Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Pete Hines on Fallout 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<b>Pete Hines</b>, Fallout fan #1, decided to share a <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_index.php>Fallout 3 status report</a> with <a href=http://www.computerandvideogames.com>CVG</a>. Oh, and there are some <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235463>Oblivion</a> Q&A there too.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>And finally - how's Fallout 3 coming along?</b>
<br>
<br>
We've got a lot of folks working on that game now, and what I've seen of it so far is looking really good and has me very excited - I'm a big fan. We're approaching Fallout 3 as if we developed the first and second games - we're developing it just like we developed Oblivion. Fallout 3 is our baby, we want to stay true to what it is and we want to deliver something that all the fans think is worthwhile. We're trying to move the series forward, keeping it fresh and cool while staying true to its roots. When we're ready we'll let people know, and hopefully people will be excited about some of the ideas we have and some of the stuff we're up to. </blockquote>
<br>
Just like Oblivion, huh? That's not really a good thing, is it, Pete?
<br>
<br>

HardCode

Erudite
More like "Sellout 3".

Pete Hines said:
... but the problem is that when you come back to your house and there are items missing, it doesn't feel like somebody's stolen them, more like the game's broken.

Only the XBox morons who couldn't find Caius would think that. Then again, who is the target audience?

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
HardCode said:
More like "Sellout 3".

Pete Hines said:
... but the problem is that when you come back to your house and there are items missing, it doesn't feel like somebody's stolen them, more like the game's broken.

Only the XBox morons who couldn't find Caius would think that. Then again, who is the target audience?

This a Bethesda game. Randomly disappearing items would fit right in with their wonderful programming work.

spacemoose

Erudite
Excalibur said:
We're trying to move the series forward, keeping it fresh and cool

in other words dumbing it down for console and making it a 3d shooter.

No you don't understand, to remain true to its roots, the game must be moved forward and kept fresh, just as the the original fallout was a fresh step forward. Being static and fresh at the same time is natural, to think otherwise is thoughtcrime.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Excalibur said:
umm? haha? :shock:

I think he was being sarcastic. Had to be. Most games are a fresh step forward. So every sequel by that regard does remain true to its roots.

You were being sarcastic, right spacemoose? :shock:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pete Hines said:
We've got a lot of folks working on that game now, and what I've seen of it so far is looking really good and has me very excited - I'm a big fan.
A big Bethesda fan, certainly.

Fallout 3 is our baby, we want to stay true to what it is and we want to deliver something that all the fans think is worthwhile.
Translation: This ain't your daddy's Fallout, boy. We do whatever we f*cking want with the name.

FireWolf

Liturgist
Fallout 3 is our baby, we want to stay true to what it is and we want to deliver something that all the fans think is worthwhile.

All which fans. It doesn't say Fallout fans, it could quite easily mean Bethesda Fans. For one, appeasing all the Fallout fans is impossible. About as close they could go to delivering something Fallout fans think is worthwhile, is by giving it to a studio that wont balls it up.

Rina

Scholar
Fallout 3: a post-apocalyptic role-playing game coming next winter! Now with sky erosion and Martha Stewart!

:cry:

Fintilgin

Educated
Pete Hines said:

Actually, I agree with this. I mean, it's a neat idea to have AI thieves able to loot your house, but I think it would be hard to do without turning it into a sub-game with upgradable locks, guard hiring, and all that. Furthermore, the ideal end result of fretting out about protecting your house is that nothing gets stolen. So you spend a lot of development time and player effort for no net effect. There's also the issue of really needing to provide the player with a 'lead' as to who stole their stuff and possible ways to get it back or else you're really entering into the realm of the 'unfun' (not to mention huge amounts of development time).

I also think it's good for the player to have a 'safe' home base where they can dump stuff without worring about people picking it up.

That said, I think you could do some cool things to indicate to the player that their house has been robbed so it didn't look like a bug. For example, one would be simply to smack the cell with a 'jolt' so that a bunch of the physics enabled objects that you've piled up in your house, (books, bottles, swords, whatever) fall on the floor in disaray like the place has been ransacked. You could also do something as simple as having a text message when you reentered the house that it looks like someone else had been there.

All in all though, I think it's a 'feature' best avoided and Bethesda is really in the right on this one.

elander_

Arbiter
Fintilgin said:
All in all though, I think it's a 'feature' best avoided and Bethesda is really in the right on this one.

Bah the only thing they had to do was to provide the player some feedback of what was going on.

Spazmo

Erudite
I like how every sentence in there is a contradiction. "We're trying to develop it so it'll be black, but still be pretty white."

Makagor

Liturgist
But are they gonna take out spears? 'Cuz ya know, hardly anybody used them in Fallouts 1& 2 anyway, right?

merry andrew

Erudite
As long as there are curse words and zombies and hookers, it will be awesome!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom