Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 4

It's the Year of Bethesda here at the RPG Codex, and we continue our coverage of the most successful RPG developer of all time with an exclusive look at their latest game, Fallout 4. It's written by one of my favourite front page writers, and he has a lot of insightful things to say about the game:

...it's perfectly logical that a decent, functional dialogue system would allow for a variable number of possible dialogue choices. That's how most RPGs have implemented their dialogues, and that's a perfectly sensible way to do it. Unfortunately, Bethesda chose a different path in Fallout 4 – here, you are always presented with exactly four dialogue options, no matter what situation you are in. This kind of strict formal requirement straightjackets the entire dialogue system; every single conversation node has been twisted into a neat “pick one out of four” pattern. Like so many things about Fallout 4, it's completely unclear to me why the designers have made this choice; maybe it's because controllers have four primary action buttons. Whatever the reasoning, the end result is a broken and unnatural dialogue system that is bloated with pointless choices.

...As it is, I got the feeling that Bethesda were more concerned with making the game look fun and visceral and exciting and “Whoa!” instead of actually doing the hard work of making it play that way.

...Intelligence gives 3% bonus experience per level and reduces the number of possible solutions shown in the hacking minigame. And that's it. That's what being intelligent means in the sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. Why couldn't they just remove the damn stat altogether? To be perfectly fair, Intelligence is also used for the three only (!) proper stat checks that I found in the entire game world, but that's not exactly a reason to rejoice and praise the Incline.

...It's no hyperbole to say that the writers at Bethesda are some of the worst storytellers in the AAA gaming segment. They are fatally attached to the idea of making a cartoon world full of cartoon characters living through Very Serious Stories. Unfortunately, this combination of narrative elements clashes rather badly, and results in a bunch of utterly idiotic stories that positively dare the player to find any sort of intelligent design behind them.

...And here's my analysis: Jesus Christ, are you fucking kidding me?​

Yes, but did he like the game?! Follow this MUST CLICK link to find out: 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

ArchAngel

Arcane
So any chance we get a Codex's review of Serpents in the Staglands or Underrail.. I am ashamed to be a member atm.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
So any chance we get a Codex's review of Serpents in the Staglands or Underrail.. I am ashamed to be a member atm.

None of the hundreds of Codexers who voted for Underrail as the 2015 GOTY have submitted a review. If you're ashamed of this situation, then you, personally, have the power to change it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Tuluse is responsible for the SitS review, he's just taking his sweet time.

As for Underrail, everyone who's eloquent enough to write a review either hates it (e.g roxor) or doesn't care (e.g bubbles).

Fairfax

Arcane
Fallout 4 is a serious game full of caricatures; it's a comedy game without any funny parts; it's a 100+ hour single player shooter; it's a treadmill of linear fetch and kill quests coupled with atrocious writing. It's a shallow and simplistic game that struggles to create an illusion of depth and variety. It is a lazy, nonsensical, and fundamentally dumb piece of design that offers nothing of interest to the discerning cRPG player. I regret every minute I wasted playing this game. There is nothing more to say.

Well said.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Tuluse is responsible for the SitS review, he's just taking his sweet time.

As for Underrail, everyone who's eloquent enough to write a review either hates it (e.g roxor) or doesn't care (e.g bubbles).

There's also Crooked Bee, who's played both SitS and Underrail, liked both of them, but has absolutely zero time to write anything in the forseeable future.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
wow didn't notice I was posting on a Fallout 4 review thread. What a time to be alive.

Wait you didn't even use any mods. Nobody cares about Bethesda games in their vanilla state.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Wait you didn't even use any mods. Nobody cares about Bethesda games in their vanilla state.

Well, the toolkit hasn't been released yet and the available mods are highly limited. I stacked up every Pip-Boy improvement mod I could find halfway through my playthrough (you can still see some [armor] item tags in one of the UI screenshots I was too lazy to re-do with vanilla), but they did very little to redeem the terrible vanilla UI.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
3RSom.gif

Weasel
Looking forward to reading another Bubble review, and of such a juicy target... but just checked out the length and...

:shredder:

Anyway, thanks for the effort, should keep me busy for a week or so. :salute:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Well, the toolkit hasn't been released yet and the available mods are highly limited. I stacked up every Pip-Boy improvement mod I could find halfway through my playthrough (you can still see some [armor] item tags in one of the UI screenshots I was too lazy to re-do with vanilla), but they did very little to redeem the terrible vanilla UI.
Well thanks anyway for confirming the narrative and mechanics of a Bethesda game are shit, I was on the fence before the review.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Testing Fallout 4 as a computer role playing game is like testing a rally car for formula one. What do you expect?

Fallout 4 is an open world sandbox adventure with some CRPG and shooter elements, not a full fledged CRPG.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Testing Fallout 4 as a computer role playing game is like testing a rally car for formula one. What do you expect?

Fallout 4 is an open world sandbox adventure with some CRPG and shooter elements, not a full fledged CRPG.
It's a sandbox for sex mods.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Which games would you compare it to? New Vegas? Witcher 3? DA:I? Minecraft?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom