Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Copper Dreams Kickstarter Campaign is Live

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Copper Dreams; Whalenought Studios

The Kickstarter campaign for Copper Dreams, the next RPG from Serpent in the Staglands developers Whalenought Studios, is now live. Joe and Hannah have put together a very impressive pitch explaining every aspect of the game: the 80s-style offworld cyberpunk setting, the focus on verticality and movement in an isometric environment, the weapons and cybernetic equipment, the complex implementation of stealth and infiltration, the unique asynchronous turn-based combat system, and the previously described health and resting mechanics. Here's the pitch video, which includes some cool-looking alpha gameplay footage, and an overview:

We’re so excited to be back on Kickstarter with our new game, Copper Dreams! It's an isometric, party-based, turn-based, pen-and-paper-inspired game in a dystopian cyberpunk setting. Think an isometric Escape from New York, or Deus Ex.

As an Agent of Asset Inquiries that syndicates hire to gather items, intel and citizens of value, you'll often be put through sensitive situations not to win but to minimize your level of failure and tackle conflicts with clever stealth (or lots of bullets).

Our previous successful Kickstarter, Serpent in the Staglands, featured a no-handholding philosophy, an open world, and challenging puzzles. We got a lot of great feedback and learned a lot from the experience, and have moved forward with a new RPG we think you'll love with even more systems and mechanics to support this gameplay style.

Copper Dreams emphasizes the adventures that happen between quests and narrative events, which can be just as fun, unexpected and dangerous. To enable this, the player will traverse a cyberpunk world while scaling buildings, taking part in turn-based combat between humans, robots and many other types of foes, all while managing their character’s health through a detailed system of physical ailments.

Players have many tools to help them succeed in their missions. The player can engage in espionage gathering, modifying and upgrading weapons and disabling or killing enemies by targeting specific body parts. To do this justice we've designed a ruleset from the ground up we call the Burning Candle to work with all these mechanics.

You can secure a copy of Copper Dreams for just $15, with beta access for $25 and alpha for $35. The campaign's funding goal is $40,000, with stretch goals for an enhanced soundtrack and voice acting going up to $60,000. The game is scheduled to be released on March 2017. Let's hope they make it - Kickstarter isn't what it used to be.

P.S. Don't forget to vote for Copper Dreams on Steam Greenlight!

Ninjerk

Arcane
They could had put a tier with the "Serpent in Staglands" or as an addon.

Not a bad idea Whalenought_Joe
IMO run a sale in the first week so people have time to sample their first offering and convert some of those buyers towards the end of the campaign.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, if it's included in a pledge tier, they lose an opportunity to convert skeptics they would have otherwise acquired with a sale (they wouldn't get SitS until the project funds).

shadow9d9

Learned
The interface of SitS was such a nightmare. Not worth it. This game also looks ridiculously ugly... Still backed it because it is turn based...

Mustawd

Still backed it because it is turn based...

:incline:

This game also looks ridiculously ugly...

Resident Evil 1
2437055-resident-evil-pic.jpg

Vagrant Stroy
playstation-56892-31406975344.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 1
maxresdefault.jpg

latest

:hmmm:

EDIT: Those were pre-alpha screen shots, which are going for Metal Gear Solid/Vagrant Story aesthetics. I think they'll look a lot better after production is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:

kazgar

Arcane
No codex friendly fundraising tier! What's the point of pledging if we can't fuck it up with our stupid in-jokes?

:decline:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Woo-hoo!
You are now an official backer of Copper Dreams.

If this project is successfully funded, the creator will send you a survey to collect information needed to deliver your reward.

Your pledge

$255.00 Edit
► Boxed Collector's Edition with physical game

* Everything in previous tiers

* Boxed Collector's Edition containing physical items:
1.Custom usb-drive insert model with the 1st edition of the game on it as well as digital key(s)
2. Figurine of your choice
3. Physical version of Syndicate Handbook
4. Code Wheel
5. Hand drawn secret Building map
4. Status/Ailments reference fold-out card

* Submit a photo of your face to be used on an NPC or companion. Dress it up!

* Copper Face forum badge backer tier in forum + credits

Maybe I'll throw some into the Codex fundraiser if when this gets funded. Love me those Collector's boxes!! And their manual from SitS was really nice so definitely looking forward to this one!!

imweasel

These guys remind me of the Sierra founders for some reason.

Anyway, it looks great and I love the setting (80's SciFi FTW). BACKED!

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They're the indie darlings of the kodex whether they wanted to be or not. Gotta support them. :takemymoney:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oooooooooh. Turn-based with simultaneous resolution, something like Laser Squad Nemesis. Very, very tasty.

The 3D traversal looks really cool too. I was expecting something much flatter, like SITS, Underrail, Fallout, etc.

I already enjoy that the save system is tied to cell signal level.

I'm a little nervous about the time and injury system. If I take a serious wound, will I end up just reloading a save instead of going to the hospital for too long and failing the mission as a result? Hopefully that cell signal is pretty weak most of the time.

Jinn

Arcane
Hell fucking yes. Backed so hard.

(ps - cutest development team of all time)

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'm a little nervous about the time and injury system. If I take a serious wound, will I end up just reloading a save instead of going to the hospital for too long and failing the mission as a result? Hopefully that cell signal is pretty weak most of the time.

Depending on the mission you may be able to just sneak by enemies instead of fighting. From what I understand it may be difficult going for the waste everyone approach so a combo of stealth and combat may be required to successfully complete some missions. Also from what I understand you may be able to use environmental interactions+skills to lessen the number of opponents in a level.

Won't know until I playtest an actual in-game level myself but those are some of the gameplay goals as far as I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom