Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #54: On Content Completion and Iteration

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Eric Schwarz; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

With the exception of the recent Arvan Eleron interview, the Torment: Tides of Numenera front went pretty quiet after the beta release in January. A new Kickstarter update today offers some news on the progress of the game's development since then. It turns out inXile just recently completed their first pass on the writing, with the game due to be content complete next month. After that, iteration. Here's an excerpt:

Eric here! We'd like to start today's update with an important announcement. As of February 29th, our writing team on Torment: Tides of Numenera has completed its first pass on all of the game's writing. Our latest estimates put this at around one million words. We will know the final count in the coming months, but this is a big milestone for a Torment game, as you can no doubt imagine.

Torment's story is a carefully crafted one, and "first pass" means we have a lot of revisions and edits still to do as we perfect the game's word-smithing. But it does mean our story and quests are more or less set, and our design, scripting and engineering teams can focus their efforts on tightly implementing our remaining game systems and environment/level scripting.

So what is next for Torment? We are hoping to have the game content complete by the beginning of April. At that point, we will be taking the game into iteration. We are dedicated to getting Torment right, so just like the writing needs to go through polish passes, we have allotted significant time for ourselves to improve upon the game's content. This includes things like additional passes on environment art and visual effects, quests and dialog, user interface art and functionality, and gameplay balance, not to mention fixing bugs and optimizing performance.

We know that this will make some of you wonder – when is the final game coming? As we've mentioned before, we are still targeting a 2016 release. The benefit of our continued funding and the success of our back catalog (such as Wasteland 2: Director's Cut) means that we can continue put resources into Torment to make it something special for everyone who backed the game. We'll be able to narrow in on a more specific date once we are a bit deeper into iteration and know how much work we have left.

Torment Beta - Processing Feedback

Our beta test for Torment, which released in mid-January, has given us a huge amount of feedback from our community, and it has been invaluable for allowing us to prioritize things we want to change and improve upon. Having people able to submit their thoughts on the game directly while playing it is no small benefit to us and has led to incredibly detailed and nuanced impressions.

[...] Our commitment to ensuring Torment's quality (and perhaps just a little vanity) means that our team members continually scour the Internet for impressions on the game. This can be anything from forum posts on our official forums and the Steam forums, to other RPG communities, to Facebook and Twitter comments, and of course, professional previews and articles from the press. Even the darkest reaches of reddit and Something Awful don't go unchecked.

Of course, there are larger points of feedback we receive which can't always be handled with a simple bug report or which require more significant design decisions, writing or engineering. For those points where we see significant amounts of feedback or critique, we often end up taking meetings dedicated to those topics, and the team will discuss how to act on it. One example might be specific combat or interface issues, and another might be a particular quest or story element we feel we want to change. From there, we work on a plan to address that in a way that fits into our development timeline, figure out exactly what needs doing, and then task that work out. A lot of this is often handled by my compatriot and name-brother Eric Daily, who is invaluable at keeping things on track behind the scenes.

Just one example of how we've acted on feedback can be found in our first beta patch for Torment. This was put out shortly after the initial release, and addressed many of the comments and issues that players ran into – everything from combat lock-ups, to save/load issues, to performance and optimization, to gameplay balance, and interface bugs. Getting these reports directly from our players allowed us to prioritize and address them much more effectively.

At the end of the day, we are making Torment primarily for our backers and our fans, so this kind of process is extremely helpful to us. In traditional development, we'd be making a game in a vacuum, guessing at what people might think of it or relying on limited playtests. With the beta, we have a pool of our most dedicated players to draw on, all of whom want Torment to be an awesome game as much as we do.
No mention of the forum you left behind, sea? I am disappoint.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sea spends more time on Watch so be careful what you wish for..

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It is good that they check Something Awful, though. It is well known as a place that draws in elite people with great knowledge of RPGs. As a result, I'm sure that TToN can only improve.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The SA Torment thread isn't even active so I don't know what he's looking at.

Aenra

And then they grow up, leave the house and even don't call back.
More like they go work for the people doing exactly what they so vehemently criticised in the past. Like say, reviving old successes and milking them for whatever they're worth. Just to prove to anyone how grown up and mature they've become, they also take great joy in shitposting in their own forums, where they inform happy satisfied customers that there are NO, no issues with W2's (pre-DC) engine overheating graphic cards for example. Absolutely none.

But hey, change a man's work, you can't change his nature, no sir.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

I see, so they're just shamelessly begging for attention from SA.

Sales from early access must be quite bad.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Tides of Numenera has completed its first pass on all of the game's writing. Our latest estimates put this at around one million words.
At first, when they started publishing their word count, I took it as a joke, like that Red Boots DLC, because who in their right mind would care about the number of words in a game? It's like that kid publisher asking how many items there'll be in the game. But then they kept coming back with that joke and saying W2 had more words than the bible etc. Now I'm realizing they're actually serious about it... wtf...

Now I have images in my head. Fargo walking into the office asking how many words they have. They have 900k. He says "MORE. I NEED MORE WORDS. TYPE ANYTHING, I NEED THAT MILLION".

And that's how that tedious intro came to be.

Last edited:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tides of Numenera has completed its first pass on all of the game's writing. Our latest estimates put this at around one million words.
At first, when they started publishing their word count, I took it as a joke, like that Red Boots DLC, because who in their right mind would care about the number of words in a game? It's like that kid publisher asking how many items there'll be in the game. But then they kept coming back with that joke and saying W2 had more words than the bible etc. Now I'm realizing they're actually serious about it... wtf...
Pretty sure Dwarf Fortress has a higher word count than NuTorment.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
because who in their right mind would care about the number of words in a game?

Remember the vatnik school Bester? When the dotsent issued orders for homework, length measured in words, da?

For reference, PST script had around 800k words. Baldur's Gate had 400k.

Torment has script that is about as long as the longest of visual novels, yet there is (assumedly) a real game built around of it.

Pretty sure Dwarf Fortress has a higher word count than NuTorment.

Sure, if you count all the crayon shit the sperglord has been drawing in the past decade to milk whales.

Darkzone

Arcane
More like they go work for the people doing exactly what they so vehemently criticised in the past. Like say, reviving old successes and milking them for whatever they're worth. Just to prove to anyone how grown up and mature they've become, they also take great joy in shitposting in their own forums, where they inform happy satisfied customers that there are NO, no issues with W2's (pre-DC) engine overheating graphic cards for example. Absolutely none.

Hmm that really answers the question "What can change the nature of a man?". I think that we don't need to play T:ToN anymore, since the question is settled.

http://steamspy.com/app/272270
Owners 10k. Yep that doesn't look good.

Inveigh

Novice

Now I have images in my head. Fargo walking into the office asking how many words they have. They have 900k. He says "MORE. I NEED MORE WORDS. TYPE ANYTHING, I NEED THAT MILLION".

And that's how that tedious intro came to be.

The intro is mind numbing. They couldn't have picked a better way to starve the game from the get go.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Hmm that really answers the question "What can change the nature of a man?". I think that we don't need to play T:ToN anymore, since the question is settled.

http://steamspy.com/app/272270
Owners 10k. Yep that doesn't look good.

Thats a really low number. Tho i bet a lot of backers are reticent to play due to spoilers? or it's just isnt selling.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Eh no surprise here, the most enthusiastic people already backed it on KS but many of those hardcore fans won't upgrade to beta access in fear of spoilers, as for the rest, why would they buy a buggy beta of a story heavy game that they're not that interested in anyway

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
#WordCountGate

The hurting of the buttocks flows free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom