Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Escapist gets a look at The Eyeless in Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Dimitri Berman; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Pillars of Eternity: The White March

For this week's event in their modest PR campaign for the concluding chapter of the Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion, Obsidian have given The Escapist an exclusive look at the expansion's villains, a race of terrifying god-forged giants known as The Eyeless. In addition to some renders and a couple of screenshots that demonstrate just how giant they are, there's also a short description from Josh Sawyer and character artist Dimitri Berman. I quote:

Obsidian Entertainment's Pillars of Eternity was a smash hit when it was released last year. It was soon followed by The White Marsh Part 1 expansion, taking players even deeper into the mysteries of Eora.

Now, with the final installment of that expansion coming on February 16 in the form of The White March - Part 2, we get a glimpse at The Eyeless, massive creatures that players will encounter and be forced to defeat to move through the game.

"At the beginning of the second part of The White March, the Watcher has a dream in which they see terrible visions of these monstrous creatures sweeping across the Eastern Reach, destroying every settlement and overpowering every army in their path." said Josh Sawyer, Obsidian's game director for the series. "It's unclear where the Eyeless have come from and why they would want to destroy civilization, but the Watcher's dream puts them on a path to find out why."

And since the story calls for The Eyeless, it's up to the character artist team to bring them to life.

"From the start, we knew the Eyeless had to be really unique," said Dimitri Berman, lead character artist on Pillars of Eternity. "The story called for a race of beings forged by a god, so at once it was an exciting challenge. The Eyeless had to be practical because they were built for a purpose, but they were also truly alien to Eora, so we tried to convey that in their statuesque form. We also imagined the god could forge with both bronze and organic matter indiscriminately, and sometimes might blend the two, so there are parts where the internal metal skeleton reveals itself through the thin moon-flesh."
Pretty scary. Although they also remind me a little of Hoborg from The Neverhood. :P

duanth123

Arcane
From the start, we knew the Eyeless had to be really unique

SI-creature-Jyggalag.jpg

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
In fairness, some differences emerge in closeups

creature concepts are created through silhouette first. now paint both creatures black and compare the thumbnails: the spikes extruding above the shoulders, the elongated head, the slender figure, a weapon extending one arm. they both share peculiar similarities, and looked from afar there's not much difference.

Sannom

Augur
In fairness, some differences emerge in closeups:
Maybe use the ones without the spikes protruding out of his back?

What the hell are those things anyways? The Eyeless' conception of a quiver?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't be surprised if they have an ability that lets them throw one of those things at you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom