Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Arvan Eleron Interview: Nathan Long on writing Wasteland 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Gregory Wilson; InXile Entertainment; Nathan Long; Torment: Tides of Numenera; Wasteland 2

Twitch personality Gregory "Arvan Eleron" Wilson (who recently joined our fine forums) had inXile's Nathan Long as a guest on his "Pen & Pixels" GOG Twitch show the other day. Nathan Long, if you recall, was a relative unknown who somehow rose to become Wasteland 2's lead writer, despite the army of oldschool designers who were recruited during its Kickstarter campaign. A year and a half after the game's original release, this rather frank interview finally reveals a bit of what was going on during the silent months of its preproduction period in late 2012.

In short, it turns out that original Wasteland designer Michael Stackpole, who was responsible for getting Nathan on the team in the first place, was meant to be the game's lead writer...but then he "vanished" (Nathan's words!). Most of the other writers that inXile had recruited moved on as well. Nathan was thus promoted to the position of lead writer, with Patrick McLean as his sole subordinate, where he had the unenviable task of stitching together the bits of content that the departed writing team had managed to produce during preproduction. I suspect that critics of Wasteland 2's writing may find the game to be more understandable now.

The interview is about a lot more than that, of course. Nathan has things to say about the challenges of writing a game with Wasteland 2's extreme player agency, about the game's tone and themes, and most interestingly, about cut content. It turns out that in addition to the Reagan cultist-inhabited La Brea Tar Pits, which we already knew about, there was another area that was cut from Wasteland 2, an underground Matthias HQ at Seal Beach where the player's party would have fought a giant robot. The latter area is gone for good, but apparently inXile have definite plans to revisit La Brea in a future game.

Nathan also talks a bit about his work on Torment and Bard's Tale IV. In the former game, he's responsible for the companion Tybir and is also doing much of the writing for a companion that was originally conceived by Colin McComb. He's also done lots of work on Sagus Cliffs, and more in an area that ended up getting cut. Nathan has been off the Torment project for the past two months though, and is now on Bard's Tale IV full time. He's grateful to finally be able to work on a game that he can creatively lead from beginning to end. Hopefully, we'll be grateful for that too.

• MCA blocked AG and HP, fleshed main conflicts and then got away
  • They removed all the children after they decided everyone was killable.
  • Originally the game was to be 2 times as big. The story was already written, they were constant changes, There was no return to Arizone in one version, there was other Arizone ending
  • Writing the game as a satire is a good way to keep balance between dark and happy
  • He was writing, but not world building, he was working on others foundations
  • Nathan didn't make it to the LA
  • He don't know anything about any plans for expansion
  • He is most proud for his work on Holywood and Gold Militia(he started it from the scratch)
  • Some writing was cut because there were not enough place in UI for keywords
:M

Most questions are genuinely good. Interviewer is really decent.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Originally the game was to be 2 times as big.
Oh god, why? As it is, it already should have been half as long... I really don't get where this BIGGER, LONGER, MOAR! mentality comes from, when about every dev complains that RPGs are too long.

Imma shoot blind at Fargo's direction here, sounds like his megalomanic hype talk.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seal Beach's cut content was obvious given how those NPCs at the beginning talk up that mad doc that you never meet, followed by nothing but pure combat.

himmy

Arcane
Oh god, why? As it is, it already should have been half as long... I really don't get where this BIGGER, LONGER, MOAR! mentality comes from, when about every dev complains that RPGs are too long.

Imma shoot blind at Fargo's direction here, sounds like his megalomanic hype talk.
Well, it seems that Fargo did the right thing in the end and cut the game when he actually realised the same things.

It really seems that the unprecedented insight in the development process that Kickstarter brought makes it very clear that you really don't want to know how a sausage is made. Sure, examples like KOTOR II are nice as "what could have been", but most of the time, cut content is cut for a good reason.

If anything, I'll take a game that downsized during development over a game that had to produce some superfluous content in the middle of the dev process to reach some arbitrary (or stretch-goal related) goal.

How we will asses this decision should depend on how early during preproduction those cuts were made. If those locations didn't get to the stage of having their own design documentations made, then it is more of bad planning than megalomania. And I would say some bad planning is understandable given the fact they were just starting making their first cRPG in years.

really like Arvan's interview's and reviews. It shows that the guy really knows what is talking about, not like the other mindless ones on Youtube, Gametrailers (Dead Yey!) or IGN.

Arvan Eleron

Literate
Appreciate the kind words, guys, and yeah...it was interesting for me, as someone who hadn't played Wasteland 2 before the last month or so, hearing details about stuff which others had been wondering about for a while. I knew Mike had left the project for his own reasons, but didn't know about how other people had been brought on board. Interestingly, it was a series of tweets between me and Colin McComb after the Torment interview which got the ball rolling on this--but Nathan agreed to come on with very short notice, which was nice of him. Meanwhile, back in the Torment world, the interview with Patrick Rothfuss and Monte Cook is coming up this Thursday the 10th at 8:30 p.m. EST...looking forward to that too!

--Arv

Appreciate the kind words, guys, and yeah...it was interesting for me, as someone who hadn't played Wasteland 2 before the last month or so, hearing details about stuff which others had been wondering about for a while. I knew Mike had left the project for his own reasons, but didn't know about how other people had been brought on board. Interestingly, it was a series of tweets between me and Colin McComb after the Torment interview which got the ball rolling on this--but Nathan agreed to come on with very short notice, which was nice of him. Meanwhile, back in the Torment world, the interview with Patrick Rothfuss and Monte Cook is coming up this Thursday the 10th at 8:30 p.m. EST...looking forward to that too!

--Arv

can't wait for the next one. Keep up the good work!

ArchAngel

Arcane

--Arv

can't wait for the next one. Keep up the good work!
You can support him on Patreon ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nathan says (at around 19:55) that the game was planned to have "twice as many levels". I'm not sure if that means exactly the same thing as "2 times as big".

It must have been downsized during or shortly after preproduction, none of these levels were ever built. So it's not like KOTOR2.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wasn't Wasteland 2 at risk for getting even deeper cuts? I recall something about some producer insisting they should only do Arizona and Fargo had to fight for LA, which after multiple patches, turned out to be the right call.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wasn't Wasteland 2 at risk for getting even deeper cuts? I recall something about some producer insisting they should only do Arizona and Fargo had to fight for LA, which after multiple patches, turned out to be the right call.

It wasn't some producer, it was Matt Findley. (So Bard's Tale IV might be a tight, well-scoped game. Or too small.)

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Wasteland 2 is not too long, it's good as it is. I'm impatient to play Bard'sTale 4 and the next Wasteland game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom