Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 323: Interview with Styg, Part Two

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Matt Barton; Stygian Software; Underrail

The second episode of Matt Barton's interview with Underrail developer Styg is dedicated to asking various questions from viewers, including several from our forums. Topics include the development of Underrail's proprietary game engine, the design of its combat system, and the Codex's favorite topic, cooldowns. Check it out:

The interview doesn't really have time to go in-depth on any one topic - I would have wanted to hear more about why Styg prefers single-character RPGs, for instance. But there is one more episode still left.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
- On cooldowns:
It's an abstract mechanism, to keep everything in check. It's one way to do things, not the best way or worst way.
I understand that some people don't like it, but I don't mind them.

GWvSNFA.gif

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"I'm a traditionalist, you HAVE to have rats!"

"AH, cooldowns. That's another question from RPG Codex probably"

Oh Styg! :love::love::love:

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Styg

:bro:

matt chat said:
...I'm reading some Conan novels by Robert Jordan, you know the guy that wrote Wheel of time, you guys let me know if there are any other good Conan books...

GIF--Not-Impressed-Eww-Euw-Awful-Bad-not-impressed-disgust-sad-Al-Bundy-GIF.gif

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Styg and Codex go very well:
https://youtu.be/kj3TcNKffZU?t=14m25s

"If you find some powerful build/item and want to keep it you better keep quiet about it because I'll nerf it" :troll:
I can already see users wanting to imitate Pope Amole or Eyestabber and hitting a wall because Styg would change things and their tips would no longer apply. I can give you my tip (that I gave to some user) that Styg should troll and change:

Pickpocketing above 60 is rather pointless. With that number (actually it was 45 but thanks to my Dex at 8 I got +15 bonus) I could pickpocket almost anyone and I've managed to get every unique oddity (which weren't that many mind you, it was worth maybe 5 XP in all IIRC with every oddity worth only 1 XP) and had way more hypos, super hypos, adrenaline, morphine, ammo, etc. than I could use. And you can always eat eel sandwich to increase your dexterity and get a bonus if someone has an oddity but your skill is too low (I haven't used that trick for that though, didn't have to).

loving the interview and the game! Surely would like to see a making of documentary with the team having a hard time with the company and spending money on booze and hookers in the end of development ( I'm looking at you POE!).

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Pickpocketing above 60 is rather pointless.

Throwing is rather pointless above 0. With 0 points, I have a 23% or 26% chance to hit my closer enemies. This is already retarded, I should have 5% max with 0 points, but it gets worse. I can hit them 7 out 10 with 26%, which is retarded.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Cooldowns are an abstract mechanism, to keep everything in check. It's one way to do things, not the best way or worst way. I understand that some people don't like it, but I don't mind them.
So much for the importance of feedback. There is no reason whatsoever to have cooldowns for healthy hypos and bandages outside combat. It’s just a nuisance.

"I'm a traditionalist, you HAVE to have rats!"

Well, I’m bit of a traditionalist too. I enjoy basic things like maps, the ability to run, etc. One Some developers think these obvious things are not a good idea, but I don’t mind him them.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Sup Lurker King? Butt still hurts Underrail is liked more than Age Of Turds, and deservedly so?

You could say I'm a traditionalist codexer, the butthurt of others soothes my butthurt.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
6a00d83451c28269e2015436dfcc6e970c-400wi

Look, son. That is what we call a fanboy. It’s a very aggressive and irrational species. You must be very careful around them.

Sup Lurker King? Butt still hurts Underrail is liked more than Age Of Turds, and deservedly so?

You could say I'm a traditionalist codexer, the butthurt of others soothes my butthurt.

I'm feeling how rad you are. I understand that your whole "I can't appreciate a game made by Vault Dweller" attitude makes you incapable of expressing a honest opinion about AoD. Ok, whatever. The fact is that I love both games and have more than 150 hours in each one. That doesn’t mean that I can't make obvious criticisms and point flaws. Regarding your “more liked” fallacy. PoE and Undertale are liked more than Underrail too, that doesn’t mean that they are any good.

epeli

Arcane
Could have left the codex meme question out and spent that time on something interesting instead... :M

Throwing is rather pointless above 0. With 0 points, I have a 23% or 26% chance to hit my closer enemies. This is already retarded, I should have 5% max with 0 points, but it gets worse. I can hit them 7 out 10 with 26%, which is retarded.

I don't understand, why would Age of Decadence fan consider that retarded? Nets and bolas in AoD have even higher (static 100% and 100%/75%) hit chances regardless of attacker's/target's stats, range or any other modifiers. Ditto for AoEs like bombs and liquid fire, they always hit the designated area.

Nets and other single-target throwables in Underrail need throwing skill or they will be easily evaded. Damage of throwing knives also directly scales from throwing skill. You can lob grenades and hit something even with 0 throwing skill since they have a large AoE, but even grenades are most effective at the center of their AoE; more damage, more shrapnel hits, higher intensity gas clouds or fires.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I don't understand, why would Age of Decadence fan would consider that retarded? Nets and bolas in AoD have even higher (static 100% and 100%/75%) hit chances regardless of attacker's/target's stats, range or any other modifiers.

That is completely irrational. If a game I enjoy have a retarded mechanic, this just imply that a game I enjoy have a retarded mechanic. Moreover, AoD has things like reactivity and good writing besides the good combat. So you tend to be more forgiving towards these minor combat flaws.

Ditto for AoE's like bombs and liquid fire, they always hit the designated area.

Ok, that makes sense.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"I can't appreciate a game made by Vault Dweller" attitude makes you incapable of expressing a honest opinion about AoD.

Oh, I expressed an honest opinion multiple times. It is my honest opinion that the game sucks, if that wasn't clear.

Look, son. That is what we call a fanboy. It’s a very aggressive and irrational species. You must be very careful around them.

Yeah, like those who think AoD is the most awesome game and froth at the mouth if it's being criticized.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It's certainly not "more liked" on the Codex, it's either 50-50 or a slight AoD advantage. And that was before most people even got to crappy Deep Caverns. As for your "deservedly so", I'm still waiting for your reply to my post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-game-of-the-year.106067/page-4#post-4311525
I'm pretty sure you won't reply though, since all you can write about AoD is that it's shit without actual arguments. Or you're just making things up.

Diggfinger

Arcane
So how many copies did the game sell? Styg is kindda vague on it.

Steamspy claims that around 35.000-40.000 people own it on Steam. If we say average price is 12$ that means around 420.000$- 480.000$
Added to this is the GOG numbers. Dont know how much it sold, but it stayed around 2 weeks on the top 5 (over xmas!), which seems quite strong.

Anyway. Would be interested to how many copies it sold, Styg - or is that secret info?

- Digg

Awakened_Yeti

Arcane
Developer

Steamspy claims that around 35.000-40.000 people own it on Steam. If we say average price is 12$ that means around 420.000$- 480.000$
Added to this is the GOG numbers. Dont know how much it sold, but it stayed around 2 weeks on the top 5 (over xmas!), which seems quite strong.

Anyway. Would be interested to how many copies it sold, Styg - or is that secret info?

- Digg

damn... knew I should have asked for royalties..

ArchAngel

Arcane

- Digg
Most of those sales were during Early Access when the game was like 8-9$. Also Steam takes a 30% cut

Fry

Arcane
Most of those sales were during Early Access when the game was like 8-9$. Also Steam takes a 30% cut

Also taxes (both US and Serbia, probably).

Of course, this is balanced by the fact you can probably buy a nice house in Serbia for USD $35,000.

flabbyjack

Arcane

Also taxes (both US and Serbia, probably).

Of course, this is balanced by the fact you can probably buy a nice house in Serbia for USD $35,000.
With or without goats?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom