Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 7 Mages, turn-based dungeon crawler where you play a party of mages, released on Steam Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: 7 Mages; Napoleon Games

Ever since the success of Almost Human's Legend of Grimrock back in 2012, there's been a steady trickle of suspiciously similar games released by various no-name indie devs, most of which have been ignored by the Codex and pretty much everybody else. But here's one dungeon crawler that seems to be a cut above the rest of the clones, with a unique premise and some interesting features. It's called 7 Mages, by Czech developer Jindřich Rohlík of Napoleon Games, and it's just been released on Steam Early Access. Why Early Access? Because it's a straight port of the game's mobile version, also released today on Android and iOS, and the developer would like to use the Early Access period to beef it up for the PC. Here's the launch trailer and description:

The oppressed peasants on Roven Island hire seven mages to protect their homes and crops.

The legendary Roven Island is said to be the place where the gods rested after they created the world. The earth, water and air there are still imbued with magic, which lures magic prospectors. These prospectors conduct savage raids at regular intervals on one of the unnamed villages on the island, robbing the hard-working peasants of most of their harvest. And so, one day, the peasants put together the last of their coin and hire the mages to protect them.

The epic RPG 7 Mages in the tradition of the greatest classics of the genre takes you around the magical island of Roven. You will visit gloomy crypts beneath the city, cross an icy mountain pass, submerge beneath the surface of the ocean and venture into the guts of a dead dragon. And lots more too! The game offers unique and very tactical turn-based combat with the option to split up your team, use combat magic, elemental magic and all-new musical magic.
  • A fantasy game reworking of the legendary movies Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven
  • 14 fantastic environments
  • More than 30 types of enemy, most of them bringing new elements into combat
  • Highly tactical turn-based combat with the option to split up your team
  • 60 combat, elemental and musical spells
  • Original puzzles on each new level

More information about 7 Mages is available on its official website. I also recommend checking out this post about the game by esteemed Codex commentator V_K.

Xenich

Cipher
From the site (I am assuming the mobile version)

Interactive Elements
Digital Purchases

In-app Products
$0.99 - $6.42 per item

Will the PC version also have this?

My experience with games originally designed with these micro transactions built in is that they drive the games designs. If they have the store in the PC version, well...umm... yeah, no thanks.

If they take it out in the PC version, how much of the game was designed around the subtle elements to lure people to the store and what effect does that have on game play?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From thesite (I am assuing the mobile version)

Interactive Elements
Digital Purchases

In-app Products
$0.99 - $6.42 per item

My experience with games originally designed with these micro transactions built in is that they drive the games designs. If they have the store in the PC version, well...umm... yeah, no thanks.

If they take it out in the PC version, how much of the game was designed around the subtle elements to lure people to the store and what effect does that have on game play?

It's free-to-trial model. According to the site, you can play 4 levels for free, and if you like it you can buy the rest of the game (a dollar for each level or 7 dollars for the whole game).

For the PC version, you just buy the whole game for 8.99 USD.

V_K

Arcane

Interactive Elements
Digital Purchases

In-app Products
$0.99 - $6.42 per item

In mobile version you download the game for free and then purchase access to each area separately. In Steam version you purchase the whole game with all areas already in.

Edit: ninjad by LESS T_T :D

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- Character system isn't terribly detailed, this isn't Wizardry. There are no races or classes, you get four main stats and skills for each weapon type/magic school/musical instrument. On the other hand, all four stats seem to be of some importance no matter what kind of character you are trying to build, there are no dump stats. Also, it's probably the first game in decades (since BG?) where the starting attributes are rolled randomly.

Do you find that to be big flow for someone that really likes stats/builds?I may give it a shot ,but 7 characters with limited skills and stats worries me.

Xenich

Cipher

Interactive Elements
Digital Purchases

In-app Products
$0.99 - $6.42 per item

In mobile version you download the game for free and then purchase access to each area separately. In Steam version you purchase the whole game with all areas already in.

Edit: ninjad by LESS T_T :D

So that is all you spend money on? Just added content? No potions, items, added space, etc...?

Xenich

Cipher
From thesite (I am assuing the mobile version)

Interactive Elements
Digital Purchases

In-app Products
$0.99 - $6.42 per item

It's free-to-trial model. According to the site, you can play 4 levels for free, and if you like it you can buy the rest of the game (a dollar for each level or 7 dollars for the whole game).

For the PC version, you just buy the whole game for 8.99 USD.

If that is the case, then that solves that issue, The only other complaint I have outside of that is the fact that it was designed for mobile and a straight port.

Johny_G

Napoleon Games
Developer
So that is all you spend money on? Just added content? No potions, items, added space, etc...?
Exactly. If you buy the full game, no IAPs will be available anymore. No consumables, nor other crap. Just pay 7 bucks and it's all yours :). Or, of course, you can choose to buy the levels one by one, but these are permanent purchases as well.

If that is the case, then that solves that issue, The only other complaint I have outside of that is the fact that it was designed for mobile and a straight port.
The straight port only applies to the Early Access version. The game will be eventually adjusted for computer needs (better graphics, dynamic lighting, remappable controls, keyboard shortcuts, etc.). We just heard the community reluctant to play full-pledged RPG on mobile and made the exact same version available for PC and Mac until the real PC version is finished.

V_K

Arcane
- Character system isn't terribly detailed, this isn't Wizardry. There are no races or classes, you get four main stats and skills for each weapon type/magic school/musical instrument. On the other hand, all four stats seem to be of some importance no matter what kind of character you are trying to build, there are no dump stats. Also, it's probably the first game in decades (since BG?) where the starting attributes are rolled randomly.

Do you find that to be big flow for someone that really likes stats/builds?I may give it a shot ,but 7 characters with limited skills and stats worries me.
Frankly, I don't know. Character building is definitely not the main focus of the game. On the other hand, it's not something you can ignore either, as there is enough space to fuck up a build, and to be most effective you have to specialize.
Also, you start the game with only one character and have to recruit the others, it's kinda the main quest (you're free to develop them in any way you like though).

V_K

Arcane

Here's how the character sheet looks like.
The stats (str, spd, mag, cha) are improved on level-up, skills (the right column) improve with use (very slowly). All the secondary stats are derived from the main four. They also determine you access to maneuvres, spells and songs, and all gear has stat requirements too. See for yourself if it's enough to sate your number-crunching urge. :D

S7FbNei.png

Cadmus

Arcane
This looks really good. Was the trailer from the Android version or wtf it looked pretty good for that.

Johny_G

Napoleon Games
Developer
This looks really good. Was the trailer from the Android version or wtf it looked pretty good for that.

The gameplay is from iPhone 6+. The opening and ending sequences are actually captured on Mac, but still in-engine. The Android version looks exactly the same though.

Cadmus

Arcane

The gameplay is from iPhone 6+. The opening and ending sequences are actually captured on Mac, but still in-engine. The Android version looks exactly the same though.
Jesus Christ, I was wondering why have we been getting only shitty looking slotmachine games when something like this should have been possible. Good job, Johnny!!
I want to try it now.

Johny_G

Napoleon Games
Developer
Well, it was a though decision that came with a price :). We had to narrow the market quite a lot. Unlike the slotmachine games, you actually need pretty high-end device with OpenGL ES 3.0 (HTC One M7 being the bare minimum, requiring to play on low quality setting; Nexus 5 is mostly fine with HQ). We got some hard time about it from the fans, but I still beleive it was worth it. Also, the optimization sessions were living hell.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just purchased it based on my fellow Codexian's semi-optimistic posts. We'll see if Codexian game opinions have indeed fallen to a new low or if this truly is a gem in the rough.
:hmmm:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just so I am understanding this, the game IS already finished for Android and iOS, but they are just getting a port for the PC working on STEAM?

V_K

Arcane
Just so I am understanding this, the game IS already finished for Android and iOS, but they are just getting a port for the PC working on STEAM?
The port also works perfectly well and is a finished game, what they are doing is improving the UI and the graphics to make better use of PC facilities.

Just purchased it based on my fellow Codexian's semi-optimistic posts. We'll see if Codexian game opinions have indeed fallen to a new low or if this truly is a gem in the rough.
One bad thing I can say is that the English translation definitely needs more work, there are some very rough, barely understandable passages.
Another bad thing I can say is that enemies don't always react when you fireball them from afar out of combat, this needs to be fixed.

Johny_G

Napoleon Games
Developer

The mobile versions are indeed finished, but there is obviously always a room for improvements. We will definitely update it with some bugfixes, we might implement some player feedback, and if the game is popular enough, there is plenty of ideas for future expansions of the title.

The PC version is a direct port of the mobile game in the Early Access phase, but the graphically superior version with further PC adjustments is already under development. The EA version will be updated eventually, but the gameplay will stay exactly the same, and we plan to keep the save games compatible as well. So you can buy it now before we raise the price if you like :).

One bad thing I can say is that the English translation definitely needs more work, there are some very rough, barely understandable passages.
Another bad thing I can say is that enemies don't always react when you fireball them from afar out of combat, this needs to be fixed.

The translation issue worries me as the translator is actually a native speaker (Irish, I think) and professional czech-to-english game translator. Do you have any examples so we can fine-tune it in future updates, please?

The combat thing might be actually intentional. It's being discussed a bit on the Steam Forums.

V_K

Arcane
The translation issue worries me as the translator is actually a native speaker (Irish, I think) and professional czech-to-english game translator. Do you have any examples so we can fine-tune it in future updates, please?

Well, for example, a lot of spell descriptions go like this. I'm not a native speaker, of course, but I am a C2-level speaker, and to me all those "wounds in the element of fire" and "determines the size of the wound" sound exremely awkward. I'd use "sets the target on fire" and "determines the amount of damage" instead.

FE3J1hH.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom