Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment: Tides of Numenera released on Steam Early Access

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

As promised, inXile released the Torment: Tides of Numenera beta on Steam Early Access today, bringing its five days of Early Early Access to an end. It's priced at $45 - significantly less than the cheapest beta Kickstarter tier, but on par with the cost of a minimum tier plus beta addon, which is fair I guess. Here's a short launch trailer they put together, plus the game's Early Access FAQ:

Why Early Access?

“Originally launched on Kickstarter in early 2013 after our successful crowdfunding of Wasteland 2, the first part of Torment: Tides of Numenera is now ready for the fans who helped make it happen and anyone looking for deep, reactive gameplay and a rich narrative experience.

Our experience with Wasteland 2 on Steam Early Access led to it being one of the first success stories on the platform, enabling it to become a bigger, better game - all thanks to your valuable input. We want to recreate that success with Torment: Tides of Numenera and push it even further. We will be actively listening to your feedback on all aspects of the game, from our graphics and art, to interface, to gameplay systems and, of course, story and characters, in order to create a worthy successor to the Torment legacy.

We're not the only developers who have had success with Early Access. Many of our friends have had great success with doing high-quality RPGs on the platform as well, such as Divinity: Original Sin. What we’ve found is that by interacting with our fans and players, we’re able to ensure that we are delivering experiences that meet, and surpass, expectations. By buying Torment: Tides of Numenera in Early Access, you too can have a hand in crafting the spiritual follow-up to one of the most legendary RPGs of all time.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“A huge reason our previous Early Access title, Wasteland 2, was such a success was that we listened intently to community feedback and adjusted large sections of our design in response. Thus, we try to remain as flexible with our production scheduling as possible in order to ensure we release a game worthy of your patience and support. That said, we’re as anxious as anyone to release the final version.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“Torment is a single-player, deeply story-driven RPG. That means that while we are giving you the first chapter in the story, we are saving the later chapters for the final release. Additionally, with your feedback, we will continue to add new gameplay features and improvements to balance, update our visuals, sound, interface, and more. And that doesn't even touch on the additions to the storyline, conversations and characters you will meet in the game, which we also hope to flesh out even more.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“This version of Torment is close to feature complete and contains most of the first major location of the game. Throughout Early Access, we will iterate and improve on features and content in the game, and roll out changes for you so that we can get your feedback and insight for what works.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“It has yet to be determined whether the price of the game will change during or after early access.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We built a 'Feedback' button right into the game so we can gather your feedback on all aspects of the game, from our graphics, to interface, to gameplay systems and, of course, story and characters. Our experience with Wasteland 2 on Steam Early Access led to it being one of the first success stories on the platform, enabling it to become a bigger, better game thanks to your valuable input. We want to recreate that success with Torment: Tides of Numenera and push things even farther in order to create a worthy successor to the Torment legacy.”
If you'd like to know more about the Torment beta, there are reviews at PCGamesN and Rock Paper Shotgun. The consensus seems to be "wait".

MrE

Literate
Couldn't care less about the price after early access, not going to play until patched a few times at least.

As to the verdicts by the 'reviewers' - I'm sure it's going to be fixed reasonably by the time of the release. But, as I said, waiting a bit more surely won't hurt anyone. So, all in all, I'd agree with them (about waiting), not necessarily for the reasons they deem important (I'm pretty sure it's going to be a decent game overall).

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
I kinda liked it. No bugs so far for me. Maybe the Specter & Tides scene looks not right in place. But the story is already draws me in. Most writing are what I expected. Battles are interesting enough. That's shaping nice overall for me.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
The consensus is unsurprising. Wouldn't touch any 'early access' with a 10-foot rusty halberd.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Which says same things, start has too much reading and not enough doing and the game crashes and it is buggy.
It also compares it with PST start and finds it less interesting.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
“We built a 'Feedback' button right into the game so we can gather your feedback on all aspects of the game, from our graphics, to interface, to gameplay systems and, of course, story and characters.

People are paying the writers to come up with this stuff, not the dumb-ass fans. I hope they're not actually listening to most of the feedback unless it is stuff related to bugs, typos, etc.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not going to ruin my experience with this game by playing a buggy early access version of it.

Graphics seems okay, a bit better than PoE... All the other PoE references make me cringe and worry a heck of a lot more than I should about a game that's supposed to be a successor to PS:T.

Weasel
I know it's the same shit every time, but I think they need to think carefully about the interaction between KS and Early Access, as some people have a better case than others. I'd say have a much longer beta just for KS beta pledgers and then when EA is opened up give it to all KS backers too. Eg, this situation:

I backed at $110 3 years ago, but apparently my money is not good enough, but Joe Newpurchaser can instantly get access by paying the $45 for the Steam version.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
He donated $110 on Kickstarter instead of purchasing the game for $45 on Steam. Perfectly clear situation. If I give $50k to Doctors Without Borders, I don't expect free chemotherapy in exchange either.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe they should learn KS pledge tiers are just "pay what you want" and the rewards are some compensation to make it more attractive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty sure they will give the beta to all the backers eventually, like Wasteland 2 did in its last few months of development.

Weasel
He donated $110 on Kickstarter instead of purchasing the game for $45 on Steam. Perfectly clear situation. If I give $50k to Doctors Without Borders, I don't expect free chemotherapy in exchange either.

:lol:

Personally I wouldn't like to play an unfinished version of a game like this (thankfully early access wasn't a thing back when PST came out) but this sort of shit causes extra butthurt so could probably be managed slightly better

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

This guy gets it.

A shame 99 % of the worlds population of mouthbreathers don't. Ah well.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

:lol:

Personally I wouldn't like to play an unfinished version of a game like this (thankfully early access wasn't a thing back when PST came out) but this sort of shit causes extra butthurt so could probably be managed slightly better

Yes, managed with a fucking sledgehammer to the face, bashing in the skulls of all the whiny cunts who were too dumb to figure out anything.

Septaryeth

Augur

Wait until you see THIS guy.

Its not necessarily how much you spend either. I purchased this package no beta, which was fine until you publicly release it on steam. They can spin it however they want but if you put it on steam EA its a release. Anyone can get in for $45 bucks. I'm thinking about refunding this and just getting it off steam after its released and goes on steam sale. The other stuff was kind of fun but meh whatever.

It seems someone was under the impression that a kickstarted game should ONLY be released to its backers, making it a public release is undermining our privilege as a shareholder.

What a way to start my day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom