Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Banner Saga 2 Launch Trailer + Preview at Game Informer

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stoic Studio; The Banner Saga 2

Stoic Studio have published the launch trailer for The Banner Saga 2, which is due for release in less than two weeks. It offers a quick look at the adventures players will face in the game's collapsing world, including snippets of its improved, more diverse combat scenarios:

Pre-release previews of the game have begun to appear across the web. Here's Game Informer's preview, which lists four reasons why The Banner Saga 2 is better than its predecessor. I'll quote the two that explain more about the improved combat:

3) Enter the horseborn
The Banner Saga 2’s journey will lead players south and introduce them to an entirely new race called the horseborn. Tribal, warring, and somewhat mysterious, the horseborn have a lifespan that is only half that of humans. These horseborn once lived among men and varl, but centuries ago they slaughtered all of the horses in order to free themselves from captivity. Now the horseborn feel ashamed of this and have fled south in self-exile.

Not only will players fight the horseborn, but they will be able to add a few to their own ranks. These speedy warriors are designed to roam the battlefield and control their enemies using their mobility. Unlike the bulky centaurs of Greek myth, these horse-people are small, surefooted Icelandic ponies crossed with bronze-age Celts. They are, therefore, only slightly stronger than a human, and can move about far more freely.

Male horseborn are great hit-and-run tacticians who can boost their attack depending on how many squares they travel beforehand – Stoic’s idea of a running head start. They can also move again after an attack to better position themselves for the next turn. Their Mule Kick knocks enemies back into other units and stuns the enemy in the process.

Meanwhile, female horseborn have a passive ability called Free Roam that allows them to move two extra tiles for each Willpower spent. Their javelins are tipped with poison that deals recurring damage, and they can use their spears to pin enemies in place, allowing them to better control the battlefield.

Whether fighting with them or against them, the horseborn push you to change up your battle tactics, and help create new strategies to work around the opposition.

4) Combat has evolved
Instead of tinkering with its balanced combat formula, Stoic has instead focused on improving combat in other ways. One of the biggest complaints the team heard after the release of the first game was that players felt like they were fighting the same enemies throughout the entire game.

It didn’t take me long to encounter some of these new beasts. A group of white, hound-like creatures called skulkers slowly sneaked onto the battlefield. These creatures aren’t hard to kill, but they can turn invisible and disappear from combat, so you never know when they are going to turn back up. In one battle, I encountered a group of human-like bog people who had trained bears to fight alongside them. Not only are bears heavy hitters who take a lot of damage, they can resurrect themselves once after you knock them down. The Banner Saga 2’s list of new enemies adds a lot of visual variety to the board, and forces you to approach each combat scenario a little differently.

Stoic’s list of combat tweaks is also fairly extensive. The studio has hand-crafted each battle, adding new victory conditions for some encounters. In the last game, a battle only ended once the player had beaten every enemy on the board. This time around, I encountered several battles that asked me to kill a certain unit or accomplish some other task that lined up with the narrative. Additionally, battles are now better integrated with the story, so heroes talk during combat, and some units will leave or enter the action in the middle of fight. A new training ground also lets heroes hone their skills at camp, allowing them to rank up faster.
There's also a 25 minute gameplay video at IGN, but beware the annoying hosts. The Banner Saga 2 is going to be at EGX Rezzed this week, so perhaps we'll see more of it soon.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
four reasons why The Banner Saga 2 is better than its sequel
I think you meant prequel, although prequel is actually something a little bit different.

Wikipedia said:
A prequel is a work that forms part of a back-story to the preceding work.

Sorry, I've been a bit ill recently. It's actually predecessor rather than prequel (there was no "preceding work" when BS1 was released)

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
And I'm waiting for the next gen race ... the bloodborne. Hihi. /l'll see myself out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So any LGBT content in this game that Internet can go beserk over?

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Great, the first one was in my 2014 favourite games. Glad to know that combat has been improved.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Combat is one thing but it wasn't bad in part 1 imo. On the other hand i'm really wondering if all the fake choices / fake party management outside of combat are zero real gameplay again or there is some substance to it. In the first part almost everything you did outside of combat was completely meaningless. Graphic style is still great (well it is more of the same so is to be expected).

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Combat is one thing but it wasn't bad in part 1 imo. On the other hand i'm really wondering if all the fake choices / fake party management outside of combat are zero real gameplay again or there is some substance to it. In the first part almost everything you did outside of combat was completely meaningless. Graphic style is still great (well it is more of the same so is to be expected).

That, fucking that. I want to see if there are fucking real choices now and more of those choices. I'm in this game mostly for a story, art and sountrack.

Ironmonk

Augur
Yeah, there was no reason to keep your caravan people alive. Hope that is changed.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, there was no reason to keep your caravan people alive. Hope that is changed.
Yeah, and having them all die did not even disable the caravan events, which still poped up as if you had a bunch of clanspeople around, so this aspect was completely broken.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, and having them all die did not even disable the caravan events, which still poped up as if you had a bunch of clanspeople around, so this aspect was completely broken.
Yes, I abused that. Kept choosing options that would kill more people in the caravan :D

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Looks exactly like the first game.

I watch this kind of game on youtube, there is usually no point playing them. It's basically an animation film with some turn based combat thrown in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom