Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Mitch Gitelman talks Shadowrun and BattleTech at Gamereactor

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: BattleTech; Harebrained Schemes; Mitch Gitelman; Necropolis; Shadowrun: Hong Kong; Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong

The year 2016 has begun in earnest, which means we should be getting news about the sequel mini-campaign for Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun: Hong Kong any day now. Earlier this month, Harebrained's Mitch Gitelman was interviewed by the folks at Gamereactor, where he spoke about the mini-campaign, and also about Necropolis, BattleTech, the rigors of Kickstarter development, and most interestingly, the long-term future of Shadowrun. Here's an excerpt:

You've got so many different things going on so we thought we'd catch up and get an update on what's happening. Can you give us a brief overview of what's going on at the studio at the moment?

Mitch Gitelman: Oh my. Well let's see, we are hard at work on pre-production on Battletech after closing our kickstarter in October. So we got a pre-production team rolling there, a lot of good things are happening between now and the end of the year. A lot of documentation during prototyping, that kind of thing, and the BattleTech team is very excited.

We also have the Shadowrun team, who are doing Shadowrun: Hong Kong, they're also fulfilling a Kickstarter reward right now creating a mini-campaign that happens right after the events of Shadowrun: Hong Kong. So you can take your high level character from the end of Shadowrun: Hong Kong and import it into this new mini-campaign. I think it's going to be about a five hour campaign or so. Depending on the level of detail you play at it could be about seven hours. So that's coming out early next year. Also for Shadowrun: Hong Kong we just recorded an audio commentary to give to backers, so you'll be able to play through the game and as you enter different scenes you'll see a little icon. When you click it you'll hear the development teams' voices describe the making of that particular level, that kind of thing.

That's BattleTech and that's Shadowrun and the other big news from the studio is our big new title Necropolis is coming out early next year. Necropolis is a 3D dungeon dive, an action game, a timing based game, kind of in the Dark Souls model. We married that with procedurally generated roguelike games. In this one the idea is you go as far as you can, die, start over again. Get as far as you can, get a little further, die and along the way pick up all sorts of magic items and weapons and stuff like that to level up yourself. There's some crafting involved. The marriage of a 3D action game and a roguelike, we feel it's going to be a big addictive draw for people. That's a completely new and original title as well, that's not one of our old licenses that we brought back, so we're really excited about Necropolis too and that's coming to Steam early next year.

That's comforting. We've touched on BattleTech and Necropolis a lot, but I guess Shadowrun remains a very important part of what you do and you are honouring that final Kickstarter, Hong Kong. Do you see Shadowrun expanding beyond Hong Kong or are you taking a break from that with BattleTech?

Yeah we're definitely taking a break for BattleTech, because the Shadowrun team is going to move over and working on it as well. We're going to step back from Shadowrun for a while, let people rest. We put out three games in three years. A couple of things about Shadowrun. First of all we love Shadowrun. Shadowrun is now part of the DNA of our studio now and so for example, on the anniversary of the Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter, we celebrate. We get a cake.

Shadowrun was the time when we developed our reputation, it's where we developed our relationship with our audience. When we did the Kickstarter for Shadowrun Returns there were eight of us in a storage closet. No joke, we were renting storage space from another game developer and making games in the storage space.

It really is the little cauldron that we sort of bubbled out of. We take it very seriously and we love it. We would love to go back to it. I think one of the greatest things about Shadowrun, it's a great science fiction setting, not just a fantasy setting. Speculate, when you travel around the world the way we're doing from Seattle to Berlin to Hong Kong. When we return to Shadowrun we intend to return to a different place in the world, to see how you know, 50 years and the return of magic affects different cultures around the world. We think that's fun. Shadowrun: Hong Kong, the story couldn't have happened anywhere else other than Hong Kong, just like Berlin in Dragonfall. It couldn't have happened anywhere else other than the city of Berlin. So that's what we are attempting to do as we go all around the world but, I think the game will need to take a different form in the future. Probably fully 3D. We'll see what happens. We have to keep up with the times.

Don't say that, that might be the opposite of what the fans want.

Well it depends on what you mean. We created a very old school game engine. Our stories were very modern stories. I'm really proud of our story telling and how it improved over time. But the production values and things like that, limit it in the market. We'll see what happens when we come back to it. Maybe something closer to Xcom. In terms of production values, like being able to rotate the map and things like that, being able to go upstairs.

But of course not moving it to a different perspective something crazy like that, that's been attempted in the past.

Oh no, we're not going to make a first-person shooter or something like that.
Not very surprising, even just considering that they'll want to reuse their BattleTech engine.

Shin

Cipher
I'd welcome any more SR related projects from HBS. I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but I thought SR:HK was fine for what it was. In my mind they're 'lite' RPG's which could definitely use some more depth in it's mechanics. But unlike, say, PoE, I don't go 'meh' each time the franchise is mentioned. HBS is cool.

Prime Junta

Funny how history repeats itself. Turn-based to real-time to full 3D to first/third person and so on.

Blackstaff

Arbiter
I guess they want 3D for features like destructible covers or elevation shots.

We'll see where they go with shadowrun after battletech and their experience with a full 3D game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So that's what we are attempting to do as we go all around the world but, I think the game will need to take a different form in the future. Probably fully 3D.

:shunthenonbeliever:

campaign_dos2.jpg

I mean, really...

SwiftCrack

Arcane
All three HBS Shadowrun games are worth playing.

Can't wait for BattleTech.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

We'll see where they go with shadowrun after battletech and their experience with a full 3D game.

Couldn't elevation and some destructibles be implemented without going full 3d?

Most of the art in the new SR games looks great, no need for changes there. Just ditch Unity.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Of course. Destructible cover is as simple as a dummy unit; they already have line of sight mechanics in play, they'd just need to populate a map with crates or whatever they want to serve as cover and give them finite hp values. You might need to do extra fiddling when it comes to AoE propagating through barriers, but that's true of a 3D engine as well anyways. So basically destuctibles are already in the Shadowrun games. I'd assume some mods have used them by now.

And faux 3D terrain has even been on consoles since the SNES. And there's X-Com of course, which did multiple z-levels on the same tile and destructible terrain.

Yeah, RIP.
I concur. Map rotation in isometric games requires a ton more effort on the part of the designers/artists, and in the end it looks shittier anyways because it's essentially impossible to do good aesthetic composition when some twat is viewing it from the wrong angle. In the end you gain very very little

Blackstaff

Arbiter
Oh common...

You can do simili destructible covers and same with elevation SNES style ala zelda, but their problem is a production value one : they want to make games that goes wow for 2016 and the years to come. Games that can be sold 40-50 euros pieces without having the steam forum popafags shitting everywhere because "IT SUCKS! IT4S SO UGLY!!11!!" or "ARE WE STILL IN 1992 HERE!!11!1".

Games like Wasteland 2 or divinity : original sin...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
All three HBS Shadowrun games are worth playing.

Can't wait for BattleTech.

You're joking right? Returns is so mediocre, linear, piss easy combat, no reason to even concentrate on any particular build as there's barely enough combat to notice a difference since you can hire what you lack. I finished it but it ranks just above RPG maker bundle garbage as a game never mind a RPG. Though I did like the clean interface and neat graphics and some of the writing. I can't believe so much of the Codex praised it.....PoE shits on Shadowrun series, even version 1.0 never mind DOS!

Severian Silk

Most of the art in the new SR games looks great, no need for changes there. Just ditch Unity.
But X-COM and Jagged Alliance 2 were both full 3D. So it can't be done.

Perkel

Arcane
Decline incoming.

They have good sudo2D engine that works well and looks amazing but noo let's move to 3D add rotation (which doesn't add anything) let's get Xcom style camera closeups and other shit. Surely this will make it better game.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
For fuck's sake, do the game full 3d if you like, but limit the perspective and don't allow for map rotation.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I don't get it. I don't understand what they did with the last KS money for SRHK. The implant part of the body skill was neat, but not 1mil dollars neat. Neither was the revamp matrix 1mil dollars neat. I don't know why they needed the money or what they did with it, but I don't think it went to SRHK.

I hate this. Instead of giving their paying audience what they want they are doing what Larian is doing and what has hurt these guys in the past as well with their FPS. They want to be big fancy smancy console game devs and make flashy games with no depth. I don't trust these guys. Instead of saying they want to impement more depth, more character creation and development options, a better iteration of the SR rules, better combat - no - they want better production value and full 3d. Well fuck you. I want a better crpg.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom