Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Kickstarter Update #25: Customizable DropShip Home Base Details

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BattleTech; Harebrained Schemes; Mike McCain

After a couple of uninteresting BackerKit reminders and administrative notices, Harebrained Schemes' BattleTech has received its first substantial Kickstarter update since last year. There's a short development status report, but mostly it's about the DropShip home base you'll acquire during the game, which was the campaign's $2M stretch goal, but has clearly become a central gameplay element. The DropShip's name is the Argo, and the update is packed with information about its history, physical specifications, internal layout and more. They even put together a "previsualization" concept video of it. Here's the video and a gameplay-relevant snippet:

I’m not going to dive into any story spoilers here, but suffice it to say that your Mercenary outfit will come into possession of this derelict Argo-class DropShip early on in the campaign. Here’s a quick tour of some of the different areas of the DropShip that you’ll be able to visit to manage your Mercenary outfit. (And by visit, we mean move between fixed-views of each environment, almost like the old MechWarrior games.) Once again, over to Kevin for the descriptions here!

COMMAND CENTER - This is where you and your command staff operate the ship. It’s a combination of a communications center, briefing room, and CIC. It’s located amidships, along the spine of the ship, where it’s quickly and easily accessed from anywhere on the ship while also being protected by the bulk of the Main Hold. In the Command Center, you’ll talk to your Executive Officer, review and negotiate contracts, and determine lance deployments.

BRIDGE - The bridge is where the operations crew and the navigator drive the ship. It features a large holo-vid display in the center of the bridge for surveying known planetary and stellar data. The pilot and copilot pods are at one end of the bridge area, and the navigator’s console is at the other end. On the Bridge, you’ll talk to your ship’s Navigator and chart both interstellar and interplanetary travel.

MAIN HOLD
- The Argo’s main hold is subdivided into into multiple bays, which are connected to each other both via the ship’s main spine elevators and internal lifts. There are three Mech bays, each of which has four Mech cubicles. Active ‘Mechs are kept in these cubicles, ready for deployment. The cubicles are also repair bays for MechTechs to upgrade, modify, and repair Mechs. The Argo was built primarily as a cargo hauler, and has 20 cargo bays ranging in size from 20 m3 to the vast cavernous Main Bay, with 25,000 m3 of storage. In its new life as a mercenary company base, the ship’s cargo bays are used to store salvaged and otherwise deactivated mech chassis and weapons. In the Main Hold, you’ll repair, customize, and upgrade your ‘Mechs, as well as manage salvage and possibly support vehicles.

HABITATION RING
- The Argo has three habitation pods, which spin while the ship is not under thrust to provide apparent gravity, and fold down along the spine of the ship to provide apparent gravity while under thrust. These pods contain all comfort-focused facilities: barracks, medical bays, hydroponics, recreation areas, and passenger quarters. In the Habitation Ring, you’ll manage your MechWarriors and other personnel, and browse hiring boards for new hires.

CAPTAIN’S QUARTERS - Your personal quarters on the ship. They’re located in one of the habitation modules, so they always have gravity. They’re larger than the other crew quarters aboard the ship, mostly because they include an attached office. In your Captain’s Quarters, you’ll manage your Mercenary company finances, browse ComStar news bulletins, and view records of your career-to-date.

ENGINEERING - The Argo’s engines are serviced by two primary engineering decks, near the reactor shield. Access to the ship’s maintenance passageways and access tunnels is all through these two decks. In an emergency, the engineering deck can be used as a backup command center. Engineering is where you’ll talk to your Chief Engineer and choose both functional and cosmetic upgrades for the Argo.

The full update includes concept art and schematics of the Argo, along with some behind-the-scenes information about how it was designed. Really cool stuff. It's all still preproduction now, but the game is scheduled to enter full production this summer.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm not really familiar with Battletech, and backed at the minimum level just because of Shadowrun, not expecting much, but this is actually looking good.

InternalRevenue

Educated
Looking good, but I hope the Griffin doesn't stay so huge. Just because they're using Pranha Games' models doesn't mean they need to keep the fucked up scaling.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They already stated this would be RPG-lite™ and would more be focused on the turn-based tactical strategy of the PnP setting. Which honestly I think is a good direction for them (if they can pull off a decent to good combat system). I have no idea if they are going to be able to pull that off though, but we shall see.

But fuck yes, MECH BATTLES!!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They already stated this would be RPG-lite™ and would more be focused on the turn-based tactical strategy of the PnP setting. Which honestly I think is a good direction for them (if they can pull off a decent to good combat system). I have no idea if they are going to be able to pull that off though, but we shall see.

But fuck yes, MECH BATTLES!!
Game shouldn't even be on the rpg forum, it's clearly a strategy game... And that's the best thing about it.

I don't want too many rpg elements detracting from a deep combat system, where load outs, position, encounter design are all critical elements in developing the game.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's with all that Latin text?!?!??!
I sure as fuck ain't gonna learn a new language for this gaem!
And from my RPG experiences, I don't remember any Latin speaking factions in the Battletech universe either! These fuckwads obviously don't know their setting!

Black

Arcane
There already are female mech pilots, how much more progressive can you get?

Luka-boy

Arcane
Commander: "Hey Chief, how are the 'Mechs doing?".

Chief Mech-Tech: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam gravida ultricies metus in blandit. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Proin tempor pretium mi eu gravida. Quisque ornare felis sit amet mi elementum volutpat. Nullam luctus augue ante, sed tincidunt est tempor ultricies. Nunc dapibus cursus libero vel finibus. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Proin ac nunc cursus, convallis dui vel, lacinia magna. Suspendisse ac nibh molestie, fermentum velit vel, rhoncus lorem. Morbi blandit maximus nibh, ut ultricies mi imperdiet vitae. Phasellus in feugiat leo. Aenean interdum, mauris et faucibus iaculis, ligula tortor finibus lectus, id congue sem velit nec felis. Donec dapibus posuere sodales".

Commander: "Yeah I agree, we should get a dog".

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's with all that Latin text?!?!??!
I sure as fuck ain't gonna learn a new language for this gaem!

20867.jpg

Darkzone

Arcane
Commander: "Hey Chief, how are the 'Mechs doing?".
Chief Mech-Tech: "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam gravida ultricies metus in blandit. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Proin tempor pretium mi eu gravida. Quisque ornare felis sit amet mi elementum volutpat. Nullam luctus augue ante, sed tincidunt est tempor ultricies. Nunc dapibus cursus libero vel finibus. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Proin ac nunc cursus, convallis dui vel, lacinia magna. Suspendisse ac nibh molestie, fermentum velit vel, rhoncus lorem. Morbi blandit maximus nibh, ut ultricies mi imperdiet vitae. Phasellus in feugiat leo. Aenean interdum, mauris et faucibus iaculis, ligula tortor finibus lectus, id congue sem velit nec felis. Donec dapibus posuere sodales".
Commander: "Yeah I agree, we should get a dog".

For a moment i thought: Fuck what is that about? Why i cannot understand it? But then i looked closer and saw: lorem ipsum.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Loving the minimalist-yet-detailed art style. That's one of the best things about SRR and SR:HK is that they didn't try and get too cute with the visuals.

Really hoping this game is one of those ones that you just relish the entire way through.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Continue to cover this. Since TC is dead, you are my only lifeline to this...other than the emails I receive from being a backer that you essentially just post on here.

BUT KEEP COVERING THIS!!!!

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Game shouldn't even be on the rpg forum, it's clearly a strategy game... And that's the best thing about it.

I don't want too many rpg elements detracting from a deep combat system, where load outs, position, encounter design are all critical elements in developing the game.

A deep combat system and RPG elements are definitely not a contradiction. In fact they might even go together as AoD shows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom