Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Dev Diary #2: The Basic Character System

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

New information at last! In a new Tyranny dev diary update, Brian Heins lays out the basics of the game's character system - skills, attributes, progression, talents. There are even a couple of screenshots of the character screen UI. Here's the gist of it:

Attributes

Tyranny uses six core attributes to define characters. These are:
  • Might – your character’s physical strength and attack power.
  • Finesse – your character’s physical precision.
  • Quickness – your character’s speed and reaction times.
  • Vitality – physical health and force of personality.
  • Wits – intelligence and arcane potential.
  • Resolve – ability to endure physical and mental challenges.
Attributes also determine the base values of skills. Each skill has a primary and a secondary attribute that contribute towards the skill’s rank. Primary attributes increase the skill by 1.5x the Attribute value, while secondary attributes increase the skill by 0.5x. The One-Handed Weapons skill, for example, uses Might as its primary and Finesse as its secondary. A character with 15 Might and 10 Finesse would have a base One-Handed Weapons skill of 28 ( 15 Might * 1.5 + 10 Finesse * 0.5 ).

Attributes also contribute towards secondary statistics, such as the Endurance, Will, and Arcane resistances.

Progression

I wanted skills to increase as you use them, rather than spending skill points at level up. This meant a fundamental change to how character progression worked. In Eternity, characters gain experience as they complete quests and objectives. Individual combat encounters or conversations had no effect on level, unless they advanced a quest.

With the decision to increase skills by use, I needed skill gains to contribute towards character level. Otherwise you could theoretically have a character with a hundred ranks in a skill, but still technically considered ‘level 1’. So, in Tyranny as you use skills they gain experience. When they gain enough experience, they increase their skill rank. When a skill increases in rank, your character gains experience towards their next level.

A benefit of this is that it makes even optional combat encounters rewarding for the player. This change could have made conversations less rewarding, as players would need to fight in order to level up their characters. To resolve this, we added functionality to allow players to level up their skills in conversations. Player choices that are gated by skill requirements will add experience to those skills when they are used. Additionally, if you use a skill to intimidate an encounter into fleeing, we grant skill experience to the party equivalent to what you would gain if you fought them. It can’t be exact, as there are too many decisions that players can make during combat to replicate it exactly.

So, your characters gain experience as their skills increase in rank – whether it’s through combat, conversations, or interacting with objects in the world. You also gain some experience for completing quests and objectives, though it’s a smaller portion of your overall experience than it was in Eternity.

As your party members increase in level, they can improve their Attribute scores and purchase new Talents from Talent Trees. Your character has 6 distinct trees to purchase talents from, while your companions have their own unique trees.
I'd call it a fairly typical "newschool" Elder Scrolls-like system, although the description of the Vitality attribute might raise a few eyebrows. What's missing is a list of all of the game's skills - it doesn't look like the character in the screenshot has access to all of them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Stat system looks p. terrible. One stat just to reduce cooldowns? Another just to resist abilities? You could prune half of those.

Stats deciding base skill rank is also awful design.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks like she's got a qt flower in her hair in the big portrait.

They should remove attribute icons and use words instead (or use both).

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Also about the whole level your skills to get actual level ups...I hope it's proportional so you aren't forced to grind low skills to get fast level up.

Stats deciding base skill rank is also awful design.

Hah, I guess Wasteland 2 wasn't all bad. What in particular bothers you about this fairly common paradigm?
Because it leads to pigeon holing. I find it extra bad in a combat-focused game because you already have secondary stats that scale from those primary stats. Even worse in this case of increase-by-use, you can't just dump a lot of points on a skill to compensate immediately.

Wasteland 2's skill system has other share of problems, though also p. common for CRPGs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because it leads to pigeon holing. I find it extra bad in a combat-focused game because you already have secondary stats that scale from those primary stats.

Well, I think oftentimes, if the primary attributes don't have that determining role over the skills, one begins to question what exactly is so "primary" about them. They become like a redundant extra set of skills (except harder to increase throughout the game) and from there the route to cutting them out entirely like in Skyrim is short. (Maybe that's the right thing to do.)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Because it leads to pigeon holing. I find it extra bad in a combat-focused game because you already have secondary stats that scale from those primary stats.
Well, I think oftentimes, if the primary attributes don't have that determining role over the skills, one begins to question what exactly is so "primary" about them. They become like a redundant extra set of skills (except harder to increase throughout the game) and from there the route to cutting them out entirely like in Skyrim is short. (Maybe that's the right thing to do.)
That depends on the game's approach. I guess in Skyrim it made sense, but TES systems have always been somewhat cosmetic.

Tao

Savant
And here i was having hope for this... Why do they need to keep that awfull attribute system?

So far people were right: this seems like a reskined PoE.

Now that gameplay wise is out of the window, let's hope for the story at least is good

Cool. So people can level dodge and parry to the max in the first encounter?
Another important question: can you heal enemies or maybe game have enemies with high hp regen/selfheal?

I think we already seen all possible exploits of such system.
:lol:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Cool. So people can level dodge and parry to the max in the first encounter?
Another important question: can you heal enemies or maybe game have enemies with high hp regen/selfheal?

I think we already seen all possible exploits of such system.
:lol:
increasing dodge and parry is gonna be fun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
And here i was having hope for this... Why do they need to keep that awfull attribute system?

Now that gameplay wise is out of the window, let's hope for the story at least is good
The attribute systems aren't similar at all.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

The attribute systems aren't similar at all.
I was gonna say might is the same but they differentiate between "ability" and "spell".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I was gonna say might is the same but they differentiate between "ability" and "spell".

Yeah, and "Wits" affects Spell Damage.

I guess there are some similarities, like Quickness being a pretty obvious equivalent of PoE's Dexterity stat (but affecting cooldowns rather than overall speed - does that mean the game has fixed round lengths? AwesomeButton will be pleased.)

Other differences - one stat for each defense score ("Endurance Defense", "Will Defense", "Magic Defense" - no Reflex?) and another one that affects all three, rather than the defenses being spread out to all six stats. No Interrupt/Concentration subsystem. Vitality affecting "Bonus Health per Level", which is a bit weird (what happens if you boost it right before levelling up?). And there's a stat for reducing "Affliction Duration" - PoE doesn't have anything like that (which likely means that there's no Miss/Graze/Hit/Crit system for status effects in this game).

Fairfax

Arcane
The old attribute names have become too mainstream, it would seem.

force of personality.
slab-cropped-jouster-4012-frymeme.png

I wanted skills to increase as you use them
:hearnoevil:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Also there's no secondary stat to increase AoE radius like in PoE.

And no stat that increases spell duration either. That stands out, since there is a stat for reducing the duration of spells cast on you.

The description of Finesse seems to say that its Accuracy bonus is for physical attacks only. So it looks like the rule is that you can increase the damage of your spells, but not their accuracy or duration?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
although the description of the Vitality attribute might raise a few eyebrows

This is typical Sawyerism: since charisma is supposedly 'useless', let's club it together with a more useful (in combat) attribute, like constitution. Sawyer doesn't work on this game, but it is the same thinking.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
although the description of the Vitality attribute might raise a few eyebrows

This is typical Sawyerism: since charisma is supposedly 'useless', let's club it together with a more useful (in combat) attribute, like constitution. Sawyer doesn't work on this game, but it is the same thinking.

Hmm well, they've also made Vitality improve your Will Defense, so there is an equivalent combat effect for the stat's "force of personality" aspect. It's not just "Constitution in combat, Charisma outside of combat".

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I would do a similar thing if I wrote a br00tal low-tech RPG. Social primary stats are hard to justify in that context, it's not "sawyerism".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom