Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #9: Beasts and Bane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Megan Starks; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

After taking a month off because of Gamescom, the Tyranny team have apparently set aside their plans for a "Bronze Age and itemization" update and moved on to something new. Today's dev diary update describes two of Terratus' monstrous races - the semi-intelligent Beasts, who we already know a bit about, and the Bane, predatory wraiths who feed on magic. I quote:

Beasts of Terratus

The Beasts of Terratus are a race of partially-humanoid creatures whose history is as disputed among humans as it is between the various Beasts’ tribes. A race of hulking, hairy monsters who value predatory strength and skill above all else, these territorial hunters once ranged the whole of Terratus, but due to Kyros’ encroaching conquest, now thrive primarily in the Tiers.

Though the truth of their legends cannot be confirmed, by and large the Beasts believe that rather than evolving from smaller, four-legged carnivores, they are a more developed version of the human race, shaped over thousands of years by the magic of the land, sea, and sky in order to become tougher, fiercer, and more deadly—in order to be better predators than their hairless, blunt-clawed ancestors.

Regardless of the veracity of who’s evolved from whom, there’s certainly little dispute regarding these creatures’ ties to the land, as seen by the varied adaptations distinctive to each tribe. Dark and sleek as a starless night, the Shadowhunters were clever, agile predators who killed from the shadows, whereas the Stonestalkers tend to larger builds and can be as dull-witted as boulders. The Mantaborn of Stalwart’s coast are a semi-aquatic tribe, rarely if ever seen outside their nests.

Beasts do not think the same as humans do. As wild, animalistic creatures, their experience of the world is extremely visceral and sensory-related. They consider themselves apex predators and take great pride and exhilaration in their ability to stalk and kill creatures of all types, humans sometimes included. However, they form strong emotional ties with their own kith, and will often express a range of complex, intense feelings within their speech, from thrill to fury to easy-going contentment.

The tribes themselves are split amongst fiercely-fought-for territories—a pride of relatives led by a single, strongest female called the Prima, her rank won through bloodshed and dominance and just as often lost the same way. While Beast tribes are often matriarchal due to the fact that females are typically larger and more aggressive than the males of their race, it’s not completely unheard of for a male to lead a smaller hunting pack within the larger tribe.

Humans often worry Beasts have a larger agenda—but their goals are as fragmented as their tribes. Survive. Thrive. Kill all humans. Become the dominant species.

Who knows what they’re really after?

The Magebane

Little is known about the Bane, as few are strong – or lucky – enough to survive an encounter with them. The Sages of the School of Ink and Quill know that these creatures are a mix of the arcane and the mundane – capable of both physical and magical attacks. Accounts from survivors of Bane attacks say that they first attack any mages or fighters wielding weapons and armor imbued with magic. The Sages speculate that the Bane somehow need magical energy to survive – feeding off of the life force of spellcasters. This belief has given these creatures their name – the Magebane, though it is often shortened to ‘Bane’.

Though Bane can be found throughout Terratus, they are most commonly located near the Oldwalls and Spires. Something about these ancient structures draws the Bane near. Many historians believe that, rather than any property inherent to their nature, it is the presence of the Bane that gave these structures their reputation for being unlucky. Regardless of the cause, Kyros’ law forbids any from entering the Oldwalls. Given what lurks inside, most believe this law entirely unnecessary for only the mad or suicidal would willingly enter.

Wisps: The weakest form of Bane, their form more diffuse than other types. Wisps are slow-moving, making them the easiest of the Bane to outrun. While a single Wisp can be defeated easily by a trained soldier, they are rarely found alone. Where a Wisp is found, the Scourge and Malice are not far behind.

Scourge: The most common – and aggressive – form of Bane is the Scourge. These vicious creatures travel in swarms, surrounding their prey with whirlwinds of tearing claws. Entire villages have been wiped out by a single pack of Scourge.

Malice: Rarely seen – at least, not by those who lived to tell of the encounter. A Malice’s touch can drain and corrupt the living, taking their strength to empower the Bane.

Havoc: Legends tell of an incredibly powerful form of Bane known only as the Havoc. There are no recorded sightings of a Havoc in recent centuries, so little is known of their abilities. Legends and campfire stories say that if a Havoc is seen, kill any other Bane present to deny the Havoc strength. No one knows why this advice has survived for centuries.
I wonder if you'll really benefit from equipping non-magical weapons and armor against the Banes or if that's just fluff.

duanth123

Arcane
by and large the Beasts believe that rather than evolving from smaller, four-legged carnivores, they are a more developed version of the human race, shaped over thousands of years by the magic of the land, sea, and sky in order to become tougher, fiercer, and more deadly

So the semi-intelligent Beasts grasp evolutionary theory.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Rubber-stamped by their new Design Director though, amirite ?

His role involves gameplay, not writing. They're not going to give him the actual power of the bullshit title they gave Avellone.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The bit about "evolution" strikes me as a pretentious way of saying "The Beasts believe they used to be men."

Trip

Learned
Though how exactly they're able to suss out the sort of causality that took us until the 19th century to figure out... I have to say, the "lore" of this game is something I want to hear less and less about. They might've masked the bullshit more easily in-game, if they hadn't started giving these high-level summaries of their 5-minute brainstorming sessions. Btw, does anyone know what the overall reaction to these is, outside the Codex?

Sannom

Augur
Btw, does anyone know what the overall reaction to these is, outside the Codex?
I wanna say "nothing", the Codex is pretty much the only place in which the game is discussed regularly. Maybe on Something Awful too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Has anybody at Obsidian told Paradox yet that putting the game's official forum on Paradox's website was a huge and mindbogglingly stupid mistake? FFS, you had an existing audience of Pillars of Eternity forumgoers on the Obsidian forums who would be interested in this game and you just left them behind.

TimCain badler

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wanna say "nothing", the Codex is pretty much the only place in which the game is discussed regularly. Maybe on Something Awful too.

Yeah, the discussion is so dried up elsewhere that one of their artists has to resort to reading our forums for feedback despite not particularly liking us.

V_K

Arcane
Fucking SJW-s, making the female monster bigger!

bmc_-_diceratiidae-bufoceratias.wedli_.jpg

BlackGoat

Arbiter
This fluff puts me to sleep man. It's like dragon age shit. Wisps and banes and malices. And beasts. Utterly generic. Yawn

Unwanted

Illuvatard

Unwanted
He must be trying to overload our sensory perceptions...which we use to perceive the world. That;s ok I prefer an abstract dada-esque perception of existence anyway.

Tigranes

Arcane
Has anybody at Obsidian told Paradox yet that putting the game's official forum on Paradox's website was a huge and mindbogglingly stupid mistake? FFS, you had an existing audience of Pillars of Eternity forumgoers on the Obsidian forums who would be interested in this game and you just left them behind.

TimCain badler

It's been Obsidian's policy to have externally published game forums on the publisher's website (e.g. NWN2), except when the publisher didn't really have a robust forum available (e.g. Alpha Protocol).

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
They should have gone with insect-like or reptilian humanoids, anything but what seems to be omnivore mammals. At least the idea of alpha female would have been credible and everyone could have drawn real world feelings about insects/reptiles and apply them accordingly (massive egg laying, hive mind, etc). They went instead for nonsensical ideological bullshit that makes no sense whatsoever unless somehow created/controlled artificially by magic/gods/whatever.
You cannot pretend you're serious when you design shit like this for fuck sake, it's insulting...At least when Gygax/TSR wrote their Monster Manuals, they put crazy shit in there knowing it was crazy magical shit.

Banes might be interesting though it's probably because they don't say anything about them really. They should remove their "designed to fuck you up later in the game after you got some cool gear" sticker though...it's sticking out...

V_K

Arcane
They should have gone with insect-like or reptilian humanoids, anything but what seems to be omnivore mammals. At least the idea of alpha female would have been credible
Actually, there are matriarchal mammals as well, the best known example being hyenas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom