Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion sysreqs revealed

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

The <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_faq.htm>Oblivion FAQ</a> on the Bethesda Softworks website has been updated with information on the game's system requirements for PCs (the Xbox 360 requirements are just "An Xbox 360 and a low IQ"). Unsurprisingly, they're very high.<blockquote>Recommended:
<br>
<br>
* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
<br>
* 1 GB System RAM
<br>
* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card
<br>
<br>
Minimum System Requirements:
<br>
<br>
* Windows XP
<br>
* 512MB System RAM
<br>
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
<br>
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
<br>
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
<br>
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
<br>
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
<br>
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
<br>
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
<br>
* Keyboard, Mouse
<br>
</blockquote>Seems to me like it would have been easier to just make a less fancy looking game and then suggest players shine a flashlight at their screens to create the awesome light bloom effect.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover</A>

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
WOW! My system BARELY meets the recommended and I thought it was a pretty good system. I wonder if the recommended is to have all the settings maxed out, or will I have to turn off the shadows.

DIPthong

Novice
OMG can I run Oblibion?

AMD64 3700+ (oc'd to 2.42 GhZ)
2Gb RAM
BFG 7800 GTX OC

/Internet bragging is stupid.

deus

Liturgist
I miss the days when "minimum" meant more than "boot into a pretty slideshow".

Halenthal

Liturgist
Damn. I KNEW I should've held out and got a 6800GT instead of the 6600GT. Ah well, as long as my rig runs HoMM5, I don't give a rat's ass about Obvlivious, soil erosion or not.

match000

Novice
I too am annoyed by the constant taking-away of good features.

But the OP complained about taking away lots of shadows, and now complains about the high sys reqs and fancy graphics. Inconsistency?

gromit

Arcane
WTF, I need a keyboard? God damn devs are in cahoots with the hardware manufacturers once again.

On a more serious note, I pass the recommended specs, except for just barely meeting the reqs with a 128mb 9800 pro. Not a lot of wiggle room in the video-card department, your choice of two generations, the big difference being the shader model 3.

Fable is one example of really dropping the ball on backwards shader support; it was, fittingly enough, the shadows that most obviously turned into ass without model 3, although they certainly could have done a better job (those were some big, chunky pixels in them there shadows, fellas.) Hopefully Beth doesn't pull the same trick with some feature, coding a sloppy-as-shit version for model 2. When eye-candy features become detrimental to the appearance of a game, you know you've done something very poorly.

dettociao

Novice
damn. damn damn.

Those are much higher than I expected. I definetly thought a 6600GT would be around the recommended, not in the dreaded 'minimum' category.

-N

Edit:

Just noticed that the NVIDIA GeForce FX series is supported. That's ridiculous. My roomate has an FX5500 AGP 4x 128mb Direct X 9.0 compatible card (he's obviously not a gamer), and he absolutely cannot run Doom 3 or HL2. If he can't run those, why in god's name do they think he'll be able to run Oblivion in any respectable way (i.e. draw distance set at more than 5 feet). Those specs are obscene. Think about it... alot of Dell machines (I know, I know) don't meet the minimum sys reqs.

Edit 2:

Here's a useful chart in comparing Intel/AMD performance in the relevant aspects for gaming. Although there are others...

http://www.passmark.com/cpureview/

Here's a useful chart in comparing features of graphics cards (and estimating your performance hit, etc). I know most users here know this shite, but I found it useful in building a recent system so I thought I'd post it. I know that tech specs don't always translate to real-world gains, but it's useful.

http://techreport.com/etc/comparo/graphics/

Dhruin

Liturgist
The 6600GT is definitely supported (it's a branch off the 6800 series). kathode confirmed this and the link is in the newsbit comments at RPGDot but I'm too tired to get it. You can stop worrying.

Slylandro

Scholar
My system barely meets the recommended requirements but I'm probably not going to get the game until a long time after it's been released anyway. By then my comp will probably be several terahertz and have like 4 gigs of ram or something and Oblivion will be a common sight in bargain bins. Until then I'll let the rest of you beta-test Oblivion for me. :lol:

ExMonk

Scholar
Spazmo said:
The <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/oblivion_faq.htm>Oblivion FAQ</a> on the Bethesda Softworks website has been updated with information on the game's system requirements for PCs (the Xbox 360 requirements are just "An Xbox 360 and a low IQ"). Unsurprisingly, they're very high.<blockquote>Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 1 GB System RAM
* ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
* 512MB System RAM
* 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
* 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
* and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
* 8x DVD-ROM drive
* 4.6 GB free hard disk space
* DirectX 9.0c (included)
* DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
* Keyboard, Mouse
</blockquote>Seems to me like it would have been easier to just make a less fancy looking game and then suggest players shine a flashlight at their screens to create the awesome light bloom effect.
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover</A>
Stop your whining.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ExMonk said:
Chefe said:
I can't run Oblivion. :(
That is depressing. I find it much, much more depressing that your system meets minimum requirements to post on this forum. :cry:
What happened to "I'm a nice guy now"?

Chefe

Erudite
He's trying so hard to fit in, just let him have this moment.

Data4

Arcane
In a related note, according to the March PC Gamer, it's slated for a February release.

You may begin your "IF THE DEVS DON'T SAY IT, IT AIN'T SO!!!" shouting down now.

-D4

ExMonk

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
ExMonk said:
Chefe said:
I can't run Oblivion. :(
That is depressing. I find it much, much more depressing that your system meets minimum requirements to post on this forum. :cry:
What happened to "I'm a nice guy now"?
What wasn't nice about that? Do I have to put a "wink" smiley in every time I'm being humerous? I thought you were more perceptive than that.

ExMonk

Scholar
Chefe said:
He's trying so hard to fit in, just let him have this moment.
You've figured me out! Among my many duties in life, it is really my greatest ambition to fit in here on the codex.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
ExMonk said:
Do I have to put a "wink" smiley in every time I'm being humerous? I thought you were more perceptive than that.
Same applies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom