friend?

You don't need to know anything about the game, you don't need to know if they are revamping the combat system, you don't need to know how deep the character creation will be, you don't need to know anything before buying, just look to that robot, isn't it cute? You should feel grateful to be pledging for this great opportunity to advance RPG games foward with XCOM and MULTIPLAYER.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I actually really enjoyed WL2 Director's cut, to the point I might even replay it, which I rarely have time for these days. As far as I'm concerned, Fargo and team delivered what they had promised, even if the ride was bumpy.
Therefore I will pledge my money to WL3. Fucking love the frozen setting, too, isn't being done enough in post-apoc games.
2020 here I come... :negative:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Each shot is the same - blue light emitter in one corner, yellow in another. Ping me when you learn some other tricks.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer

But we are counting investors, so your point is moot. Fargo brought this to FIG exactly because he ralized that the hype and nostalgia train has left so you can't get 3million from backers alone.

Perhaps the former backers became investors? Seems the bar is very low to become an investor.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Farewell, Fargo. This has been one of the most substantial and exciting crowdfunding campaigns in recent history, and it has been a true pleasure to be along for the ride :salute:

...Wait what? I mean yes, it was exciting. Just like seeing a high-speed train derail can, in a certain way, be exciting.

duanth123

Arcane

In commemoration of this truly amazing campaign, we should bury a time capsule with all the Codex monies that Barin Froag lost after he blacklisted the 'Dex and see for ourselves if one day he's desperate enough to go have Bherrto Neno dig it up.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

In commemoration of this truly amazing campaign, we should bury a time capsule with all the Codex monies that Barin Froag lost after he blacklisted the 'Dex and see for ourselves if he's desperate enough to go have Bherrto Neno dig it up.
I'm sure he is ruins because of the 5000 dollars he lost.

duanth123

Arcane

In commemoration of this truly amazing campaign, we should bury a time capsule with all the Codex monies that Barin Froag lost after he blacklisted the 'Dex and see for ourselves if he's desperate enough to go have Bherrto Neno dig it up.

J_C, Your ability to confidently estimate how much funding was lost due to InXile's shenanigans (and an exact 5000 no less!) is second only to the loving shilling you bestow up all those developers you look up at.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

5 grand - how ever realistic amount that is - is toilet paper for Fargo. A much more valuable thing to gain in this situation would've been the good word of mouth that would've come with the money.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

J_C, Your ability to confidently estimate how much funding was lost due to InXile's shenanigans (and an exact 5000 no less!) is second only to the loving shilling you bestow up all those developers you look up at.
But my ability to estimate how retarded you are is very good. And my estimate is that you are a huge fucking idiot.

The decline in pledges was not the result of Inxile doing something wrong, but the change in the crowdfunding scene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom