Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with David Gaider

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; David Gaider

David Gaider of <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a> fame was kind enough to drop everything and <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=123>answer a few questions</a> about ... well, a lot of things, so you better see for yourself. Here is a snipet:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>2. Turn-based vs real-time, your thoughts? Disclaimer: I'm not asking if Bioware would ever make a TB game or which system is better. I'm asking for your own opinion, preferences, even bias - anything goes.</b>
<br>
<br>
I enjoy a good turn-based combat system. “Temple of Elemental Evil” did it very well, I thought, and I remember the first “X-Com” game being one of my all-time faves (though it’s not an RPG, of course). I remember when “X-Com: Apocalypse” came out, however, and it was going from turn-based to pauseable real-time combat and the fans of the series were in an uproar – me included – enough so that the developers put in a way to optionally use the old turn-based system instead. Much to my surprise I actually found that I enjoyed the real-time combat more. It was faster, and so long as I could still pause and give orders I still felt I had the ability to oversee and control everything that I wanted to. When I played “Baldur’s Gate” (which was before I started at Bioware), I found I really enjoyed the pauseable real-time combat there, too, even if it could get a bit hectic during large combats. Full real-time, however, the kind where you can’t give orders while paused – that stuff I just have no time for. It’s the main reason I don’t play most RTS games.</blockquote>
<br>
<a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=123>There is more where it came from</a>
<br>
<br>

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
David Gaider said:
I’ll avoid the whole “uncanny valley” argument and say that the more that you show the less that you can effectively describe. One could probably argue that moving to a level of detail where you see every bead of sweat and every emotion animated for you to see leaves less for the imagination to do, and that this is a bad thing, but perhaps it doesn’t need to be.

While I can understand the immersion factor of "seeing the fear in the orc's eyes", I still think there would be a place for text to augment the visuals. For example to emulate the senses that graphics and sound can't, such as smell ("This cave has a thick smell of rotting flesh"), touch and thermoception, maybe even taste. It should also be used in conjunction with the character's abilities, so while the that a character with the appropriate skills would get more information than what's just visible on the screen.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I think we're neglecting Volourn. He's trolled this interview several times and I don't think anyone's even bothered to respond to him.

Volourn, is NWN a better game than Daggerfall?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
As much as i love Volourn's trolling, i think people are trying to prevent the thread from getting hijacked by acknowledging him.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
LOL People just don't want to admit the interview questions are full of lies. They don't want to see VD be shown for the liar he is.

R00fles!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
LOL People just don't want to admit the interview questions are full of lies. They don't want to see VD be shown for the liar he is.

R00fles!

I'd call them opinions rather than lies, but that's just me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Really?

Saying all BIO RPGs are class based is an opinion? WOW!

In one question he calls BIO games RPGs than later on he says they are 'adventure games with stats'. Well.. which is it? Be consistent at least.

The list can go on.

It's rather embarassing to read the fall of VD espicially when he looks to be making a good game with all his errors, lies, and balony.

Sad, really. :cry: :cry: :cry:

obediah

Erudite
Volourn said:
Really?

I would guess it's based on his knowledge of BIO RPGs. I don't know of any that aren't class based. Maybe you're thinking of JE, which is console-only, and has only one class - button masher ninja. If not what game(s) are you thinking of?

In one question he calls BIO games RPGs than later on he says they are 'adventure games with stats'. Well.. which is it? Be consistent at least.

Well he didn't say that, and what he was saying is pretty clear to anyone with ... oh wait, you get a pass there.

The list can go on.

Please, do indulge yourself. It will make you feel better, and it will make the rest of us feel better too.

It's rather embarassing to read the fall of VD espicially when he looks to be making a good game with all his errors, lies, and balony.

Your stance on NWN makes so much sense now, knowing that you think errors, lies, and baloney are key ingredients to making a good game.

I'm not sure how you could possibly have any embarassment left.

Sad, really. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I would guess it's based on his knowledge of BIO RPGs. I don't know of any that aren't class based. Maybe you're thinking of JE, which is console-only, and has only one class - button masher ninja. If not what game(s) are you thinking of?"

JE has no classes. At all. period. It's a lie as VD is supposed to be Mr. Knowledgable. Or he can feign ignorance which is just as bad when he tried to pretend to be knowledgable.

"Well he didn't say that"

Uhuh. Did you read the interview?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ok, I admit, I made it all up. There is no person by the name of David Gaider working for Bioware. In fact, I'm not sure if Bioware is a real company. Please forgive me.

Volourn said:
Which one isn't? We don't cover or care about console games, and I haven't played JE, so if it's not class-based, you are right. I guess I should have said PC RPGs, but not everyone is so anal-retentive, so...

I said MORE OF not ARE.

Spazmo

Erudite
So Volourn can point out two technicalities and then claim that the entire interview is "LIES; and innuendo" or something? I'd say he's just stunned that after three years of trashing everything they do to varying degrees, a BioWare employee would still take the time to talk to VD, while all he has for Volourn is the suggestion that Vollie fuck off.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Eh.. I gave 2 exmaples. I don't n eed to bother with me.

Mr. Gaider has no problem with discussing things with me. Though; I'm sure like everyone else, I'm not his favorite poster. LOL

He doens't have time to get interviewed from me 'cause I'm no interviewer hence I have never asked. LOL

And, he told me to 'fuck off' because I had said BIO games suck.

Hahahaha.

"Which one isn't? We don't cover or care about console games, and I haven't played JE, so if it's not class-based, you are right. I guess I should have said PC RPGs, but not everyone is so anal-retentive, so..."

Tough shit. You said 'all BIO RPGs'. Therefore you either lied or are simply ignorant like all the mass media types the Codex whines about and hence ar eno better than they are.

R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Can't I be both? Why do I have to pick?"

LOL :D

"Why did you say Bio games suck when you're their biggest fan?"

Tool. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I'm too weak for physical violence. Str3, Int3, Chr3 is a bad combination folks.

Balor

Arcane
@ Volourn:
DRIED FROG PILLS. LOTS OF DRIED FROG PILLS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom