Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Tyranny GDC 2016 Previews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Heins; Matthew Singh; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

The media embargo on Obsidian's recently announced RPG Tyranny has finally lapsed, and a bunch of sites have posted their impressions of the game from GDC:

I'll try to summarize the important points:
  • The game uses the Pillars of Eternity engine and is RTwP.
  • Combat seems more dynamic than Pilllars, with stuff like combo moves that can make companions shoot up in the air and fire arrows at the enemy.
  • Party size is four rather than six.
  • The character system is classless with improve-by-use progression, although there are still experience points and levels.
  • There's going to be some sort of spellcrafting system, but Obsidian aren't ready to talk about it yet.
  • The game will have a stronghold, which they also aren't ready to talk about yet.
  • It's a shorter game than Pillars, focused on choice & consequence and replayability. One site mentions a playtime of less than 20 hours (though I wouldn't take that as gospel).
  • Choice & consequence actually begins at character creation, with different initial world states depending on your choices in a CYOA-style character creation sequence.
  • The usual Obsidian faction reputation and companion approval mechanics are in and can grant you unique abilities, for both positive ("Favor") and negative ("Wrath") reputations.
  • The game world is called Terratus. The story is set in a Mediterranean-inspired region, during Terratus' equivalent of the late Bronze Age and early Iron Age.
Obsidian offered a gameplay demonstration set in a conquered village called Plainsgate - although it might also be rent in half and given the name "Halfgate" depending on one's character creation choices. I'll quote PCGamesN's description of this scenario:

In our demo, we’re introduced to a triplicate of opposed peoples - the townsfolk of Plainsgate, a conquered region that was once lush farmland, a regiment of the army called the Scarlet Chorus and the race of Beastmen that cohabit this area of the world.

It’s a complex series of relationships, and we see it play out in two vastly different ways. In the first, we’ve become good mates with the Scarlet Chorus. They like this incarnation of the Fatebinder - the in-universe name for the judge, jury and executioner role you take, who Singh likens to Judge Dredd - and want help in recruiting one of the Beastmen, improving the relationship between the two factions and continuing a quest chain focused on unlocking the magic of the land. The villagers, meanwhile, want to kill the Beastman for trespassing and generally not being a human.

There’s immediately a huge number of ways to solve this. We can try to explain to the townspeople why we need to take the Beastman. We can kill him for their favour and piss off our army mates. Our authority as an agent of Kyros, the aforementioned top nasty man, is unquestioned - they might not like us, become aggressive even, but they will do what we ask up until we actively attack them. In this version, we make the Scarlet Chorus very happy by freeing the Beastman, but taking the blame from the villagers ourselves. It makes the commoners even angrier at us, but doesn’t affect their relationship with the army. A (relatively) happy ending.

The scene is reset with a load. This time not only are our relationships different, but the land itself is totally altered. Due to some decision made in this save file, the same location of a dusty village is rent through with a massive crevasse of magic energy. This comes from one of Tyranny’s most interesting additions to the genre: when you create a character, you also create the world they inhabit and history they enacted. How brutal was Kyros’ army as it marched the land? What exactly were you in charge of?

[...] This also means the oh-so-friendly Scarlet Chorus no longer like us. This particular group are hostile but unprepared to fight, and still respect our position and power, meaning we can call their bluff on attacking us with a little intimidation, making them retreat. It wouldn’t be a modern, western RPG without a nice bit of chatting to dissuade combat, but Tyranny goes about it a little differently. If you manage to threaten, convince or otherwise dissuade opponents from active, killy combat, you’ll still get a collection of combat skill upgrades, as well as any ones from the social abilities you used to avoid.

[...] Once the Fatebinder arrives at the same imprisoned Beastman from before, the townspeople are still angry that he exists and the Scarlet Chorus still want to recruit him, but they also attack us immediately while the villagefolk scatter, a little braver than their comrades from before. Between the character combo mentioned earlier and a new magic system that allows for unique spell creation, it’s a one-sided affair. Despite a main character focused on sword and shield, our protagonist is still capable of unleashing a massive ball of lightning, custom-made to take out large groups.

In the end the Beastman dies, killed by our hand to help out a fourth faction we’re aligned with in this playthrough. Singh says that this means we’ll experience a whole different follow-up to this and many other areas of the game. This is part of why a single campaign might be a bit shorter than you would expect from an RPG in 2016. Instead, your run will likely be vastly different to mine, and your second as different again.
Age of Decadence: Obsidian Edition? We shall see.

Thonius

Arcane
Sounds cool.
AoD like C&C might be a reason for not so detailed backgrounds.
And RTwP might be a massive pain since they added combos.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It's funny that Eric wants shorter games and Josh prefers classless systems, but none of them worked on this.
Yeah, this one sure sounds like "Fuck You, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG".

Is like they did the by-the-numbers IE game and now will finally do what they really wanted to do...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The setting is Mediterranean-inspired
:nocountryforshitposters:

Well, that's what they say:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-new-obsidian-game

“We thought [Pillars] was a really gorgeous game but we wanted to go in a different direction on this one,” explains lead producer Matthew Singh. “We took a stylised approach to both our characters and our environments and gave it more of a mediterranean feel, which we thought would give us a unique world. In addition, we wanted to get away from the settings that you're used to so instead we actually [put] it towards the end of the Bronze Age and the beginning of the Iron Age. It was a very brutal time and it helps us tell the stories that we want to about human greed and corruption, so we thought it was a cool place to do it.”

http://www.zam.com/article/235/obsidian-has-a-new-grimdark-fantasy-game-tyranny

With a bombastic hook like 'what if evil won,' it'd be easy to write Tyranny off as yet another grimdark spin on Tolkien, but that's not quite what's going on here. For one thing, it's shooting for something a few thousand years older, and a tad more Mediterranean.

Game Director Brian Heins says Tyranny takes its aesthetic cues from "the end of the Bronze Age, entering into the Iron Age," or around 1200 BCE. It's not as clear in the stills or the teaser trailer (above), but armor and weaponry has a distinct Grecian flair, and the level of technology seen throughout the environments also more or less matches the setting. Don't expect an obsession with historical minutiae like you might find in one of Paradox's grand strategy games, though -- it's still an RPG at the end of the day, with experience points and a magic system, so a little leeway with historical accuracy is a given.

The 1200 BC reference makes it clear - they're making a fantasy version of the Late Bronze Age collapse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I want to see a shot of the UI really badly.

What have I become?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's funny that Eric wants shorter games and Josh prefers classless systems, but none of them worked on this.
Yeah, this one sure sounds like "Fuck You, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Personal Dream RPG".

Eh, not all that much. See honestly more the MCA influence with all dat focus on C&C and setting doesn't remind me much of Sawyer at all.

I'm sure he's not the only history geek in the company.

The game is Sawyery in some ways but I suspect he'd be horrified by the concept of improve-by-use progression.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The setting is Mediterranean-inspired
:nocountryforshitposters:

Well, that's what they say:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-new-obsidian-game

“We thought [Pillars] was a really gorgeous game but we wanted to go in a different direction on this one,” explains lead producer Matthew Singh. “We took a stylised approach to both our characters and our environments and gave it more of a mediterranean feel, which we thought would give us a unique world. In addition, we wanted to get away from the settings that you're used to so instead we actually [put] it towards the end of the Bronze Age and the beginning of the Iron Age. It was a very brutal time and it helps us tell the stories that we want to about human greed and corruption, so we thought it was a cool place to do it.”

http://www.zam.com/article/235/obsidian-has-a-new-grimdark-fantasy-game-tyranny

With a bombastic hook like 'what if evil won,' it'd be easy to write Tyranny off as yet another grimdark spin on Tolkien, but that's not quite what's going on here. For one thing, it's shooting for something a few thousand years older, and a tad more Mediterranean.

Game Director Brian Heins says Tyranny takes its aesthetic cues from "the end of the Bronze Age, entering into the Iron Age," or around 1200 BCE. It's not as clear in the stills or the teaser trailer (above), but armor and weaponry has a distinct Grecian flair, and the level of technology seen throughout the environments also more or less matches the setting. Don't expect an obsession with historical minutiae like you might find in one of Paradox's grand strategy games, though -- it's still an RPG at the end of the day, with experience points and a magic system, so a little leeway with historical accuracy is a given.

The 1200 BC reference makes it clear - they're making a fantasy version of the Late Bronze Age collapse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse
I'm glad I already knew about the game before reading that, because that'd be some really mean bait and switch.

Last edited:

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Combat seems more dynamic than Pilllars, with stuff like combo moves that can make companions shoot up in the air and fire arrows at the enemy.
Kill me now, they're making this shit even more gamey?

t's a shorter game than Pillars, focused on choice & consequence and replayability. One site mentions a playtime of less than 20 hours (though I wouldn't take that as gospel).
Translation: it's just shorter. The rest about c&c? Yea, it's pretty much vignettes and bullshit, don't worry about it.

If you manage to threaten, convince or otherwise dissuade opponents from active, killy combat, you’ll still get a collection of combat skill upgrades, as well as any ones from the social abilities you used to avoid.
Oh, THAT kind of "[..]learn-by-doing progression", the one where you learn by not doing anything related, I see. Clever!

Despite a main character focused on sword and shield, our protagonist is still capable of unleashing a massive ball of lightning, custom-made to take out large groups.
Can we please just fucking go back to having normal dudes fighting the normal way with normal weapons damnit. I'm tired of fucking wizardswhateverbulllshitpewpewbuttonawesome everywhere!

The usual Obsidian faction reputation and companion approval mechanics are in and can grant you unique abilities, for both positive ("Favor") and negative ("Wrath") reputations.
...Why can't that just be simply represented in the world instead of fucking new abilities all the time that just don't make sense.

The game world is called Terratus. The setting is Mediterranean-inspired, set during the end of the Bronze Age and the beginning of the Iron Age.
That sounds nice, hopefully they'll go more generic common low fantasy than usual. I'm tired of flying monkeys, shit I can't even pronounce and fireballs at every tavern brawl.

As for the entire premise of the game being "evil won, you helped", I can't wait for yet another prude "ohhhh I'm evuuulll! Muahaha" boring shit. Obsidian can do some kind of "gray" but cannot do evil whatsoever so I'm not sure what they want to offer. I don't even think they know what evil means. Goods easy. Evil's bottomless.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The usual Obsidian faction reputation and companion approval mechanics are in and can grant you unique abilities, for both positive ("Favor") and negative ("Wrath") reputations.
...Why can't that just be simply represented in the world instead of fucking new abilities all the time that just don't make sense.

Because many people just want to play the game for the combat, and don't care about social consequences. If you leave those people behind, you'll end up making a niche game and going out of business.

sstacks

Arcane
Tags: Brian Heins; Matthew Singh; Obsidian Entertainment; Tyranny

• The game uses the Pillars of Eternity engine and is RTwP.
RTwP = sigh
  • It's a shorter game than Pillars, focused on choice & consequence and replayability. One site mentions a playtime of less than 20 hours (though I wouldn't take that as gospel).
Double plus good. Not a fan of long games for the sake of being long.

• Choice & consequence actually begins at character creation, with different initial world states depending on your choices in a CYOA-style character creation sequence.
Ears perk up.

In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

I'm not saying no games should be like that, they can be quite fun, just saying after a couple of decades of it I would enjoy a good old old fashioned clearly defined good vs evil in my fantasy.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Because many people just want to play the game for the combat, and don't care about social consequences. If you leave those people behind, you'll end up making a niche game and going out of business.

I care a lot about combat and these abilities are just stupid gamey console bullshit. Bring on actual tactical actions like jump, climb, crawl, take cover, kneel, some time management issue for potions and consumable and all that shit (and their actual mechanics that can be put to use in game of course), not... gimmick abilities that shoot 3 magic watchamadig every 10 seconds...

Now if you just said "Because most people are completely retarded and just can't handle anything complicated. If you leave those people, you'll end up making a niche game and going out of business", then I'd just say "how about instead of making them stupider, try to make them a bit less retarded..."

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
In general, just want to comment I've gotten a bit tired of "gray" morality in RPGs. It's fantasy and escapism, I think it's totally fine to have clearly defined good and evil and not have to deal with moral ambiguity.

I'm not saying no games should be like that, they can be quite fun, just saying after a couple of decades of it I would enjoy a good old old fashioned clearly defined good vs evil in my fantasy.

Didn't Sword Coast Legends already scratch that itch for you?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

I care a lot about combat and these abilities are just stupid gamey console bullshit. Bring on actual tactical actions like jump, climb, crawl, take cover, kneel, some time management issue for potions and consumable and all that shit, not... gimmick abilities that shoot 3 magic watchamadig every 10 seconds...
I'm sorry but that doesn't sound awesome like anime.

sstacks

Arcane

Didn't Sword Coast Legends already scratch that itch for you?

As the Codex has so clearly indicated, SCL isn't an RPG :P

But yeah, that game has pretty clear morality. I was speaking more to the "powerhouse" RPG designers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom