Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Ferret Baudoin NWN2 chatter at Gamecloud

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.gamecloud.com/>Gamecloud</a> had a <a href=http://www.gamecloud.com/article.php?article_id=3084>word</a> with Obsidian's Ferret Baudoin (who seems to spend more time doing interviews than making the game) about NWN2. Here's Chris Parker taking a question for some reason:<blockquote>Gamecloud - Where do you think the original game failed to live up to expectations that Neverwinter Nights 2 will improve upon?
<br>
<br>
Chris Parker: - We think NWN was an excellent game and its widespread success has proven that out. As mentioned in the previous answer, there are many ways we are trying to build upon the achievements of NWN and its expansions.</blockquote>Nice dodge.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Chris Parker: - We think NWN was an excellent game and its widespread success has proven that out....
I think we this kind of mentality we should be glad he's doing more interviews rather than working on the game.

obediah

Erudite
Hmm, his favorite new monster is based on mad scary super graphics. He should switch to final fantasy development where every creature is just a pretty bag of hitpoints. If his answer had been about getting some super interesting and complicated monster abiliity working in the engine that would have gotten my attention.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GameCloud said:
First, BioWare's original game is one of the best RPGs ever made. How much pressure is there to make the sequel as good as the original?
WTF?!

Ferret Baudoin said:
If you liked the first game, then Neverwinter Nights 2 should be a profound no-brainer to pick up
Thanks, Ferret.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Necropennis said:
It should be illegal to dodge a question like that

What I find amusing in the answer is not so much the dodge itself, but that despite probably being limited by some corporate addendum that inhibits him from being more direct, the answer itself is more or less acknowledging that Neverwinter Nights wasn't that good - if it had been, they wouldn't be 'building upon' its achievements. If it had been that good they wouldn't have much of anything to build upon.

In other words, he doesn't say how he feels it may have been bad but suggests it was anyway.

Drakron

Arcane
Funny thing is BIoWare come out some years ago and said "yep, the OC was not very good" ... true they were trying to sell HotU but it shows that BioWare realized that they HAD to admit the substandart OC flaws in order to convice the people that played the single player that the expansion was NOT like the OC or SoU.

It just shows that OE had its balls cut off , if they ever had any.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"We think NWN was an excellent game and its widespread success has proven that out."

He's dead wrong. He musta been bought off by the Codex.

NWN is not a great game. It's absolutely perfect. In fact, it's easily the best game EVAR!

"Funny thing is BIoWare come out some years ago and said "yep, the OC was not very good" ... true they were trying to sell HotU but it shows that BioWare realized that they HAD to admit the substandart OC flaws in order to convice the people that played the single player that the expansion was NOT like the OC or SoU."

Proof please. IIRC, what they said was, that it could ahve been much better. Not that it sucked. Dumbass.

"if it had been, they wouldn't be 'building upon' its achievements. If it had been that good they wouldn't have much of anything to build upon."

That is silly. Just because something is good... even great.. doesn't mean its achievements can't be added or it can be improved.

Even FO, as great as it is, can be improved. And, it was. It was called FO2. R00fles!

LONG LIVE NWN! NWN IS GREATER THAN ALL OF US COMBINED!!!

Jora

Arcane
It really doesn't take too much brain power to undertand why Bioware can say NWN sucks but Obsidian can't. If it does, I suggest you stop reading intereviews altogether.

obediah

Erudite
Volourn said:
"if it had been, they wouldn't be 'building upon' its achievements. If it had been that good they wouldn't have much of anything to build upon."

That is silly. Just because something is good... even great.. doesn't mean its achievements can't be added or it can be improved.

Dear lord - Volly is right.

The end times are nigh brothers, get ye to shelter!

Drakron

Arcane
Volourn said:
Proof please. IIRC, what they said was, that it could ahve been much better. Not that it sucked. Dumbass.

If you think someone employed by BioWare is going to say "yep, we think it was pretty bad" is going to make that statement you are dead wrong.

They made HotU for single players since that was THE MAJORITY of NwN player base, BioWare learned at their own cost that multiplayer games still have a lower user base that single player ones ... they tried to make a MMORPG by stripping everything that makes people play then (social aspect and e-penis).

And no, I am not going to use the substandart pile of shit that is BioWare message board software to pull quotes ... if you want to discredit me then you have to supply your own proof since I belive my word carry far more weight that yours.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hahaha. I like it. You are beocming more Volournian every day! :D

Then again, you cum at the sight of POR2 so your thoughts on the subject ar emoot. Besides, you justa dmitted you were lying with this: If you think someone employed by BioWare is going to say "yep, we think it was pretty bad" is going to make that statement you are dead wrong. "

Game over.

elander_

Arbiter
It's interesting to see the record of Ferret Baudoin in moby games:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... erId,1258/

"Ferret Baudoin was credited on a game as early as 1997"

Ok the guy is a completely noobie in rpgs considering the games and the type of games he has been in. Unless this is a different FB in the link above.

As for Chris Parker:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... erId,5860/

Not as much a noobie as the first one considering he was actualy involved in some rpgs worth that name.

Jora

Arcane
elander_ said:

Ok the guy is a completely noobie in rpgs considering the games and the type of games he has been in. Unless this is a different FB in the link above.
Ferret worked on Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound and Fallout 3.

obediah

Erudite
Jora said:
elander_ said:

Ferret worked on Baldur's Gate 3: The Black Hound and Fallout 3.

I worked on a Fallout game as well. Unfortunately production stalled during the "pick a name for the directory" phase, and was stopped entirely when I sobered up (literaly) and realized I already had a job and school.

LlamaGod

Cipher
he did quality assurance in most of his games. Did design work on MechWarrior 4 expansions and KOTOR2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom