Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bastard Bonds, a mature fast-paced tactical RPG, now available on Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bastard Bonds; Bigfingers

Bastard Bonds is a turn-based tactical RPG by indie developer Bigfingers. Originally released on the developer's website back in April, it became known to the Codex shortly afterwards and was well-received for its interesting-looking gameplay and gorgeous (or should I say, fabulous) pixel art. So it wasn't surprising that it was quickly greenlit for release on Steam, where it finally became available this morning. A review at GamesNosh describes Bastard Bonds as "a mature game for mature gamers". Perhaps you'll understand when you watch the trailer:

Justice has failed. The criminal, the deranged, the inconvenient, and the uncomfortable; all are cast across the sea to the greedy island of Lukatt, whose shores let nothing slip free. Whether sinner or saint, you are one of these outcasts, and it is there, in a dark cell on the cold shore of that island, where you will finally cut fate's throat and take control of your own future.

Gather a band of the criminal and the forgotten, forgive their transgressions or ostracize them, use them as workhorses or nurture their trust, slaughter your enemies or spare them, release the conquered or press them into service. Find a way to escape the inescapable, or find a way to bend it to your will.

Bastard Bonds is a mature, fast-paced tactical RPG with high-end pixel art and in-depth character customization, including built-in sprite mod support. Featuring more than 200 in-game locations, more than 1000 character sprites, an all-original soundtrack, and 40+ hours of gameplay.

If you think you're man enough for it, Bastards Bonds is now available on Steam for $20, with a 10% launch discount until next week. There's also a free demo available on the Bigfingers website if you're unsure.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
this game is super, super gay.

It's a lot of fun.

There's a hypersexualized Paul Bunyan.

Vampire dicks (actually just dicks in general) ahoy.

Like 3/4ths of the characters are twinks or bears in loincloths.

So yeah, this game is super, super gay.

The exploration is great, there's stuff everywhere, the maps are very well-designed and interesting. There's this sort of Dark Souls-y feel where you bookmark areas to come back to later when you've progressed further or understand more about what's going on. What I like most is how it doesn't really explain anything, you've got to figure things out for yourself. I'm pretty far in the game but I've still got no idea what to do with those locked gates; without spoiling too much, there are other areas and characters where I haven't figured out what's expected of me. There are secrets and environmental mysteries everywhere and it's fun to wrack myself over them.

If you like games where the focus is on exploration, figuring out and doing things yourself, this is definitely a good game to check out. It's a lot of fun.

cboyardee2.gif

Mustawd

I thought there was some strong homoeroticism going on here.

So many burly guys and furries with their shirts off. Completely unnecessary. In fact, it's dangerous. They can catch cold if they're not careful.

EDIT: Also, at 1:13...is there no turn function? It already looks goofy without a walk cycle. But no walk cycle and going directly backwards? Looks rather strange.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Will be checking this out soon, it looks nice. I'm glad we're getting these neat indie SRPGs lately!

gaussgunner

Arcane
This game looks awesome by fat pixel standards.
Interesting character classes.
Has anyone tried playing as a Rapist or Bugger? What's the difference?
Is there a straight mode?

ikarinokami

Augur
the standards for "gorgeous" have really fallen, or maybe it's just an indie glasses thing

ikarinokami

Augur
trine is gorgeous.
transistor is beautiful
metal slug is fantastic

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
This game looks awesome by fat pixel standards.
Interesting character classes.
Has anyone tried playing as a Rapist or Bugger? What's the difference?
Is there a straight mode?

Rape gives you a different starting companion. A few other crimes such as Malediction and Necromancy also have unique starting companions.

Crime also mechanically impacts on your starting character trait. I'm not sure of any future effects/possible reactivity as I only had time to play a few hours of the demo.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
trine is gorgeous.
transistor is beautiful
metal slug is fantastic

Concerning the first two... Apples and oranges, really. They are in a completely different visual style, no matter how good they are.

Metal Slug is indeed fantastic. It's funny (to say the least) that most games that attempt to be in the "pixel art" style always seek to emulate games with the lowest possible resolution. But, to be honest, I wouldn't say that this is the case of Bastard Bonds. The thing is, Metal Slug is basically the reference in this style, it's on a league of its own. I'd say it's almost unfair to compare any other game to it.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks interesting, any codexer impressions?
Yeah, you should skim that whole thread, Kem0sabe, if you're interested.

My quick impressions: simple but novel and engaging gameplay, not as gay as everyone says, fun to play, no story whatsoever. It gets samey pretty fast and you are given literally no motivation to explore other than "there are places you haven't been". After the jailbreak, no one comes after you, and you can quickly establish a completely secure and self-sustaining stronghold where you can live happily ever after. I had a few great hours with it and then got bored when there was no reason to keep playing besides mole popping.

gaussgunner

Arcane
My quick impressions: simple but novel and engaging gameplay, not as gay as everyone says, fun to play, no story whatsoever.
Truth. The gay demon with Bubba and his (trans)woman on leashes is probably the worst part. I haven't noticed the supposed sex and nudity, at least not in the demo. Maybe that says something about my own work, heh.

This is one of the least bad games I've seen in a long time. Fun, fast-paced, not overly complex like most crpgs, not too dumbed down, no walls of text, no story.... it's practically the perfect RPG... except for the retarded AI. That is as bad as everyone says.

gaussgunner

Arcane
What's wrong with the AI?
It's bare bones zombie AI. Enemies always attack your nearest character, not the most vulnerable, most dangerous to them, or anything intelligent like that. They don't take cover and wait for you to attack. You certainly don't need to worry about them flanking you. Just move your tank up front and defend, defend, defend while your casters attack from complete safety. Tactics don't matter; might as well be a JRPG.

I hope captaingerbear spends a few days fleshing out the AI. I assume he thinks it's too hard, but I'm sure he could figure something out. It would make a huge difference.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom