Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Underworld Ascendant Pre-Alpha Prototype Gameplay Footage at IGN

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Nate Wells; OtherSide Entertainment; Paul Neurath; Tim Stellmach; Underworld Ascendant; Warren Spector

IGN have posted their exclusive Underworld Ascendant pre-alpha prototype gameplay footage. In the nine minute video, the player character wanders around the lava-filled ruins seen in recent screenshots, fights skeletons and interacts with the environment, while art director Nate Wells and lead designer Tim Stellmach provide commentary.

There's also a shorter video featuring Paul Neurath and Warren Spector. It's not quite the promotional blitz I was expecting after Monday's update (which promised interviews with the developers, not just sound bytes), but maybe there'll be more later.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is also a longer, 9-minute video there that's more substantial:

Looks good. Some of the gameplay is still rudimentary (the AI combat and reaction system obviously needs polish), but the visuals are fairly nice for what they are trying to do, there seem to be all sorts of alternate routes to try, and it seems Thief-style crate stacking is back.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Melan Yeah, the article mentioned another video with Nate Wells but linked to the same one. I guess they fixed it.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
The graphics look better in motion than they do in screenshots. Everything else looks like it has a lot of work ahead though.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope we can turn off the "magical bubbles" that seems to me just as bad as the ugly yellow highlights in DE:HR.

All of that highlighting effect stuff is WIP: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=1150.msg18356#msg18356
The highlighting is, yes WIP, but it's the floating bubbles over important items (runes, gold bars, etc.) that I hope they do away with... and yes, I will post the same thing on their forum.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks crap, the combat is slow and clumsy, also the graphics are too cartoony.

imho this looks like a game designed for a release on phones and tablets, and 100% sure on ps4.

I'm glad I skipped this kickstarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
imho this looks like a game designed for a release on phones and tablets, and 100% sure on ps4.

The level of precision required for manipulating environments and using those runic spells doesn't seem that appropriate for non-PC platforms.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I'm glad I skipped this kickstarter.
This +1.

I am hoping this game gets much improvements before release, what they got now will sell like crap.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

The level of precision required for manipulating environments and using those runic spells doesn't seem that appropriate for non-PC platforms.

As long as the puzzles dont require complex player movement and combat at the same time of environment manipulation, I don't see the problem of doing that on a touchscreen. There are already games that do that.

And the speed and agility of combat is clearly not designed with a PC on mind as exclusive platform.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
As long as the puzzles dont require complex player movement

Take a look at Nekot-The-Brave's videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/HaleseenB

And the speed and agility of combat is clearly not designed with a PC on mind as exclusive platform.

Because this is an RPG and not a pure action game, they want to make the combat slower, but tactical: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10172

I suspect most backers would prefer that (shout out to mindx2). Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be easy, eg: https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=971.msg17390#msg17390

*shrug* The game could end up on consoles someday, but these guys don't have anywhere near the resources to think about multiplatform development at this stage.

Last edited:

Mustawd

imho this looks like a game that's still unfinished and in need of polish. I'll reserve judgment for the final product like a rational human being would do.

FTFY. Christ, people here have zero concept to how projects, not just video games, work.

Most stuff in the developing stages, even at 75%, tends to look like a hot mess until it comes together.

Mustawd

We shall see. Didn't Infinitron post a GIF of the old Thief development? That shit looked atrocious in development. Much much worse than this on a relative scale.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The main concern with Underworld Ascendant isn't the state of the game, but how much longer they can afford to work on it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The main concern with Underworld Ascendant isn't the state of the game, but how much longer they can afford to work on it.

Have I missed something that indicates they're off their timeline?

Not in particular. I mean, they originally intended to release this pre-alpha in Q1, but that was always unrealistic. It's just that the Kickstarter wasn't very successful, so we're not sure how long their money is going to last.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
We shall see. Didn't Infinitron post a GIF of the old Thief development? That shit looked atrocious in development. Much much worse than this on a relative scale.
It didn't look like the Thief we got, but it looked good, and looked interesting when it was just an odd FPS.

Not that UW:A looks bad by any means. Looks more polished than what I'd expect from a fairly early iteration.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom