Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Torment Kickstarter Update #52: New Mark Morgan Track, Circus Minor Screenshot

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Heine; Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Mark Morgan; Torment: Tides of Numenera

With the Torment: Tides of Numenera beta due for release in just three days, inXile have published a new Kickstarter update to ramp up the hype. There's no major new information here, just some goodies - a music track by Mark Morgan, which is evidently the main background music for the city of Sagus Cliffs, and a screenshot of Circus Minor, an area within that same city, along with a description by Adam Heine. Check 'em out:

New Music Track - Sagus Cliffs Exterior

As many of you know, we have worked with famed videogame composer Mark Morgan for several years now on both Torment as well as Wasteland 2. Mark is of course known for his soundtracks to Fallout 1 and 2, but he was also the composer for the iconic soundtrack to Planescape: Torment.

Our collaboration with Mark has produced some amazing music which maintains, but also matures the spirit of Torment, and today we want to debut a brand-new song from him, which you will hear as you explore the exterior environments of Sagus Cliffs.

A Look at Circus Minor

Adam here. As we mentioned in our last update, the city of Sagus Cliffs is divided up into districts. The first one that you will come across is called Circus Minor.

Circus Minor is the vibrant heart of Sagus Cliffs, a bustling combination of festival and marketplace. When public events (or executions) are held, they always take place among the crowds and merchant stalls for all to see. Circus Minor is essentially a middle-class district, but all the classes mingle here, along with artists, performers, visitants, and other strange characters.

Circus Minor is a lively place, with merchant stalls, tents and caravans lining its streets, and banners floating in the breeze above. Greenery is more commonplace here than in the other districts.

Yet there is mystery to be found. Pieces of ancient numenera jutting out from the ground are decorated and repurposed by the inhabitants. Some serve as streetlights, others have been turned to other uses, but the original functions of all these ancient constructions are now long-forgotten. And all of these are dominated by the Clock, a giant numenera artifact towering above the district, endlessly ticking away, existing within different dimensions and time periods simultaneously.

Circus Minor serves as an introduction to Sagus Cliffs, and as such, it is a relatively non-hostile place, with many interesting characters to speak to and strange and wonderful things to find. Many important quests and details about the world can be found here, and the Last Castoff will return to it plenty of times while exploring Sagus Cliffs' other districts.
This update is the second in the series of "Road to Beta" updates, so perhaps we can expect yet more goodies in the coming days.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I just hope that not all the game is going to be so colourful. Now it's a bit like BG2.

EDIT:
IT'S SHIT

Last edited:

Howdy

I just hope that not all game is going to be so colourful. Now it's a bit like BG2.

Agree. That architecture is as far away as I envisioned the game was going to look. Medieval fayre style.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haha. I remember during the Kickstarter people were complaining that the Bloom is too brown.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's amazing how you people can find something to bitch about when there's literally nothing concrete yet.

Gondolin

Arcane
I just hope that not all game is going to be so colourful. Now it's a bit like BG2.

Agree. That architecture is as far away as I envisioned the game was going to look. Medieval fayre style.

As opposed to the weird and interesting

204414-torment___clerk_s_ward___1600x1200.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
i could definitely tell that's from Torment though.

as the other dude said, the former looks like Defiance Bay.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
look good, sounds good.

would look better with 2d chars and would sound better with more melody in the music, but with inxile art department and mark morgan, that ain't gonna happen.

perhaps add counter-shadows to dispel some of that "floating 3d character" look.

Kron

Arcane
Holy shit, the game looks ugly.
If they put out concrete pics, you can bet people are going to nitpick and bitch about them, so let's get down to it!

The problem is that it looks like there is nothing holding those generic fantasy things together; no unified palette, no similar art direction, no sense of them belonging together; just colorful fantasy stuff thrown in there to make it look "crazy".

Planescape Torment already walked the fine line between moody/cool and plain "crazy" for craziness' sake, but at least it did so with style and a sense of unity and cohesiveness.

hive033.gif

himmy

Arcane
Complaining that "a bustling combination of festival and marketplace" isn't more gray and lifeless? New low for reading comprehension.

Kron

Arcane
Wow, some of you people are really experiencing some sort of Stockholm syndrome with these shitty crowdfunded games. Just dying to like the game, no matter how bad it looks.

It's not a matter of it being a festive marketplace, it just looks bad. Yeah, I prefer grey and rusted landscapes, but that doesn't mean the pics they provide look good. You can go colorful festival and still make it look good.

maxresdefault.jpg

DeepOcean

Arcane
Complaining that "a bustling combination of festival and marketplace" isn't more gray and lifeless? New low for reading comprehension.
This carnival needs some mud on the streets and be more dirty. The screenshot reminds me too much of Defiance Bay where the streets were cleaned by OCD trash collectors.

Prime Junta

I am offended by those cobblestones. Nobody lays down cobblestones like that.

Fry

Arcane
Given the setting, I wouldn't expect much uniformity in environment art.

Darkzone

Arcane
Perhaps they have their strict litter laws with draconian ruling for littering and a clean up mud and everything Nano. Also this is a stone cliff (wind and water is quite near) so there is very few sand for mud puddles. The people are 3d models that use mostly the same animations so if you have a problem with it then tell that they should use different motion packages for different figures. There are many different packages in the Unity asset store with many different animations and some are even done with motion capture, so tell inXile that some few bucks they can invest into this thing.

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
I am offended by those cobblestones. Nobody lays down cobblestones like that.
Despite that this sounds like a troll post, i have to admit that somehow it is really weird laid out and is changing the directions in in some places at around 90° and that is unusual. Normally this is done more organic with more slight curves, or like a zipper.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom