Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny Gamescom 2016 Previews at PCGamesN and RPGWatch

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

The embargo on Tyranny Gamescom coverage expired today, but it looks like not many outlets were interested in previewing it. In fact, the only major English language website that previewed Tyranny is PCGamesN. You can chalk that up to competing RPG attention from Torment and Divinity I guess, plus the already extensive Tyranny material released by Paradox last week. Anyway, as I suspected, the game's spellcrafting system is a major topic of the preview, and the accompanying video also has some new gameplay footage, featuring a dungeon location known as the Oldwalls (a name that we've seen before) which sounds like it might be Tyranny's equivalent of Pillars of Eternity's megadungeon. There's also some information in the preview about Artifact items, which I guess are its equivalent of Eternity's Soulbound items. Here's the video and an excerpt:

All too frequently mages can feel like one of the more neglected classes in RPGs, but Tyranny is building spellslingers in an interesting new way. “One of the things we’re doing differently in Tyranny is that you create your own spells by finding magical sigils in the world,” explains Brian Heins, game director on Tyranny. “So you start with a core sigil like fire, frost or lightning, and then decide how that magic type is going to express itself, whether it’s a long range bolt or a cone, like a great cone of flames, or a fireball.”

In the game’s spell creation menus, these are represented by a series of runes that are attached together. Further sigil runes can be added to modify the way in which spells deal damage, too: “You can actually create a magical fireball that leaves targets bleeding on the ground. [There are] a lot of different effects you can apply to customize and craft your own spells however you want,” says Heins.

In combat, these spells become visual feats as ice spikes erupt from the ground and waves of rippling energy tear across dungeons. It quickly becomes obvious that Tyranny is one of the best looking isometric games made since the classic RPG renaissance began. Your party consists of just four members this time, making it a little easier to appreciate each of their animations in the swirling melee.

[...] One of the many things we associate with fantasy lore are legendary weapons, be they King Arthur's Excalibur or Gandalf’s Glamdring. RPGs frequently have powerful named swords, but there never seems to be a reason for their fame. Tyranny is different: for a sword to become legendary, it needs to accomplish something.

“Artifacts are these legendary items, everybody talks about them,” reveals Heins. “Each one has their own reputation. So the more you use an artifact, the more it accomplishes great deeds, and the more legendary it becomes.”

When you find an artifact weapon, the character who equips it gains access to a new ability, such as powerful debuffs or special attacks. Using the weapon builds a meter on its inventory page, and as that meter builds so does the weapon’s renown. The most renowned weapons in the realm are, naturally, powerful tools that will see your enemies fall harder and faster.

And you’ll want powerful weapons too, as there are going to be quite a few classic dungeon crawls full of monsters and bosses. “One of the things we tried to do is create our dungeon experiences as much more of a classic dungeon crawl experience with traps, with interesting encounters and creatures and lots of treasure and loot to go and find,” says Heins. “So they’re very deadly experiences in the game but the reward is well worth it.”

Aside from PCGamesN, the only other English language Tyranny preview I've been able to find is at RPGWatch, where Myrthos offers a detailed description of his gameplay demo and complains about the game's more casual mechanics. Perhaps more previews will show up later on. We'll be publishing our own Gamescom impressions of Tyranny at some point, but don't hold your breath on that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a feeling that some people don't want to enjoy Tyranny. There is nothing Obsidian could tell about this game which pleases these people. There is an automatic response of "this games is shit".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't people geek out about spellcrafting in Morrowind and complain about its removal in Skyrim

I think the idea of translating the Elder Scrolls system circa mid-2000s into an isometric game is pretty interesting in and of itself.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I have a feeling that some people don't want to enjoy Tyranny. There is nothing Obsidian could tell about this game which pleases these people. There is an automatic response of "this games is shit".
Have you watched the vid?

Pick damage type (Frost, Fire, Lightning, etc)
Pick Shape (Cone, Circle, Cilinder, Self, etc)
Pick secondary effects (bleed, increase range, urmom)

That's boring as fuck.

Don't people geek out about spellcrafting in Morrowind and complain about its removal in Skyrim

I think the idea of translating the Elder Scrolls system circa mid-2000s into an isometric game is a pretty interesting one in and of itself.
Fuck off :lol:

This is closer to Two Worlds 2 spellmaking than morrowind.

Athelas

Arcane
“One of the things we tried to do is create our dungeon experiences as much more of a classic dungeon crawl experience with traps, with interesting encounters and creatures and lots of treasure and loot to go and find,” says Heins. “So they’re very deadly experiences in the game but the reward is well worth it.”
We're finally getting that Infinity Engine spiritual successor we've always wanted. :troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That's boring as fuck.
Even if that would be all (and I'm sure what you wrote are just a few examples and I hope there will be more options), you can create your unique spells with it, instead of the usual ones which you always see in RPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

That's boring as fuck.

What exactly do you expect a comprehensive spellcrafting system in an isometric RPG to look like? It has to have all those things.

This is just more proof for my theory that some people are basically exhausted and bored by the nitty gritty details of party-based tactical combat in RPGs. They just don't want to look at this stuff anymore. Making it more complex and detailed just pisses them off even more.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
lmao

Even if that would be all (and I hope there will be more options), you can create your unique spells with it, instead of the usual ones which you always see in RPGs.
There will be more options but those are the 3 categories that form a spell (there's screenshots of spellmaking ui in the other thread).

Your unique spells will just be 1000 variations of elementalballs and heals so who cares. Premade spells at least aren't restricted to a preset framework so they can go wilder.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
lmao

Even if that would be all (and I hope there will be more options), you can create your unique spells with it, instead of the usual ones which you always see in RPGs.
There will be more options but those are the 3 categories that form a spell (there's screenshots of spellmaking ui in the other thread).

Your unique spells will just be 1000 variations of elementalballs and heals so who cares. Premade spells at least aren't restricted to a preset framework so they can go wilder.
Shrugs, if I can create my own spell of Charm person+cone+haste enemies which will make enemies kill their budies in a few second, it is already more unique that most RPGs offer. Or Circle+Fireball+Lower Fire resistance. Or some combined buffs for myself. Similarly like the Chants in Pillars of Eternity which you could tailor to your liking.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012

That's boring as fuck.

What expectly do you expect a comprehensive spellcrafting system in an isometric RPG to look like? It has to have all those things.

This is just more proof for my theory that some people are basically exhausted and bored by the nitty gritty of party-based tactical combat in RPGs. They just don't want to look at this stuff anymore. Making it more complex and detailed just pisses them off even more.

"it's better than nothing" logic.

People like the spell making in Morrowind because it allows for the creation of spells that alter the gameplay in significant ways both in combat, with a spell that gives you a full bound set instantly or a spell that simultaneously soultraps and kills a target, and out of combat, with extended waterwalking or levitation spells and so on. It went far beyond simply modifying an elemental effect or the shape of a spell. It allowed you to make spells that you'd expect a real mage would make, convenient and broken stuff.

The system they are giving us is the spell making equivalent of random loot. Instead of Owl's Helmet of +2 Agility you get Triangular Fireball of Bleeding.

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

It'd be awesome if they could just shut the fuck up, stop making stupid shit up just for the marketing hype, focus on simply making a game as they want to make it, release demo, release the game...done!
The problem is not Tyranny itself, it'll be whatever the hell it'll be. The problem is that indeed, EVERY TIME they talk about it or show anything about it, they make it sound more and more retarded.

- Evil won
- That could be cool. Not sure how you gonna pull that off but ok.
- Totally, it's like Microsoft bought the Roman Empire...and you work for them! Dum dum dum!
- What?

- You can make magic as you want
- That could be cool, like research or more like wild magic or something?
- Nope, just collect glowing shit in the middle nowhere for no reason whatsoever, and there you go, Magic!
- What?

- We're making it more human oriented, less traditional fantasy with elves and stuff.
- Nice, more realistic gritty but still fantasy.
- Nope, our world completely ignores biology, culture development and of course how human societies develop because fuck that shit, it's fantasy so women can own houses, men can own boats, everyone loves joining the army to get killed in endless wars and yet we never have population issues unless we say so. Gotta love fantasy! So pick a skin color, pick a tatoo for under your armor and helm, and pick a beard, you're done!
- What?

Thonius

Arcane

It'd be awesome if they could just shut the fuck up, stop making stupid shit up just for the marketing hype, focus on simply making a game as they want to make it, release demo, release the game...done!
The problem is not Tyranny itself, it'll be whatever the hell it'll be. The problem is that indeed, EVERY TIME they talk about it or show anything about it, they make it sound more and more retarded.

- Evil won
- That could be cool. Not sure how you gonna pull that off but ok.
- Totally, it's like Microsoft bought the Roman Empire...and you work for them! Dum dum dum!
- What?

- You can make magic as you want
- That could be cool, like research or more like wild magic or something?
- Nope, just collect glowing shit in the middle nowhere for no reason whatsoever, and there you go, Magic!
- What?

- We're making it more human oriented, less traditional fantasy with elves and stuff.
- Nice, more realistic gritty but still fantasy.
- Nope, our world completely ignores biology, culture development and of course how human societies develop because fuck that shit, it's fantasy so women can own houses, men can own boats, everyone loves joining the army to get killed in endless wars and yet we never have population issues unless we say so. Gotta love fantasy! So pick a skin color, pick a tatoo for under your armor and helm, and pick a beard, you're done!
- What?
Well would you rather know this before purchase or after? Obsidian is just not lying to you...much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
"it's better than nothing" logic.

The logic is that those elements that Excidium listed are precisely the basic building blocks I'd expect to find in the spellcrafting system of a party combat-oriented isometric RPG. I enjoy the core experience of spellcasting in those games, therefore I do not find those elements boring.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, it's retarded to complain about having the ability to craft your own spells in a party-based isometric RPG for once.

It would be justifiable to lament how basic it is, if it turns out all you literally do is create Firebolts and Fireballs and nothing more interesting.

To be really interesting the system of magical effects would have to be set up for cool emergent results - the basic example being D:OS' elements rock paper scissors.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
How many isometric CRPGs are even isometric?

19e7sd.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can't get over that "mages are weak" statement.

I mean, I understand that content writing requires you to have a lot of expertise in a lot of subjects and you rely on platitudes and blanket statements, but it seems odd to lead with a proposition that actively contradicts elemental experience.

Might as well say, "We know grain isn't the most popular food group, but here's how we're going to make bread good."

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
To be really interesting the system of magical effects would have to be set up for cool emergent results - the basic example being D:OS' elements rock paper scissors.

That would require a level of environmental persistence of spell effects that is (probably?) beyond the current scope of the "Eternity engine". But there's still more stuff you can do between that and just firebolts and fireballs.

Can't get over that "mages are weak" statement.

I mean, I understand that content writing requires you to have a lot of expertise in a lot of subjects and you rely on platitudes and blanket statements, but it seems odd to lead with a proposition that actively contradicts elemental experience.

It's probably not an uncommon opinion among RPG neophytes and dudebros who always pick Human Male Fighter as their first character, and maybe some out-of-touch roleplayers who still think the mage in modern RPGs is this guy.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I'm not expecting DAO/DOS style environmental manipulation. A more robust system of effects would be amazing, though. Have a magical reageant associated with lightness and emptiness, and then depending on how it is paired it grants everything from floating in the air to faster movement to lower encumbrance, etc.

Really, the opportunity missed, between 'evil wins' theme and the spellmaker mechanism, is some adaptation of the medieval belief in humours onto the effects system. E.g. have spells manipulate the humours in the subject's body - overload the dominant humours to make people internally combust, take over only some limbs of the target so that you can move them but they will attack whoever they want (or vice versa), realign the balance of humours in one's body to gain extreme resistance to cold, etc. Obviously, the game which DID take on board aspects of the humours (and their Eastern counterparts in ki, etc) is Numenera...

OK, so we know we wont' get any of that shit. Within the realms of reason, it would be nice to see some interesting secondary effects; cast as trap, detonate after x seconds, detonate upon command, chain projectile (for healing, paralysis, etc). It would also be nice if the creation system wasn't deterministic to the extent of "I spend 80 magic points, so this fireball does 36 damage at 20m radius", but more like, say, a paralysis AOE spell can only afford to have a small radius but outside that there is a secondary radius that slows people down, etc.

OK, fine, I know all we will get is Firebolt, Fireball, Sunfire and Fire Magic Missile...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom