Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Launch Trailer and Reviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided; Eidos Montreal

Even though the game was at E3 this year, and now at Gamescom, Eidos Montreal haven't released a Deus Ex: Mankind Divided gameplay video of their own since June. Instead we got a stream of crappy TV spots, bizarre real-life bionic tie-ins, a Human Revolution plot recap, and other nonsense. Time flew, and now the game is just four days away from release. Eidos Montreal published the launch trailer yesterday, and the reviews started going out today. Here's the trailer and a list of reviews courtesy of GameBanshee:

IGN, 9.2/10.
Polygon, 8.5/10.
PC Gamer, 88/100.
GameSpot, 8/10.
Giant Bomb, 4/5.
Eurogamer, Recommended.
Trusted Reviews, 3/5.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun, scoreless.
TIME, 4.5/5.
Ars Technica, Buy.
Forbes, 8/10.
Videogamer.com, 7/10.
The Telegraph, 4/5.
GameInformer, 7/10.
The Wrap, scoreless.
PCGamesN, 7/10.
USGamer, 4/5.
Push Square, 7/10.
Hardcore Gamer, 3/5.
The Sixth Axis, 9/10.
Twinfinite, 3.5/5.
God is a Geek, 9.0/10.
Digital Trends, 8.0/10.
Bit-Gamer, 90%.
BleedingCool, 8.7/10.
Xbox Achievements, 88/100.
The Verge, scoreless.
CGMagazine Online, 10/10.
Mirror, 5/5.
EGM Now, 8.5/10.
IBTimes, 4.5/5.
We Got This Covered, 3.5/5.​

As you can see, the reviews are generally positive but not overwhelmingly so. Many of the slightly less positive reviews cite issues with the game's storyline - too short and constrained, not interesting enough, even unfinished-feeling - as well as a lack of mechanical innovation. Gee EM, maybe if you hadn't spent the last five years making a crappy tablet spinoff, a crappier Thief reboot and a "challenge mode" nobody asked for, you would have had time to address those concerns. Oh well!

As you can see, the reviews are generally positive but not overwhelmingly so. Many of the slightly less positive reviews cite issues with the game's storyline - too short and constrained, not interesting enough, even unfinished-feeling - as well as a lack of mechanical innovation. Gee EM, maybe if you hadn't spent the last five years making a crappy tablet spinoff, a crappier Thief reboot and a "challenge mode" nobody asked for, you would have had time to address those concerns. Oh well!

I read some reviews that said that it took them about 15-20 hours to finish the game, including all the side quests they could find.

The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine took me about 20 hours to complete and it's a fucking DLC!

This game cost 60$...

Now mommy, I know that quality is much more important than quantity...But if this game were a dick - no woman would fuck it - IT'S WAY TOO SMALL!!!

Who the fuck want to buy a game that cost 60$ but deliver the length of a DLC!?

I dunno, maybe i'm missing something...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I read some reviews that said that it took them about 15-20 hours to finish the game, including all the side quests they could find.

The Witcher 3: Blood & Wine took me about 20 hours to complete and it's a fucking DLC!

This game cost 60$...

Now mommy, I know that quality is much more important than quantity...But if this game were a dick - no woman would fuck it - IT'S WAY TOO SMALL!!!

I dunno, maybe i'm missing something...

Well one is an open world game, the other isn't. I mean it's pretty normal for regular single player first person shooter campaigns to be even a lot shorter than that.

I suspect it would take a stealth obsessive like me a lot longer than 15-20 hours, though.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Eeeehhhhhhhhh... I don't even care anymore...
b3b.gif

Cynicus

Augur
Seems like everybody and their dog has a gamez site now.

Anyway, I've not been following the game's development, but I imagine that MD will be much like HR. Probably better in some ways, probably worse in others. OK for a diversion, but still missing the je ne sais quoi of the original. Despite IW, I would really like to see Deus Ex back in Spector's hands, although that's obviously a pipe dream at this point.

Well one is an open world game, the other isn't. I mean it's pretty normal for regular single player first person shooter campaigns to be even a lot shorter than that.

I suspect it would take a stealth obsessive like me a lot longer than 15-20 hours, though.

Maybe you're right.

Maybe it's just me - wanting good games to last longer.

At least, that is my first impression, from what I've seen in the game-play videos.

Probably, what confused me from the beginning, was the genre tag they used for this game... RPG.
As such, my subconscious probably decided that this game suppose to be at least 50 hours long...

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Probably, what confused me from the beginning, was the genre tag they used for this game... RPG.
As such, my subconscious probably decided that this game suppose to be at least 50 hours long...

The first Deus Ex was 35 hours at most and that was me reading and exploring everything and not skipping through dialogue. Human Revolution was comparable.

If you want to see what a really long stealth action game is like, play Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. You'll realize you may not like what you get (I did, but systemic content is systemic content).

The first Deus Ex was 35 hours at most and that was me reading and exploring everything and not skipping through dialogue. Human Revolution was comparable.

If you want to see what a really long stealth action game is like, play Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. You'll realize you may not like what you get (I did, but systemic content is systemic content).

I played all the games you mentioned.
Somehow i thought all Previous Deus-Ex games was longer....

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Seems like everybody and their dog has a gamez site now.

Anyway, I've not been following the game's development, but I imagine that MD will be much like HR. Probably better in some ways, probably worse in others. OK for a diversion, but still missing the je ne sais quoi of the original. Despite IW, I would really like to see Deus Ex back in Spector's hands, although that's obviously a pipe dream at this point.

The je ne sais quoi was an actually interesting way the story unfolded, the npcs and espcially the much more fresh and to the point writing. HR really suffers in the last part, not enough paranoia. Only Sarif dialogues were cool and hinted at good things that turned out to be pretty meh.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I have 80 hours on HR, and taht is two playthroughs. Seems right 40 for each because I take reaaaly slow and try to take in everything hidden in the maps. Also trying multiple solutions to the missions. If the game is 20 I say I will prob take 30 or maybe even more.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
cant wait to put my hot mitts on this ice-cold baby :bounce:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'll wait for the Ultimate Deluxe Director's Cut version with all the DLC integrated into it plus other gameplay enhancements to be released.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dildolos aka Intinium

I already preordered it anyway

depreorder
Yes you CAN!

anyway...
:updatedmytxt:

and that was me reading and exploring everything
stop speedreading them gaems!

I'll wait for the Ultimate Deluxe Director's Cut version with all the DLC integrated into it plus other gameplay enhancements to be released.
This edition will come out just about the the same time when will it be cracked.
Happy waiting!

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obv they've shortened the length to make you go hard af for the 25 dollar 10h DLCs they'll try to sell you 3 of. Standard industry practice at this point.

I mean I don't mind paying 60 dollars for 20 hours of say, Phantom Pain tier stealth gameplay in theory, a movie ticket is 15 bucks for 100 minutes at the end of the day. But it's stating the obvious that studios who spend that much brainpower on making the financial model and trying to drag out every last dollar almost never succeed when compared to the idealist types who make a good game first.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Dildolos aka Intinium

I already preordered it anyway

depreorder
Yes you CAN!

anyway...
:updatedmytxt:

and that was me reading and exploring everything
stop speedreading them gaems!

This edition will come out just about the the same time when will it be cracked.
Happy waiting!

I paid 30 $ for my game, you mad faggot? 60 dollars. LOL, who the fuck pays full money for that in 2016? If you do, you should not have been born.

So all in all, I will likely pay 60 dollars for the full 4 DLC package + full game. Not bad.

60 dollars is nothing, it's what I wipe my ass with. it's pocket change money for 30-50+ hours of fun

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Waiting for Codex review.

We *mostly* do RPG reviews here, so I don't see that happening anytime soon... :M

You review the Shitcher 3, which is the definition of popamole fantasy action FPS with light RPG elements, but refuse to review Deus Ex 4, which is even more an RPG than most of the other reviews in that genre?

On top of that, you reviewed Undertale... Favorably... let that sink in for a moment.

Okay. :)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
You review the Shitcher 3, which is the definition of popamole fantasy action FPS with light RPG elements, but refuse to review Deus Ex, which is even more an RPG than most of the other reviews in that genre?
I would like to meet this Yu, that you speak of, he seems an interesting character.

I preordered this, but the meh reception from media makes me consider canceling it. 7/10 more of the same from the shill brigade does not inspire any confidence.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You review the Shitcher 3, which is the definition of popamole fantasy action FPS with light RPG elements, but refuse to review Deus Ex, which is even more an RPG than most of the other reviews in that genre?
I would like to meet this Yu, that you speak of, he seems an interesting character.

I preordered this, but the meh reception from media makes me consider canceling it. 7/10 more of the same from the shill brigade does not inspire any confidence.

Except it's actually a 84/100 and 81/100 average on metacritic and opencritic, not really a 7/10. But sure.

http://opencritic.com/game/1812/deus-ex-mankind-divided

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/deus-ex-mankind-divided

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
60 dollars is nothing, it's what I wipe my ass with

I bet.
But don't forget to be a good boy from time to time and attend to mommy's secret guilty pleasure without her asking.
She must be compensated somehow for the food she's cramming into your foul mouth and the electric bills she pays for you to be able to enjoy Deus Ex.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom