Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #46: Version 1.0.1.4 Release - Quality of Life Improvements

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

Underrail has just received its first major update since the game's release in December. The update's focus is on quality of life improvements, including user interface, combat speed and a few tweaks to the much-derided Deep Caverns area. The new post on the game's official development blog has the details, along with a collection of screenshots demonstrating the improvements:

Fonts - We've replaced one of the game's fonts to improve readability and also added more size options.

Outlines - We've added character outlines which should improve visibility and make targeting somewhat easier when things are happening behind walls and other obstacles.

Inventory filters - We've replaced inventory filter combo box with icons and also regrouped item categories in a way we believe will be most practical.

Combat stats tooltips - We've added descriptions for all the different stats in the combat stats window when you mouse over them.

Combat speed settings - Combat movement and action speed can now be adjusted in the game's options.

New save system - This is strictly under the hood thing and nothing is changed regarding how and when you can save or load the game (old saves are compatible with the new version). For those advanced users - we archived the separate zone files to improve save/load performance and also got rid of the temporary current game structure on the disk and moved it to memory.

Other minor stuff
  • Critical crossbow hits now also affect elemental damage (acid, shock and incendiary) from special bolts
  • When attacking in melee from stealth, target's dodge rating will be ignored if it hasn't detected you yet
  • Added more crafting components and ammo to Deep Caverns
  • Added a few more hints to certain Deep Caverns dialogs
  • Quinton's mushroom growing room is now accessible
  • Added a number of Lower and Upper Metro areas to better connect certain places
That's all for now. I hope you guys like the changes. As for what we'll be doing next - we'll primarily be working on more content for Underrail so stay tuned for more info on that in the coming months.​

The update also includes a host of bugfixes, which you can read about in the full post.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
People not being visible behind the walls and item filtering was definitely my top concern about the game. Thanks for carrying. BTW. when will the patch be available on GOG?

Aenra

World map per se would be nice, but it wouldn't affect gameplay on its own, so i don't see why he should consider that a priority. Anyway, if you just have to use one, http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maps
Now, a-la Fallout travel -with limitations, under certain conditions- would be something a nice world map could go along with.
(but when i mentioned that, certain basement lords went edgy/one-liner response activated, so there you go..)

Still a good patch, was admittedly expecting much less than what we got. Well done Styg :)

Couple of questions:
- Are there any limitations as to when/how often the combat and movement speed can change?
- Has the number of energy cells been tweaked in any way? (now that crossbow users have even more of a motive to hoard them?)
- Any plans to further reduce the RNG factor determining what vendor-sold items spawn at any given time? Or at the very least, reduce the re-spawning period?

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Very nice patch! All of these improvements are very much welcomed :bro:

Good thing I've delayed my Deep Caverns venture.

An option to increase the speed of animations in general would be good though. I mean I can always use cheat engine, but being able to do that from the game would be very welcome. I'm not talking increasing speed to ridiculous amounts, but I find x1,4 to be just fine. Walking back and forth in places like Core City can become very tiring, especially when you also consider the loading times from each area. Is it an engine limitation? If areas were x4 the size, there would be a lot less problematic to navigate.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Very good patch. I hope lots of special bolts were added to DC. I looted all I could find, I hope this patch spawns more instead of me being screwed. Maybe I can even bring myself to finish DC now.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Great changes, especially increased combat speed (and the font). It's a shame that walking can't be sped up from the options though and cheat engine is still a must. I don't care about world map though (in fact I prefer if there was none). The option to skip intros during arena matches would also be appreciated (Carnifex intro lasts 5 minutes FFS).

Shin

Cipher
Thanks for the improvement Styg.

Anyway, if you just have to use one, http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Maps
Now, a-la Fallout travel -with limitations, under certain conditions- would be something a nice world map could go along with.
(but when i mentioned that, certain basement lords went edgy/one-liner response activated, so there you go..)

Dang, if he only implemented that map I'd be so grateful. I don't think free-form fast travel would be a good idea, though I'd be nice if there were a few more static spots where you could fast travel from/to.

V_K

Arcane
Given Underrail's walking speed, something like Geneforge map travel would really be nice - being able to skip the areas that the game deems cleared and safe.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Nice changes. New font and outlines are much welcome. It was a pain in the ass if a door was in front of the enemy during combat.

I hate the new font. Is it possible to switch to the previous one? Styg

And the outlines. Useful for combat but very unpleasant otherwise. Can we have an option to turn them off globally, please? As in, an option where there will be no outlines even when you mouse over characters?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thanks for the saving/loading performance improvement. Only one p.irritating thing in my playthrough because I didn't played too far.

If it were fundamentally wrong, they couldn't get it right the first time. Readibility size notwithstanding, the old font was stylistically better.

Speaking of fundamental wrongs, see how Underrail got stealth just fucking right the first time? Unlike a certain other, balanced-obsessed piece of shit developer? Ahem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom