Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Colony Ship RPG Update #6: Factions Overview

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colony Ship RPG; Iron Tower Studios; Scott Hamm; Vault Dweller

For this month's Colony Ship RPG development update, Vault Dweller has written a detailed description of all of the game's factions. Unsurprisingly, there's a faction representing each side of the mutiny that brought the titular ship to its current state. The player character will be a member of the unaffiliated "Freemen" faction, and over the course of the game will venture forth into the Habitat, the area of the ship where the other factions make their home. More interesting is the wide variety of religious-themed factions, including a caste of sacred mutant engineers and an order of mysterious monks. Here are their full descriptions:

Men of the Covenant

When a small percentage of children in the Habitat were first born deformed, they were immediately shunned. Superstitions – that their deformities were contagious, that they were radioactive – swiftly followed and they were branded Mutants. The young were abandoned, and those whose defects didn't manifest until later driven out of the Habitat.

As the number of outcast Mutants grew, they began to settle in what had come to be known as the Engine Room, the vast open space providing access to the Ship’s engines and reactor. With the condition of the fusion reactor degrading to dangerous levels, and the number of volunteers for jobs in areas exposed to radiation remaining few, the Mutants approached the Habitat to negotiate the Covenant, a pact granting the Mutants protection from harassment and violence in exchange for their maintenance of the engines and other vital ship systems.

Out of necessity, engine work and electronics were taught to the outcasts by Engineering Officers, and out of "charity" Christianity was introduced by the missionaries. Over the decades, the isolated Mutant collective became increasingly tribal, and the confused worship of both science and religion led to a theocratic, caste-based society. Believing themselves chosen by a higher power, the Mutants declared their disfigurements not a curse but the Mark of God, the physical manifestation of their destiny to save the ship, and thus mankind.

Now the Mutant priests hide the stigmata of their kind behind masks depicting beatific metal faces, and their Consecrators regularly tour the Habitats, to seek out children bearing the Mark and to spread the word of God. Frowning upon (or more aptly, fearing) such blasphemy, the Church of the Elect claims that the Mark of the Beast is the proper name for the Mutants' affliction, but as long as they tend the Ship's engines they remain inviolable.

ECLSS

At the heart of the Ship sits one of its deepest mysteries: the House Ecclesiastes. A simple, unadorned facade belies the importance of this temple, and the curious visitor is welcomed by nothing more than a centuries-faded relief spelling ECLSS and two well-maintained turrets. Only senior faction representatives are granted audience here. All others are turned away.

The monks of House Ecclesiastes are the keepers of many secrets. Deep within the zone, they are said to meditate on the very essence of Life and Death, but their practice is not one of philosophy. Their rituals are crucial to the systems that allow every citizen to survive. The burden of their knowledge is so heavy that they have cast aside all other earthly concerns, caring not for wealth, pleasure or power. Thus their motto: He who increases in Knowledge increases in Sorrow.

With few exceptions the needs of these ascetics are modest, but whatever they request, they promptly receive. In return they offer nothing but the continued supply of air to breathe and water to drink.

Generations will come and go, but the Ship is eternal.​

The update also reports that Vault Dweller has hired Scott Hamm, lead designer of Iron Tower's cancelled Lovecraftian RPG Cyclopean who is also contributing to Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, to help him write the game and hopefully finish it on time. That's right, Iron Tower has a genuine writing team now.

P.S. If you want to know what ECLSS stands for, just use Google.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The mutant faction is a bit clichéd, deformed humans are somehow resistant to radiation, cast out babies somehow survive to grow into a mutant society.

On the other hand, the other faction reminds me of a more ascetic brotherhood of steel.

Esquilax

Arcane
What I find strange is how the scientific knowledge that initially created and maintained the ship in the first few generations devolved into ritual. How do you have access to all sorts of scientific knowledge, as I'm sure that the ship would, and then lose it all to the point where you're only left with the hows but not the whys, all the while remaining in the same place. After all, it's not like a post-apocalyptic setting where everything has been wiped out; the Ship may be hanging on by a thread, but it's still there.

The Protectors are governed by the Mission Control Council, which appoints the Mission Commander to implement their policies and decisions. Failure is regarded as a deviation from the Mission. As such, Commanders are twice as susceptible to death-by-misadventure as the average citizen.

Ha! Seems like a pretty dubious honor, sort of like getting voted in as Overseer of Vault 11.

The ECLSS faction sounds fascinating to me. Couldn't they simply take over the ship and rule with an iron fist solely based on their ability to shut off the air vents?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Iron Tower's cancelled Lovecraftian RPG Cyclopean

WHAT?!

Oi, someone give us more info on this one.
It was announced while AOD was fairly early in development. It had it's own subforum over there and everything (Another game was Scars of War, a first-person real-time rpg that also got cancelled or put on "indefinite hiatus"). VD or the other members of the AOD team weren't working on it though. It was just Scott, who was doing writing and design (and I don't think it progressed any beyond that stage). If I remember correctly the plan was for the AOD team to move over to Cyclopean once AOD was released. Eventually Scott cancelled the game because it wasn't progressing enough, and the forum got either deleted or hidden.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?search/39220689/&q=cyclopean&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

There was plenty of Codex news posted on it. Unfortunately, most of that news linked to posts in the Cyclopean subforum at Iron Tower and thus don't work anymore. The Codex interview is probably the best source of info.

What I recall about it:

-turned-based isometric rpg based on Cthulhu mythos. Set in Arkham

-four endings I believe, 2 anti-mythos, 2 pro-mythos (you can be evil and help the Old Ones)

-sanity playing a big role, spells costing sanity (unless you actually give yourself over to the Old Ones in which case you are "protected," but obviously that has its own drawbacks)

-interesting background mechanic. Basically origin stories for how you get started, but it also determined starting stats and skills to a large degree. I remember a few: soldier who fought cultists previously, noble who inherited a mansion in Arkham, being raised as a child of cultists, and even a serial killer who would need to kill regularly in order to avoid sanity loss.

I also remember him saying that he wasn't interested in making the backgrounds "balanced." He just wanted to make them interesting and unique, and some would definitely be harder than others to play. I thought this was interesting.

-writing was very good. Better than Vince's. The game would have been very text-heavy as well from early impressions.

-a small number of skills, but various sub-specialties being nested within skills as "traits" that could be bought when you reached a certain level in that skill. I thought that was interesting too.

Anyway, it looks like lot of these elements are going to be present in Stygian, in particular the sanity and background ideas, which seem to be copied almost wholesale from Cyclopean. And Scott's writing on it. So in the way the game is sort of happening. Just not the way that it originally seemed.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Cool.

I don't remember if it was said before, but will it be possible for the PC to be a mutant?

I would like to know this too, since it would be cool to have, similar to Lionheart, people discriminating against PC who is mutant.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyway, it looks like lot of these elements are going to be present in Stygian, in particular the sanity and background ideas, which seem to be copied almost wholesale from Cyclopean. And Scott's writing on it. So in the way the game is sort of happening. Just not the way that it originally seemed.

My memory may fail me, but I believe these ideas have more or less their origin in the Chaosium pnp CoC. Sanity check-loss mechanism definitely, and background is more or less the same as the occupation of your pc (private eye, scientist, teacher etc.).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Space Christians :roll:
Would you have preferred Space Jews?
I wonder why game haven't them.
It is obviously that they doesnt' miss the chance to get rich on absolutely new palnet. They also can act as destructive power, hunger for power and money as usual (although the Ship is a fragile ecosystem it shouldn't be pulled toward "progress" beacause it is progress in itself, there should be balance. Or not - slavery all the way, hey-ya!).

Mustawd

Space atheists would have been cool, never saw those before.

Dude..don't even..

latest

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I didn't followed updates, so I hope there is some antagonist, or antagonistic force in game anyway.
Something should drive the conflict.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Depends entirely on the point of view, doesn't it? Anyway, it will be your character's actions that will drive the conflict one way or another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom