Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Banner Saga 2 Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stoic Studio; The Banner Saga 2

The original Banner Saga was released back in January 2014, a happy month that also witnessed the near-simultaneous releases of Blackguards and Might & Magic X. Not so for its sequel, The Banner Saga 2, which arrives today during what appears to be a minor RPG drought until the major releases start kicking off later this year. It's a direct sequel in the fullest sense of the word - an imported save will allow you to continue your adventures with the same characters, with the same stats and even the same inventory items. As Bubbles explained in our belated review of the original title, the Banner Saga formula is a quirky one that's not for everybody, but what it lacks in mass appeal it more than makes up for in good PR. The sequel has received an impressive amount of release day reviews:
As you can see, the game is reviewing quite well, with the improved combat being singled out for praise, although most of the reviews seem to agree that it hasn't completely ironed out all of the original title's idiosyncratic quirks. For good or ill, it's still The Banner Saga. It's available now on Steam for $20.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i liked the first one a bit, but it got too much unwarranted praise.
it was beautiful, story was good but it was way too short, linear and the combat was just ok.

that beeing said, i am keeping an eye on the second one and hope it will fix the issues of Banner Sage 1

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I like choice and consequences, but BS1 had MASSIVE unforeseen consequences due to seemingly inconsequential choices. Not that it matters as most I never even realized I was making until I was having a hard time in a fight and realized I missed out on a really power character just due to some dialgue choice I'd picked. Still, a lot of Banner Saga's choices never seemed compelling to me just because the consequences were often so unpredictable and seemingly mismatched with what you were deciding.

Like, trying to rescue a cart of food could lead to a tiny bit more food or one of your most powerful characters dying permenantly, depending on what you decided to do and, if I remember, the choices that led to both outcomes seemed neither more nor less dangerous than the other.

Banner Saga isn't a game of Choice and Consequences. It's a game of choice and random shit happening.

Still liked it, though, and will play BS2.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Using words such an 'idiosyncratic' not ironically, and citing review scores in news post?

Someone must have hacked Infinitron's account! Quick, ban him before he does more damage!

---

As for the game, I am waiting for Humble Bundle appearance, with included soundtrack, because I know music is one thing that will not disappoint in this game. The other one is visuals. Not so sure about the rest.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Why are Kotaku and RPS even in there, I need people to tell me shit in numbers.

Yeah, there's two more without numbers but whatever.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't think Stanley Woo has anything to do with Beamdog. The founders are former TOR developers, though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I remember Bryce going full retard on the dev who was posting here. Not the Codex's finest hour.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
how long is the game this time? the first one is around 10 hours for me, and i never escaped combat. it's just too linear and short for full price.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
how long is the game this time? the first one is around 10 hours for me, and i never escaped combat. it's just too linear and short for full price.

Sorry you folks feel that way, but we've lowered the price point (19.99 vs 24.99) for Banner Saga 2 and we've done our best to stick to the similiar length of gameplay (average to beat the game was around 11 hours). We think that makes up for a about a $1 per hour of gameplay, and there's even more value if you want to play through a 2nd time to try and find more characters, events, items or try for a different ending or achievements.

steamcommunity.com/app/281640/discussions/0/458604254455570065/#c392184522702695261

Archibald

Arcane
I think dollar per hour ration is becoming somewhat relevant when we have bunch of not-games that last for 2 hours going for 15$.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Am I the only one who hated the 2-caravan thing? It fucking rapes narrative continuity, splitting it right in half. Can't count the number of times I had to think and try to remember what the other caravan was up to after resuming control of it. And all this on top of an already weak premise and story. Also, why humanize the fucking dredge? They're portrayed as these merciless monsters in the prequel, and now it turns out they're... not? What's the point? You're just further watering down your premise. And fuck whoever thought that merging renown into a universal system that's used to purchase EVERYTHING was a good idea!

I had high hopes for the sequel. I'd hoped they would've added a full paper doll, expanded combat with a Fallout-esque TB action point system, and would do away with the alternating caravan bullshit. Maybe even add a bit of non-linearity by allowing us to explore multiple areas on the map, and work on the caravan a bit by purchasing upgrades for it with gold or something. But no, not happening. Pity though, the game looks amazing, and some minor tweaks to the premise and gameplay would've made it a solid 8/10. As it stands, it's a low 6, at best.

God damn cock-teasing bastards.

:baka:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom